Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC 11th - 13th of June

Discussion in 'Potential Officers Course Dates' started by Scar, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Scar

Scar New Member

Hey lads, I'm on this poc, anyone else on this one too?

2. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Hi mate, I'm on this one too. How's the prep going?

3. Scar

Scar New Member

I had mumps not long ago so just getting back into full training again! But hopefully over the next few weeks, my phys will come back up.

At the moment, just doing every bit of phys in boots just to get used to it, runs, circuits etc. Just have to say doing burpees in boots is nails compared to trainers.

How is your phys going and what are you doing for it?

4. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Doing everything in boots sounds brutal! Do you use weights, or just high-rep bodyweight stuff?

I've been doing a lot of running, about 2/3 of which in trainers. I've done a few long hill sprint sessions in boots with squat jumps and things at the top of each one. Most of my runs are very hilly 5-6 milers, and I try and get in a good few fartlek repetitions throughout them. I'll soon start drilling the really long, laborious runs soon. It seems that getting to the end of Day Two is all about cardiovascular/leg endurance, so I'm trying to smash out lots of squats, squat jumps, lunges and hill sprints in all my runs.

As for circuits, I've mainly been following a CrossFit/Get-Fit-To-Apply format. So lots of burpees, kettlebell work, weighted squats/cleans/presses, pull ups etc. I also try and mix in high intensity rowing repetitions. I tend to do my core in its own session once/twice a week. I've done some strength work on my legs/shoulders (reps of 5/3/1) to prepare for the logs and fireman's carries on bottom field.

I'm feeling fairly confident, but as I say, I really want to get my endurance wired.

What sort of distance work have you been doing? Do train twice in one day at all?

5. Scar

Scar New Member

Sounds as if your in better shape than me *text deleted*.

I have not done heavy weights for 3 months as I was 96kg so it was not working in my benefit. Lost some weight now and doing body weight circuits and chin ups sessions.

Ye I do the odd 5 - 8 miler when I have time but I think my weakness is sprints and bodyweight exercises so I am just getting that sorted. I regularly do 3 - 4 mile booted backpack runs after work which tends to have 3 nice hills in it (often my mode of transport home from work as there are no buses at night). Ye I agree about the leg conditioning, I think I might be getting my bike out soon and doing hill training on my bike.

I have time, I will try and train twice a day but at the moment, the max I will do a day is a run/circuit/hills sprints and a few sets of chin ups etc. I have exams and work 25 - 30 hours a week *text deleted* so just have to fit my training in wherever possible. My booted and backpack runs are more for convenience as I work in my boots and carry my work clothes and law work in it.

6. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

You're right about the weights - they're definitely not needed for POC. I'm not built like a marathon runner either, so my main priority is to ensure that I've got the legs to last the whole of the second day. The cardio/bodyweight stuff is where it's at.

As for boots, a lot of lads don't do any serious training in them and still pass. The main tests are conducted in boots though, so I think it must be advantageous to train hard in them beforehand.

It sounds like you've got a pretty busy schedule to fit your training into!

7. Scar

Scar New Member

I just think there is a big difference in doing circuits and running in boots compared to trainers, it is not needed to train in them as you say. However my legs just ache that much more when I am wearing boots doing exercises and sprints.

In my poc letter, it said fireman's carries for 100m should be under 29sec and for 200m, should be under 60 secs, is this right? As I have read about lads coming in slower than this and still passed.

8. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

I've not heard of anyone failing on the fireman's carries, so I assume there's some leeway. I'm not sure though. There was definitely one guy that passed, despite not completing the run back. Then again, some guys complete it and still fail. It seems that they make an assessment of each guy's all-round performance.

Have you practised the carries at all?

9. Scar

Scar New Member

No I have not really practised carries at all. Have you?

I only really train by myself so don't really have an option, I was thinking for just doing a lot of steep hill sprints and some squats in the gym.

10. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

I haven't practised the carries either. Having strong legs should be the key to it I'd have thought.

Hill sprints are great phys, and everyone who's done POC/PRMC says there's a bunch of them on Endurance Course. A current YO gave me the tip of doing loads of leg work during hill sprint/interval sessions. So do a hill sprint, then 15 squats, 15 lunges, 15 tuck jumps or whatever. Apparantly this replicates the sort of thing they have you doing of the second day. I've noticed good improvements in endurance from this, especially in my booted runs.

11. jon_bean

jon_bean New Member

Hi there chaps,

I'm also on this POC so we'll be meeting soon I guess! Hope the training has been going well for all. What sort of time on Sunday do you hope to arrive at Lympstone? Around 7 seems to be the general rule....

12. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Hi Jon,

I'm flying from Edinburgh at 12.30 or thereabouts, so I'm expecting to arrive at CTC around 3-4pm. It'll probably be a long wait, but apparently there's another lad who's also on my flight.

Are you coming from far?

How are you boys feeling about the course? What sort of phys are you doing this week?

I did my last training session on Saturday, and am now just resting and doing light rowing/running sessions until Monday.

13. tcchristie1

tcchristie1 New Member

Alright guys,
    I'm on the POC too. Sounds as though you have all been working hard. I have been doing similar stuff. Only done a few runs in boots as my Careers Officer said to not do too much in time running up to the tests. I haven't practiced any of the firemans carries- cant get anyone to volunteer to let me run with them!
    I'm looking forward to it, but getting a bit nervous as well.

Jungle-man, I'm the other lad who's on the flight from Edinburgh with you. I suppose I will see you at the airport.

14. Gasmeter

Gasmeter New Member

I'll be there too lads. Sounds like you've got your phys squared away.

I passed a POC this time last year so if you have any last minute questions that can't wait until Sunday, fire away.

15. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

tcchristie1, it's good to hear from you. I'm sure we'll suss out who one another is at the airport. I'm fairly nervous as well; just want to get cracking with it now.

Gasmeter, what's the deal when you arrive at CTC? Do you just chill out in your room, or in the mess?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what sort of running work have you been doing for this?

Cheers.

16. Gasmeter

Gasmeter New Member

Hi jungle-man,

When you get to CTC you are free to do what you want. It is probably better to chill out in the mess so that you get to know the other candidates, get the banter going, help yourself to free tea & coffee and papers.

My physical preparation, in terms of running at least, has been disrupted somewhat. I've had ankle injuries since Feb so haven't been able to get serious miles in. What I have done is all on hilly routes with plenty hill sprints. I have only run in boots once; as long as your boots are well broken-in there is no need to do too much in them. Each to their own.

In answer to a previous query about the fireman's carry, the target times of 60 and 29s are for full marks. However, to 'pass' this you only need to do it in 90 and 45s. As such it isn't a pass/fail criteria since your overall total is what determines whether you pass/fail POC.

Hope this helps.

17. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Gasmeter, thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

18. jon_bean

jon_bean New Member

Feels pretty close now!

Getting that slight nervousness too, I'll be glad when its over! On the phys side of things I put in a couple of steady runs and an intervals session this week, and repeated the RMFA tests every night in the gym pretty much.

I look forward to meeting you all tomorrow.

All the best and good flight Edinburgh lads

19. JR9

JR9 New Member

How did you lads get on down at POC?

20. tcchristie1

tcchristie1 New Member

It was tough. I think about 7 of 17 passed. Quite a few guys who didn't pass got recommended to come back in 3 months to try again though. No one fell asleep in the discussion exercises which is a good thing I suppose