Please review my training program

150Doc150

Reaction score
Tldr: Please let me know if my routine looks good or not.

Morning all,

Background wise, I've done very little gym stuff before and whilst reasonably fit, I have poor upper-body strength.

My PRMC is end of July, but I have to pass the "in-house" RMFA by 7th July latest to be loaded onto my PRMC.

I know I have a lot of work to do, and a decent amount of free-time at the moment, so please let me know if this seems to fit the bill!

Monday
  • AM:
    • 2 x BFT
      • Broken into: 1.5 mile in 12.5 mins, 1.5 mile best effort, 1.5 mile best effort, 1.5 mile 12.5 minutes.
  • PM:
    • RMFA (excluding the BFT), done to bleep to benchmark each week.
Tuesday:

• AM
    • 8 mile best effort
  • PM
    • Gym^
    • "Laddering"
Wednesday
  • Push-ups, sit-ups, Pull-ups* to failure x6 sets.
Thursday
  • AM
    • Hill Sprints
  • PM
    • Recovery swim (I am a good swimmer and breaststroke is already my strongest stroke so not too worried about the swimming element of the test. Will practice a couple of "grab the imaginary brick" as part of this).
    • "Laddering"
Friday
  • AM
    • 5 miles best effort
  • PM
    • Gym^
    • "Laddering"
Saturday
  • Park Run
Sunday
  • AM
    • 8 miles best effort
  • PM
    • Gym^
    • "Laddering"

"Laddering" = The gainer routine. E.g. 1st day: 20, 20, 20 sit ups, then 2nd day: 21, 20, 20 sit ups, 3rc: 21, 21, 20.

*Pull-ups: Still can't do a pull-up, been given some good advice on here about how to build up. For the aspects on here which involve it, I'll do an alternative like negatives, or pulling myself up to a table etc.

^Gym: As I said, not experienced in the gym, so any tips on how to build upper-body strength without injuring myself would be greatly appreciated.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Looks good!! Very similar to another prmc training programme I've seen on here. :) I would add in a rest day or two somewhere however.​

150Doc150

Reaction score
Looks good!! Very similar to another prmc training programme I've seen on here. :) I would add in a rest day or two somewhere however.​

Cheers - certainly was influenced heavily by yours!

What kind of stuff you think's useful for the gym?

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Cheeky little programme you have there mate, but as arny mentioned above at least one rest day is very important otherwise you're just not giving your body the chance to recover and you're begging for injury.

With regards to pull ups, if you can't even do one then the best way to train yourself is just constant repetition. Do them every single day, obviously regressed for now but slowly building them up.

I would suggest at the end of all of your gym sessions either doing 3 sets of 10 pull ups where you're giving yourself a little jump to get up there, or if you have a training partner do supported pull ups.

Buy yourself a door fitted pull up bar for at home and everytime you walk under it crack as many as you can out, with the little assistance jump at first if required. Eventually you will be able to do them unsupported and you can work on building up the reps. Cracking some reps on the lat pull down machine will help build that strength up too because it's the same movement.

All the best.