PMU'D

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Richards101, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Richards101

Richards101 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi All,

My medical notes have been reviewed by a Doctor and I have received a letter informing me I have been PMU'd (Not fit for service). Absolutely gutting news to receive!. I'm going to appeal the decision as the reason was eczema which has now been treated and clear for several years.

If anyone else currently is this position or been through the process has got any info that could help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. Jmott96

Jmott96 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Same predicament as me mate I passed every stage was due to start in January but had extremely bad shin splints so couldn’t start and then had to do training dairy’s and various things and got a letter about a month ago stating I was PMU’d because of eczema and shin splints *text deleted* so *text deleted* appeal very soon as well haven’t had eczema in absolutely years so frustrating times but try keep positive.

3. Firedrake

Firedrake New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I had a patch of exzema on the back of my knee which was seen during my medical. I thought that was it, but claimed it only flared up due to stinging nettles (which was true).
    It went pretty much straight away after with over the counter creams.
    I was PMU'd however so I waited a year and reapplied for a medical as appeal wasn't appropriate.
    It was granted.
    I hadn't been to the doctor about it for over 3 years though as the steroids they give you just perpetuate it.
    I passed my medical a month ago so its not all over for you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

If you were knocked back at triage rather than the face to face medical, are 3+ years treatment-free and your medical notes reflect this, providing there's no visible eczema on your body, it is worth requesting a face to face review to demonstrate you are fully free from the condition.

Be aware however, if passed fit but it flares up in training or beyond, as a pre-existing condition, it could result in discharge if it affects your ability to do the job.

5. Richards101

Richards101 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Yeah it's been 4 years since I've had anything prescribed for it and it hasn't come back since then so i'm hopeful that the ruling can be over turned. Just a huge blow to be told no at this stage!

Going to keep up my training with the hope this can be over ruled as I guess this will take a few more months than expected.

Thanks for the info lads big help!

6. Ninja_Stoker

About 70%+ of medical appeals with the right level of evidence are succeeding. Good luck.

7. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Really? 70%? Am really surprised that it’s such a high percentage. Are the medics being over-cautious? Is there more money to be made off the back of these cases? (call me cynical) Has it always been like this? I feel so sorry for some of the lads that get knocked back seemingly for the flimsiest of reasons. But pleased, however, at the high rate of success...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

It'll be an overly cautious approach to things for the simple fact that we live in a society that can and does launch continuous and sometimes vexatious litigation for almost anything.

Better to be temperarily wrong about an applicant than let them slip through the net and potentially cost the MOD money, but more importantly exacerbate a potentially life altering, or even life ending condition.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Capita are directed by the RN to apply JSP950 (medical standards for entry) rigidly, without exception. They are not permitted to deviate or accept risk.

The Senior Medical Officer (Service Entries) - SMOSE can put forward a case to accept certain individuals "on risk" if adequate supporting evidence exists.

There is a six person service team, the service entry medical cell (SEMC), who are tasked to sift through the evidence and make a recommendation to SMOSE.

Previously, if a person was knocked back, that was it, but fortunately a bit of pragmatism is being applied.

Some people just see the letters PMU and think that's it but for those that read the letter properly and act upon it, there's very often a way forward, but only if the supporting evidence is of sufficient quality.

We still get people writing they wish to appeal as they don't think it's fair and unfortunately that's not going to crack it.

The other danger is other applicants will suggest they had exactly the same issue and successfully appealed. Truth is, the issues are seldom exactly the same and sometimes false hopes are raised, albeit with the best intentions.

The easiest way to avoid appealing? Submit adequate, relevant and documented supporting evidence together with the medical questionnaire. It saves a lot of wasted time and angst.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  10. westy

westy Well-Known Member

@Ninja_Stoker i spoke to my careers advisor yesterday and I explained I’m having major issues getting my GP to assist me with an appeal.

I was PMUd by Capita for being depressed for over 12 months but it’s factually untrue. I was serving in the Army reserve up until 4 months before I first saw my GP for help and I definitely wasn’t depressed before that!!

My careers advisor advised me to put all that in writing and fire it off for an appeal. Will I need to put in a copy of my Discharge papers to the medical team?

I have tried to get my GP to send me to a physciatrist for more help, I’ve been advised by a fully qualified mental health nurse that half the things written in my notes are wrong, but my GP just tried to direct me to talking therapy!!

Thanks in advance

Westy

11. Ninja_Stoker

If your AR medical records contain evidence which supports your appeal, then the relevant extracts should be forwarded but if they simply don't make reference to a specific medical issue, they are not admissable as evidence of not having a medical condition.

If you dispute what is written on your medical history regarding the dates, duration and treatment of a condition - bearing in mind it is usually the patient who goes to see the doctor with an issue they want addressing, just talk to the practice manager. The practice manager should be able to advise you on any complaint procedures, if it comes to that.

If you were treated for an ongoing issue a period in excess of 12 months, then unfortunately the duration of treatment is difficult to dispute. Similarly, very few people go back to the GP to declare a health condition resolved, so if there was no ongoing treatment for the pwriod declared, then there's possibly grounds to submit a complaint against the recorded detail.

The tip is to remain calm, polite and rational when discussing the issue with the practice manager as occupational health screening is not a priority for general practitioners.

12. westy

westy Well-Known Member

See there’s nothing at the AR unit that can prove I was/wasn’t depressed, mainly due to the fact I didn’t have an issue then.

I know the exact cause, the rough dates (December) and that was because my marriage broke down, I was thretting I wouldn’t see my children for Christmas!! I was also on an anti smoking pill, champix from December 11 (can get proof of that from my GP) and that’s well known for causing depression and it’s written in the patient information leaflet!!

The hardest part is proving that that was the trigger, combined with the medication I was taking!! It also puts the time line down to 9 months!

I’m just stuck and now don’t know where to go next

13. Ninja_Stoker

I think the best bet, as advised by your AFCO is to get the dates of diagnosis and actual treatment verified by your GP surgery, write a brief covering letter by way of explanation and submit an appeal to see where it leaves you.

The sticking point, so far as I can tell is the duration of the diagnosed condition during which you were undergoing treatment. Possibly, at the point you visited your GP, you may have reported you had been feeling this way for several months previous to your visit & possibly that's the bit that tips you over the 12 month period - worth checking.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1