Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Plica syndrome (knee)

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Farmerdave, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I have been experiencing mild knee swelling and pain for a couple of months now, which a doctor diagnosed as plica syndrome. I have been to see a physio who gave me exercises to fix my landing mechanics and told me to mega dial it back on my running (run 1km, walk 500m, repeat), I initially rushed back into my normal regime too quickly and made it worse again, but have been following her advice strictly for the last week and have been using a bike and circuits to keep up my fitness.

I have already passed my medical and PJFT and am currently waiting to have my Skype AIB and hopefully get onto a POC after that in order to join the YO 2020 batch. The physio doesn't seem too worried about the injury taking a while to stop being swollen and there is only ever mild pain/weakness.

I am hoping that by the time lockdown is over and I am able to get onto a POC that the injury will have gone away, but was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this injury and have any training advice or guidance on whether this could become a significant issue for my ambition to join the 2020 batch?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Glad to read this didn’t cause you issues at the medical.

I was initially diagnosed whilst serving with plica syndrome as often it does not always occur in isolation, but concurrently with other knee conditions such as meniscal injuries, patellar tendonitis and Osgood-Schlatter’s Disease. It wasn’t until further examination via MRI it was discovered I had actually torn my ACL.

So be careful and cautious with it. I understand should your symptoms persist beyond 6 months then you may require arthroscopic surgery. Tread carefully and good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks mate, I've not had a scan but the physio had a good old poke around and couldn't find anything else wrong with my knee so fingers crossed there aren't other issues. Will be going back in for a check up once the clinic reopens.

Had heard about the arthroscopic surgery but I'm hoping that it doesn't come to that and resolves on its own so I can crack on with training!