Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC 21st May

Discussion in 'Potential Officers Course Dates' started by DhobiWanKenobi, Jan 16, 2012.

1. austin333

austin333 New Member

I'm sorry to hear that mate. Appreciate you probably don't want to talk about it too much but what were the essay questions and what type of questions did you get asked in the interview? Thanks.

2. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm prepared to wait another year yet. All the best for your POC! Start practicing carrying your heaviest friends uphill.

3. DhobiWanKenobi

Good questions.

Essay topics were whether celebrities deserved their privacy or not, whether we should renew Trident, what lessons were learned from the conflicts in Afghanistan and a couple more I can't remember. As long as you have a basic understanding of recent significant events in the news it shouldn't be a problem.

In terms of the interview, I was asked about my family life, why I would make a good officer, the last 3 books I have read, the role of a troop commander, and what sets the Marines apart from other services. Then I had to talk about current deployments and world activities on a map and name some weapons from images. Simple stuff really!

4. austin333

austin333 New Member

Appreciate that, thank you.

5. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Commiserations, Pock. It sounds like you gave it your all though.

How many guys were on the course? Did the other guys mostly fail on the Endurance Course too?

Cheers.

6. DhobiWanKenobi

I think there were 16. One guy failed RMFA, one wrapped after the bottom field warm up, one wrapped towards the end of bottom field, then the rest were on the endurance course.

Yeah I couldn't have given any more, I just couldn't increase my pace no matter how hard I tried. At one point I asked the Captain to let me finish but he was having none of it. Best of luck for your POCs lads.

7. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Cheers, mate. Very well done for showing the right mindset at any rate.

I'm getting seriously apprehensive about mine now after hearing that less than 1/3 of guys passed, 3 of whom having hardcore military experience! I think I'm going to step up my booted distance runs over the next few days!

Anyway, best of luck with your decision.

8. DhobiWanKenobi

Thanks mate. For me now it's just a choice between going for a PRMC or Sanhurst, but once you've been bitten by the green beret bug it's hard to get out of your system! Plus I need to give my leadership potential some serious thought.

You'll be fine mate, just grit your teeth and keep going. The training team are professionals at making you want to die, so it is your sole aim to just not stop no matter how hard it gets. To be honest mate, the only time I felt like wrapping was during the log exercises on bottom field (never on the endurance course), it's just a case of getting through it.

Any other questions, fire away.

9. Dezzie

Dezzie New Member

That's bad luck Pock 3 month recall so must have been close. Feel very nervous about next week now, could you elaborate more into success being more points based? My ACLO mentioned you didn't need to finish the run back to pass when he went to observe which surprised me. A diary would be great but totally understand if you don't feel like it. In my own case I have decided to have one whole hearted attempt at YO entry and the go down the OR route if unsuccessful.

Thanks for coming on and letting us know Pock.

10. VTomasi

VTomasi Member

Commiserations Pock, I know what it feels like and it's heartbreaking.

Dezzie - your ACLO was incorrect. The run back is one of the pass/fail criteria.

A minimum of 11 on the bleep test and completing the run back on the EC are absolute pass/fail. I believe 180 points are required on the RMFA also. Failure to complete a pull up will lead to being sent home immediately.

The rest is a matter of getting through it and showing determination.

11. Dezzie

Dezzie New Member

"For those interested, 5 passed, 4 of which finished the run back. 1 was a RMR Commando, 1 was RMR phase 1, one had done SASR selection and 2 had no military experience."

In Pocks experience this wasn't the case, hence the confusion, it appears things may have changed recently.

12. VTomasi

VTomasi Member

The DS of course may pass someone if they deem it appropriate, but this is at their discretion and very rare.

It is highly unlikely that they would have slackened the standards required to pass. They only ever make it harder, not easier.

13. DhobiWanKenobi

Thanks V, indeed it is heartbreaking but it's certainly not a closed door, just potentially a different one.

The run back is no longer criteria. One lad on mine pulled out just after me but passed because he had strong leadership potential. It was a good decision in my opinion.

That was why I felt optimistic, because I had done well everywhere else I thought I may have had a chance.