Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC 21st May

Discussion in 'Potential Officers Course Dates' started by DhobiWanKenobi, Jan 16, 2012.

1. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

For intervals, I like to run a set distance (usually 4-6 miles) and at the start of every mile, run as fast as you can for 1 minute. The key is not just how fast you sprint in that minute, but how well you can keep pace when running at normal speed.

All good here thanks, I'm trying to do at least one run per week in boots, I don't think any more is necessary. Have you been doing many miles in boots?

I have a friend who passed POC recently and they did a planning exercise, so I guess it's a permanent addition now, as well as good practice for AIB.

2. jraschen

jraschen New Member

Good stuff, thanks for confirming - probably would have been caught out on that! Started the booted running last week, just one session of about 6 miles, any more and I think I would be asking for an injury.

3. DhobiWanKenobi

Yeah I would say that's plenty, it's just a case of getting used to the weight. I know of candidates that have passed POC having never worn boots.

4. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

More bad news for me, going to be off running until at least Monday, think my problem is runners knee from cycling. Booked next week off work to get more chance to rest now and going to swim all week hopefully to help my fitness, if I cant run soon might have to see if I can postpone POC?
    Think I may have to find a physio too.

5. DhobiWanKenobi

Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully the extra few days off will help. Remember, you won't lose any fitness in a week or two. In fact, some people improve after extended rest. The key is to ensure that you only start running again when the knee is behaving.

6. DhobiWanKenobi

Any improvement with the knee?

7. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

It's getting better but can still feel it while running, going to try and call the poc office today and see if I can postpone the poc. Looking into my problem it's normally 4-6 weeks for recovery and I've had it now for 3 weeks. But at this rate I don't feel I'll be fit enough by the 21st so there is no point risking it and being postponed for a year. Just been a bit stressed about it over the last week so haven't posted an update.
    I'll let you know what's happening though.

8. DhobiWanKenobi

Fair enough mate, it's probably the right call to postpone it. A few weeks extra wait is far better than failing it and having to wait at least 3 months.

9. DhobiWanKenobi

Keeping the thread alive! 3 weeks today we'll be having the time of our lives :cry:

10. Utopia

Utopia Member

Good luck to all! Remember, you can improve a lot in three (two) weeks if you put your mind to it!

11. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

Hey guys just thought I'd let you know that I've now got my POC on the 18th June. Shame I've had to postpone it, but you'll have to let me know how you guys do!
    Good Luck!

12. DhobiWanKenobi

Good to hear you've got a new date, all the best! I'll probably post an up to date diary after ours so you can scare yourself a bit more.

13. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

Yeah that sounds like a plan!

Just thought I'd update you on my injury, after trawling the internet for weeks and not being able to come to a set cause to my problem other than overuse I decided to try a load of exercises to cover two causes, did them yesterday and this morning and it's made a massive improvement! Should be able to run now without problems!

Also started running today in vibram five fingers (barefoot shoes), can only run short distances while my feet adjust but they're awesome! Would highly recommend them!

To continue this essay my brother hasnt been able to run for about 10 months due to shin splints with it being a possible compartment syndrome, but he has switched to more of a forefoot strike instead of heel strike after copying my style in my vibrams and his problems seem to have disappeared!

So barefoot running may be the future!

14. Utopia

Utopia Member

Unless you offer me a decent barefoot alternative (Inov8) then you've got a real fight on your hands to remove my vibrams. :laugh:

I'm ashamed to say I even got a posh pair of the leather ones and wear them to work (office)! Perhaps not my finest moment! :unsure:

However, I'm still debating vibrams vs. boots for the Tough Mudder next weekend....

15. VTomasi

VTomasi Member

Boots for TM? Blah, it'll be hard enough as it is. I'll be sticking to my trails shoes!

16. Utopia

Utopia Member

I know.. I did 8 x 8minute miles yesterday in the boots and really thought long and hard about an extra 4 miles and obstacles. I just can't help but feel they will pay me back in the thick mud!

17. DhobiWanKenobi

Last call for anyone with this date!

Getting a bit close now. I'm currently having a week of very light exercise, lots of rest and eating everything in sight.

Not really nervous yet, just want to get down there and crack it, it's been a year in the making!

Anyway, back to revision I go...

18. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

Just want to wish you guys good luck and hope it all goes well! Shame I can't be on this one. Let us know how it goes!

19. DhobiWanKenobi

Bad news from me lads, failed to finish the run back from endurance course AGAIN. Don't get me wrong, I didn't give up, but couldn't keep up the pace and when I was too far behind the Captain told me to get in the wagon.

Since POC is more points-based now I was still optimistic on passing, especially considering I was with the PTI for most of the endurance course and all other areas of the course were an improvement for me, but it wasn't to be.

Got a 3 month recall but will give everything a proper think over a weeks rest. Not sure whether I'm giving it a third crack or attempting PRMC.

Anyways, time to rest and eat. The thought of baby carrying someone up a hill mid-endurance course makes me feel sick. But then again, the thought of the Colour Sergeants dog sitting on my bag whilst leopard crawling through the clay still cracks me up!

For those interested, 5 passed, 4 of which finished the run back. 1 was a RMR Commando, 1 was RMR phase 1, one had done SASR selection and 2 had no military experience.

20. Durks91

Durks91 New Member

Shame to hear it mate.
    I know what you mean about the wait as its another year, even though it's my first attempt I'll be going for a prmc if I don't manage it, cant be sat around in civvie street for another year!
    Let us know what you decide and I'll let you know how mine goes.