Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC 22nd-24th April

Discussion in 'Potential Officers Course Dates' started by byrney, Mar 6, 2013.

1. byrney

byrney Member

Just got my date through this week. Anyone else on this one?

2. Eyebrows

Eyebrows Member

Out of interest, when did you pass your sift/send off for a POC date?

3. omcquail1

omcquail1 New Member

I got my date through today, got given 6-8 May though. I passed my SIFT 18th Jan and had all my forms sent off by the middle of Feb (there was a lot of faffing with lost post ect).

4. byrney

byrney Member

I passed my SIFT on February 13th. In addition I've also been booked onto an RMAD next week, and there's been mention of an AIB 'practice' day too.

5. jg332

jg332 New Member

Did you lads get any choice in your dates?

I passed sift Feb 18th, and am just waiting for them to check referees etc. I would prefer a date after the start of May to give max preperation time, but do they just give you one date and you cannot contest?
    I suppose if one was to feel ill-prepared, having a word with the ACLO could probably get you a preferable date.

Also another quick Q: RMAD = RM Acquaint Day? I would be interested in doing one of these. I assume its the same thing as PO visit.

Good luck to you

6. omcquail1

omcquail1 New Member

I just got given the one date, but they do give the option to contact them for an alternative if you can't make the date you're given. I'm guessing you'll be given one in May though mate judging by the fact I've already been given my date and its for May.

7. byrney

byrney Member

Same here. I got given one date and told to contact the ACLO if I were unable to make it.

Also another quick Q: RMAD = RM Acquaint Day? I would be interested in doing one of these. I assume its the same thing as PO visit.

Yep, RMAD = RM Acquaint Day. I ask about PO visits and apparently they're not currently running, though they will be again soon if you're lucky enough to get a place on one. The RMAD is pretty much a day of phys with some lectures thrown in at a local RN establishment; I'm going through the Manchester office and will be attending the RMAD in Liverpool.

8. streetspirit91

streetspirit91 New Member

I'm on this date byrney, how you feeling about it? Training going well?

9. Jsf

Jsf New Member

Still waiting for my POC date myself, passed SIFT on 17/01/2013.

10. jg332

jg332 New Member

Also waiting for my POC date. I've been informed my pack has been sent off, and I passed SIFT on 18/02. Hoping for a May date.

How is the training going for you lads?

11. byrney

byrney Member

I'd say training is going relatively well. Barring any injuries, I think I'll be in a good position physically by POC.

My weaknesses currently are my sprint speed and sit-ups, but both can and will be improved! Fortunately I think my strength lies in endurance and the ability to just carry on - but then again I haven't been on POC yet!

How about you guys?

12. streetspirit91

First time for me as well, nerves and excitement are both playing big parts in how I'm feeling about it, I'm feeling confident that the training I'm doing should benefit me for the endurance course and bottom field.

Just push ups that are annoying me at the moment, however I have a plan for the next 5/6 weeks leading up to POC.

How are you feeling about the academic side? Essays, lecture, etc.

13. byrney

byrney Member

As long as I can do a few likely essay brainstorms and maybe a couple of practices I fell fine with the essay. Luckily, I think writing/arguing has always been one of my strengths, even if I don't really know what I'm talking about! I don't think I need much specific revision on this as I'm taking in current affairs/defence news every day from multiple outlets.

For the presentation, though I still need to decide what I want to present on I think I've had enough experience presenting to do it successfully...with preparation obviously!

Where are you travelling from, what's your background etc?

14. jg332

jg332 New Member

I am training for the Paris marathon in a months time. Or rather, I am training for POC and the marathon is kind of a training aid.

Weaknesses for me are pull ups and push ups, sit ups are fine and I think endurance will be ok. Looking forward to giving it a bash.. have started swimming to increase hypoxic/O2 uptake for bleep test/sprints etc. I think most benefit will be gained from getting out on the hill and just 'extra phys' for hours. Although working full time is not condusive to this..

Did you both say your POCs are in may? or one of you is earlier than this?

Background: Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, currently working as an engineering intern.
    Involved in scouting, mainly to build up experience for leadership/public speaking/organisation etc.
    Swimming/running/cycling, crap at push/pull ups! Need to build on these massively.

I think keeping abreast of as many defense and news related current afairs will be sufficient for the essay task. With regard to the lecturette, I think it is supposed to be on you and your life. They are not looking for detail, they are looking for structure.

15. jg332

jg332 New Member

Also I live down in Fareham near portsmouth.

what about yourselves, backgrounds/locations?

16. streetspirit91

I live in Warwickshire so I'll be getting the train down to Lympstone.

Okay a bit about me finished A Levels and went straight into work, initially part time at Tescos to tie me over for a few months, 2 years down the line from that I became a Night Manager, not a bad achievement before I was 21, obviously learning a hell of a lot about management and leadership.
    I'm currently working part time as well as being a Civilian Instructor at Sea Cadets, which takes up a couple of days of my week.

Got my POC 22nd-24th of April.