POC 18th January

Reacher

Reaction score
I just got my letter through the door today letting me know I`ve been booked on this course. I can't wait, should be a great couple of days!

How is your training coming along?

goose

Reaction score
Sweet.

Training's going steadily. Am getting plenty of miles in, not the best times in the world, but it will come. Plenty of sprinting too. Might see how the bleep test is coming on in a bit.

How about you?

Reacher

Reaction score
I'm away to up my training quite a bit now I've got the date to aim for. Quite confident about my running, although the bleep test is something I haven't done in a long time. My press-ups and pull-ups need a bit of work and my swimming is gradually improving.

What's your training programme like?

goose

Reaction score
Well, most of my training involves sprint training, which I do with a few guys about twice a week, am trying to get my VO2 max up. And the other half involves longer style runs, but nothing too superman like. Trying mostly to improve 6 mile times.

Obviously trying to keep the pressups and pull-ups ticking over, never really been that worried about situps, but I will probably start them soonish.

How about yours?

Reacher

Reaction score
Similarly I'm working on distances around 6-8 miles most weekday mornings before I go to uni, then I usually either either go to my boxing club at night and/or do some hill sprints, bodyweight circuits, or 1 mile best times. On the mornings I don't run I go swimming.

It's costing a small fortune to keep me fed! haha

goose

Reaction score
I'd forgotten about swimming, does it help you? Obviously it helps rest your joints, is it helping your running though?

Sounds like you've got your routine sorted, what kind of times are you making?

Reacher

Reaction score
On my longer runs I try to keep between 6-7 minute mile pace, depends on the route I take as its hilly where I live. 1 mile sprints is a new exercise for me so I'm working on that, but around 5 - 5:30.

As far as swimming goes, yeah it definitely helps. Its great for boosting cardio but mostly for increasing VO2 max and its a great for improving recovery time. I'd definitely recommend it.

Reacher

Reaction score
I was just wondering, have you had any information on your pre POC briefing yet? I've not heard anything regarding dates and it all seems a bit last minute.

Thanks

Matt4017

Reaction score
Erm, I was on this POC until I switched to 1st Feb and I had my pre-POC briefing on 15th Dec........

goose

Reaction score
Well I had the brief with the AFCO a while back. I'm waiting on a final confirmation with rail warrant etc.

I'm probably going to call them next week and double check. If you have any questions I can answer, being a second timer, let me know.

How's the training going?

Reacher

Reaction score
I'm going to phone them tomorrow and hopefully someone will be there.

Just a few quick questions: What is your presentation going to be like? I've read a few different approaches on here; and what are the main topics you are going to be studying for the essay?

Its going OK, a bit disturbed with the snow though, not been able to get as many miles under my belt as I would have liked. Also suffering with man flu just now after doing the new years day dook in the 2 degree Celsius River Tay, twice.

goose

Reaction score
Well I find the presentation tricky. They don't really like to much detail about yourself, they want to be entertained by hearing about something you've done. Mine will centre around various sailing trips I've done and the three peaks challenge, but it could be about anything that has you involved in the slightest. One guy last time took a poll as to which girlfriend he should dump. Which went down well.

As for the essay, the topics will be something any reasonably informed person can discuss, so I won't really be preparing for is as such. The titles last time were-

Was the war in Iraq justifiable, regardless of WMD? Can western governments ever win a war on terrorism? Given the history of conflict in Afghanistan, is there a forseeable end to the UK and NATOs current operational commitment? Given the reliability of DNA evidence, should there be a national DNA database with samples from all new-born children?

Well let me know what they say, as I will be phoning them soon.

Reacher

Reaction score
Sounds interesting for the presentation, I've got a good anecdote from a night out in Tijuana Mexico, so i might go for that.

I got in touch with them today and they booked me in for a briefing on Thursday morning. My ACLO only got the e-mail this morning letting them know I was booked for it.

Getting excited now, went for my first long run for a while in the snow tonight, managed 11.3 miles in 1:18. I'm pretty chuffed with that but I did have to push myself hard on that snow and ice (like a constant treadmill). But I think my times are going to improve drastically over the next week after the christmas/birthday/new year period.

Matt4017

Reaction score
Just to chime in, have you guys done much running in boots and combats?

Reacher

Reaction score
No bother, I've done a bit. I did 1 mile beach sprints in my Gucci boots, a 2 mile snow run in the Guccis, and football pitch circuit sprints in my issue boots. I'm going to put a few more in over the next week just to strengthen my legs though. I would say it is advisable but be very careful not to do too much too soon.

goose

Reaction score
Glad to hear they've got it all in order for you. Sounds like you're pushing it appropriately hard. I did a big session last night and planing another tomorrow. Have strung together BMF, sprint session with fireman's carries followed by a 7mile all in one go. No boots though, might do some of that later this week. It is cold out there! Last night I felt my lungs re-expand upon hitting the warm air back inside, very painful. Lets cross our fingers for a warm spell, huh?

I followed suit with the gucci boots, although some would say girly boots, they are amazing!

To answer your question, Matt, I haven't done too much running in boots this time, primarily because last time I was down there the colour sergeant told me that it wasn't too necessary once you're used to it, so my boots being fully broken into now, I've cut back on it, I'd be doing a lot otherwise.

Matt4017

Reaction score
I'm doing a fair bit bit of running in my boots at the min just to get my legs used to it. Was amazed how much more difficult it was first time I went out in them.

goose

Reaction score
Finally got my rail warrant. Am starting to feel psyched.

So are you feeling ready Reacher?

Reacher

Reaction score
To be honest not really feeling as ready as I'd like to be. My press-ups could be a lot better, but I always knew that would be the case. I've also not ran in a week due to a calf injury but it will be better by Monday. Just got to crack on.
Apart from that though I think I'm psychologically ready to nail it, which from as far as I can tell is the biggest part of the battle.

Well that's my moans and groans haha!! What about yourself? I'll be arriving Sunday evening, are you just coming in the morning?