Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC 21st May

Discussion in 'Potential Officers Course Dates' started by DhobiWanKenobi, Jan 16, 2012.

1. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

Just got this date. It's so far away because I was given a 12 month wait from my last course.

Anyone else with this date yet?

2. Eyebrows

Eyebrows Member

Good Luck with it. How long did it take you to get your original date after your SIFT interview and how far into the future was it?
    Cheers.

3. DhobiWanKenobi

Cheers mate.

Last year I think I waited about 2 weeks to get my POC date, and it was about 12 weeks beforehand.

4. Eyebrows

Eyebrows Member

Cheers mate

5. hudson96

hudson96 New Member

how often POC's run? I'm awaiting my date at the minute and want one after sort of mid april

6. DhobiWanKenobi

I think it's every fortnight until April/May time, then every week for a while after that.

7. Utopia

Utopia Member

Would it be possible for someone to confirm this? I just spoke with my (new) AFCO and have been told that I may be too late for getting a POC and AIB in before the September intake. I thought that was quite odd, and also contrary to what I've been told previously.

Dare I say it...Ninja? :cheesy:

8. hudson96

hudson96 New Member

Nice one, am I right in thinking that I cant do POC untill I'm 16 (late march)? Is anyone else expecting a POC date around April/May?

Thanks

9. DhobiWanKenobi

Just a bump, has anyone else on this forum been given this date yet? I would think POC's around this time are starting to fill up.

10. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

Hey guys, new to this forum but just got my date through today and I'll be on POC 21-23 May 2012.

11. DhobiWanKenobi

Awesome, how's the prep going?

Welcome to the forum.

12. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

Yeah not too bad been having IT band problems recently but think I'm back on form now so just building my cardio up. Not worried about any of the strength related stuff, just cardio that can let me down. How about you?

13. DhobiWanKenobi

Yeah you're stats are very good so strength shouldn't be a problem.

My cardio also needs a little more refinemement, but other than that I feel ready. Would like to improve my bleep test score, bring my 10K time down a little more and do a couple of days of solid phys to replicate the intensity.

I did POC last year so if you have any questions just fire away.

14. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

I don't feel entirely ready but after another few weeks of intense cardio I reckon I'll feel ready. What your bleep score like? I've just done my first one for a while, just to see if I could pass so stopped at 11.2 but still had a fair bit left in the tank, reckon 12.5 to 13 but not sure.

What was the hardest part last year? To me it seems like the final run back would be the worst part as you'll just be hanging out before starting.

15. DhobiWanKenobi

I think I got to 13.4 on my POC last year, at the moment I'm in the early 12s so would like to get back to level 13.

Yeah the run back is horrible. The pace isn't even that fast but it feels like 1 min/miles since you're already exhausted.

The endurance course is very difficult considering there aren't really any flat parts, it's nearly all steep up and downhill, but I really felt like I was running on empty when running the 1 mile hare and hounds race afterwards.

I think it's best to think of the run back as a recovery run. If you get it into your head beforehand that it's going to be the hardest part then it will be.

16. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

I'll start thinking of it like that then, that's one of the other things I'm dreading the hard and hounds, just hope I can keep going!
    Yeah I think I would be happy with a 13 on the bleep test, however managed to do something to my knee which has put me off cardio for another week and really need to be training hard now so I'm starting to worry.
    How's everything else other than the cardio, like essay, discussion interview etc? And if you don't mind me asking what let you down last year?

17. DhobiWanKenobi

Yeah doing a mile best effort after the endurance course isn't the most fun thing in the world!

You won't lose any fitness in a week so don't worry too much. I had some aching around me knee a couple of weeks ago but it seems to be fine again after reducing the mileage and applying deep heat.

I'm confident about the essay, RM/RN knowledge still needs some work but it's never hard to relearn anything. Still need to sort out my 2 min presentation too. The interview last year at POC wasn't anywhere near as difficult as the SIFT interview. If I remember rightly we were asked the number of ways in which we could attack the enemy after a beach landing; so mortar, shelling from ships, moving troops forward in vikings, etc.

Last year I had a couple of problems with my calves leading up to the POC, which meant I wasn't getting quite as much mileage done as I would have liked. The hare and hounds finished me off and at the start of the run back I was running on empty. So close yet so far!

18. jraschen

jraschen New Member

Hey guys, just got this date - I've been reading a few training programmes of people who have passed, and quite a few recommend one long run (12-14 miles) per week to really boost the cardio..just wondering if anyone has been doing the same?

p.s anyone in the Birmingham area over the next few weeks?

19. DhobiWanKenobi

Hi mate, welcome!

I tend to do one long run per week, which at the moment is around 6-8 miles, but hopefully increasing a little more soon. It's good to get mix the cardio up as much as possible; hill work, short sprints, intervals, long runs.

How's the training going? And are you coming through London on your way to Exeter?

20. jraschen

jraschen New Member

You're right, I would like to start doing some more interval sessions, any recommendations? The trainings going pretty well, although I've been dealing with injuries for a couple of months (shin splints etc) but everything is looking ok now :). How about yourself? Got the boots on yet? Nope afraid not through London, going straight down from Reading.

I've heard a few murmurs of a planning exercise post-essay by the way - is this true?