Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC 12/05/14

Discussion in 'Potential Officers Course Dates' started by Ken, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Ken

Ken New Member

Just been given this date. Anyone else been given the same? Buzzing!

2. Langa please?

Langa please? Well-Known Member

I hope to be on this date, just got one more stage to pass first though! Any idea how subscribed this POC is?

3. Ken

Ken New Member

Best of luck! Not entirely sure. The nice lady I badgered yesterday mentioned there's another date a week or so after. She works from a list that I'm assuming is organised based on completion of SIFT and the various other stages. The advice I've been given is that if you want priority of place in the 2014 YO Batch all stages before POC and AIB must be completed by March 31st.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Langa please?

Luckily I have my next hurdle just before then! My application has gone ridiculously fast considering I only handed the forms in 5 weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ken

Ken New Member

5 weeks ago?! Feeling ready?

6. Langa please?

Getting there, I couldn't go at it next week I don't think but with another 2 months prep I should be thereabouts! Personally, I think if you're fit enough to pass PJFT then you're probably fit enough to pass POC, it's just about putting in that grind when the going gets tough. Although I've never done one so could be completely wrong!

How about yourself?

7. Ken

Ken New Member

Controversial! POC tests so many different forms of fitness. I'm gradually getting there but everything takes time. Trying to peak at the appropriate time is tricky! We now have 8 weeks to formulate a fitness programme to do so, pain' only temporary.

8. Langa please?

Of course, the RMFA tests can't be taken lightly and are completely different from the PJFT. I just feel that POC is a case of separating those who have the 'state of mind' from those who don't. I'm sure there has been plenty of people who pass POC/PRMC who aren't as fit as others who fail.

9. MattArnold

MattArnold New Member

Being fit enough for the PJFT in no way correlates to being fit enough for POC.

My overriding advice (having both failed and passed POC) is to just get the miles in. Run run run run and run. And faster. Find 4/5 routes of varying mileage and just keep doing them. Hills are a massive bonus and prepare you big time for the hill drags/sprints that knock a fair few people out at POC.

Don't overcomplicate your training like many people on this forum seem to do, just get the miles in, do the relevant RMFA training and let your mind do the rest. To rely on mental strength and not put enough training in is a road to disaster...

Matt

10. Langa please?

Fair enough, you've got the experience there. I was in no way going to slack off from training of course not, I love training and having been unable to do it for a few days I feel lost. I was merely saying I would think mental strength counts for a lot.

11. Ken

Ken New Member

Completely agree with you! What's your stats looking like?

12. Ken

Ken New Member

What were your actually RMFA results in the day? Sorry to be intrusive.

• Seen Seen x 1
  13. Langa please?

Currently looking at 40-45 pressups, 65 sit ups and 9-10 pull ups.

Stagnated on the pull ups so will be ordering a weight belt soon, also not happy with my press up count but I'm seeing reasonable gains recently so hoping to improve that. Sit ups I'm fairly happy with at the moment, should progress nicely up until POC. How are yours looking? Have you done a bleep test yet? That's something I need to have a crack at fairly soon.

14. Ken

Ken New Member

62 press ups, 80 sit ups, 14 chin ups.

You're at a good level, those stats will increase in the build up I'm sure. Haven't actually done the bleep test since I was 16! Though my PB for a 5 mile run is 32:58. My runs vary from 3 - 8 miles; trying to run under 6:45 per mile.

15. Langa please?

Nice stats mate! Also that's a great time for a 5 miler, what's the route like?

16. MattArnold

MattArnold New Member

No worries - happy to answer any questions you have.

Can't remember fully to be honest - I did write them down but not at home right now - something like 60 press ups, 65 sit ups and 11 pull ups? To be honest as long as you pass the RMFA then I wouldn't worry too much about it. A chap on my course did a ridiculous amount of each element on RMFA (Something like 90 press ups, 115 sit ups and 16 pull ups!) but failed overall as his endurance let him down on the Tuesday.

Don't get me wrong - mental strength counts for a huge amount. But you can make life a lot easier for yourself by putting the miles in!

I think on POC I ran the return of the 1.5 mile in 8:15 which was a record for me as I was hitting 8:30ish in practise so the adrenaline and will to beat the rest obviously pushes you on POC. As Ken has said, under 6:45 per mile is a good aim for runs under 5 miles, anything under 7 for over that is good. I use the runkeeper app on my phone to keep track of each run and find that good for motivation.

All I am trying to stress is to not get too bogged down with the RMFA. Simply go out there, put the miles in whilst trying to get faster and POC is nothing to stress at. I failed on the endurance course on my first POC and was hanging out by lunch time on the tuesday, whereas this time the running I had done paid off and it didn't really pose any problems! The hardest bit was the uphill drag, and even with tons of training that is really where your mental strength comes in.

As I said i'm happy to answer any questions on POC and AIB,

Cheers

Matt

17. Langa please?

Thanks for that insight Matt! How did your AIB go?

18. MattArnold

MattArnold New Member

No worries pal,

AIB didn't go so well for me, it was a week after POC and I think I was probably still on a high from that. Didn't fail by much but the Lt Col said to work on a few things and come back in 9 months.

Just waiting a date through for a retake and hoping it will be end of April time... Luckily I don't have to retake POC!

19. Langa please?

Ah sorry to hear that mate, was it areas you'd be confident of improving with putting extra work in? It's good that you've been invited back, I've heard a fair few tend not to be!

Is it a case of your POC has to be within a year of taking your AIB rather than the entry to batch?

20. MattArnold

MattArnold New Member

Yes and no really. I think a lot of it depends on how it goes on the day - the PLT's are quite daunting the first time round but I am pretty confident that having done it before I should be able to do a lot better and know what they are looking for etc. The planex is horrible but again I didn't do much practise on speed/distance/time and example questions which I will do this time. The Lt Col at the end said he was very keen for me to come back once I had worked on the areas I was weakest on so just got to give it everything and hope for the best!

I now have a plan B and a plan C if the RM doesn't work out, whereas last year it was all that I wanted to do so I think I also put a lot of pressure on myself. It's a difficult balance with being 100% commited to it (which obviously you have to be!) and not putting all your eggs in one basket, as they say. I now think that if I pass, great, if not then it isn't the end of the world and hopefully that will help take the pressure off a bit next time!

AIB has to be taken within a year of passing POC. I.e I passed POC June 18th last year so provided I do AIB before that then I don't have to retake.

Where are you at in the process?