POC 26th May?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Wow, that must be one of the very last available for a 2008 September entry assuming there's an AIB before the end of June.

Good luck to all the 'last-minute-merchants', there's no room for error!

LAS920

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, that must be one of the very last available for a 2008 September entry assuming there's an AIB before the end of June.

Good luck to all the 'last-minute-merchants', there's no room for error!
Are they stricter on later POC's?

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck fellas if you're on it, that's certainly getting close =)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Are they stricter on later POC's?
No, the same physical criteria applies, however when it comes to assessing the individual's organisational skills, possibly at AIB, it may well become evident that forward planning may well be a weakness.

Similarly they are looking at reliability - missed appointments & deadlines do not always bode particularly well, for instance.

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
No, the same physical criteria applies, however when it comes to assessing the individual's organisational skills, possibly at AIB, it may well become evident that forward planning may well be a weakness.

Similarly they are looking at reliability - missed appointments & deadlines do not always bode particularly well, for instance.
Well I was told there was one around 2nd June and one around the 10th, however both were full.

I hope I don't get marked down for being late to attend, time will tell I suppose. Personally, I didn't actually miss any appointments, my AFCO actually misplaced my application, however I wouldn't bring that up.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Well I was told there was one around 2nd June and one around the 10th, however both were full.

I hope I don't get marked down for being late to attend, time will tell I suppose. Personally, I didn't actually miss any appointments, my AFCO actually misplaced my application, however I wouldn't bring that up.
As long as you submitted your application on time, completed & returned your forms on time & attended all appointments booked at your AFCO on time then your SIFT interview report forwarded to AIB will reflect just that. You will not get any adverse judgement whichever POC & AIB you attend, it's your track record that is relevant. "First impressions" & all that.

Good luck.

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
As long as you submitted your application on time, completed & returned your forms on time & attended all appointments booked at your AFCO on time then your SIFT interview report forwarded to AIB will reflect just that. You will not get any adverse judgement whichever POC & AIB you attend, it's your track record that is relevant. "First impressions" & all that.

Good luck.
Ah right, thanks Ninja.

steve_elvin

Reaction score
Hi there guys I'm on this POC on May 26th, got my dates really late so I have like 4 weeks to get up to scratch and ready for this, so any help, links and information would be appreciated. Is anyone living near Burnham On Sea, Weston area who wants to do a bit of training?

Iago

Reaction score
Yep, I'm on this POC - was meant to be doing it 28th April but got injured so I postponed. Just as well I got a bit more time because I'm beginning to realise how tough it's *text deleted* be! Looking forward to it loads though. How are you guys feeling about it?

Steve, what kind of training have you been doing? All I can say is I've been doing alot of body weight circuit type work - press-ups are still causing problems... other than that alot of running really!

Let us know how you're getting on, looking forward to meeting whoever's doing it on the 26th!

Liam

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Similar to you Liam, - now it's getting closer I'm beginning to get rather anxous. Still a lot of training and studying to be done, and my boots are still causing me problems.

I'm also focusing on the bodyweight weight stuff mate, not used any heavy weights in a long time now.

How did your guys pre-poc briefs go? I've got mine thursday.

Iago

Reaction score
POC brief was fine, the ACLO basically just went through the POC briefing notes in a bit more detail, useful to know how hard it will be - hammers home the importance of not giving up basically!

What's up with your boots then? How has training been going?

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Ah right, nothing to worry about then. Which AFCO have you come through? Mine is Birmingham.

Just struggling a bit with blisters that's all, hopefully be ok though come POC. Training is going ok, I'm quite concerned about the bleep test though to be honest, - 12.5 seems to be my limit at the moment.

Have you got all your kit sorted? Might sound a bit daft but how many suits and shirts are you taking?

Luke

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Does that mean you had Capt MaC*text deleted**text deleted*? 12.5 is alright mate, i think i got 12.6 in mine. I was suprise at the amount of people who didnt pass the RMFA on the first morning!?
I took 3shirts/ties and just the one suit - just make sure you dont spill you beans down it! OH and take bicuits, chocolate bars and flapjacks - eat as much as you can!

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
No mate, when I started the application process it was Lt. D*text deleted*, but my brief this week is with a Lt. E*text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* who I've not yet met.

Cheers for that mate, puts me at ease a little. Was 12.6 your personal best or did you do slightly less due to nerves etc?

Also mate, did the majority of lads just wear their standard suits for, 'Drinks in the Officer's Mess', or did most take a seperate lounge suit/flanells etc?

Aplogies for the 21 questions *text deleted* and thanks for the advice.

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Not a prob mate, its not a PB but i hadnt done a bleep test in years before then! I got cut short in mine as the PTI pointed between two of us and said stop, but he didnt mean me! I couldnt then catch up! I got over 13 in my AIB by swimming and drink beer, haha so yeh i think nerves may effect you alittle. Some of the guys brought flanells but most didnt. As long as you are smart then they dont mind so much.

Iago

Reaction score
Point,

With the endurance course, which is the hardest part? I know you're soaked before the half-way mark, does this make the run back to CTC infinitely harder?! Is there any way to prepare yourself for it do you reckon??

Also, do you know how the RMFA is marked? For example if I did badly on the press-ups and really well on the sit-ups how would that bode?

I'm also sorry for the 20 questions!

Liam

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
I actually found the run back to CTC the easiest part funnily enough, at that point your put into a formation and run back - just keep up with the rhythm and you'll be fine! To be honest it hard to pin point the hardest bit. Your soak right from the beginning when you go through the river and have to dunk your head under for 10 seconds - which is easy said than done as you have just sprinted for 100/150 metres! As you go through you go from being soaked to caked in mud so i guess it gets hard as you go on.
Two things i would say is 1) dont drink the water from the crocodile pit! I did and had the *text deleted**text deleted*s the whole evening, was running out every 10 minutes when talking to the current YOs. *text deleted* fun times to come! 2) Be at the front and be first! Not to blow my own trumpet but i was a lot fitter than the others, so when ever i got to a obstacle i just ran on the spot. As soon as every body is there you crack on, so i guess i got small 'rest' (if you can call it that) points.
I did alot of fartlek training before i went plus i was training for a military pentathlon team. By putting an interval session in the middle of a run will greatly increase you recovery time and help you know end when your down there, other than that i was running alot and swimming alot also. Concentrated on press ups, pull ups and sit ups.

With regards to the RMFA, i dont exactly know but you need to get 180 min to pass. For this really concentrate of technique, you WILL loose reps if you dont do them properly!

hope this helps!

Iago

Reaction score
Yes mate it helps, thanks very much.

This website is a godsend!

I go from being confident to filled with dread so it's good to get advice from people who have done it. I think I'm just worried about the RMFA because it's more down to base fitness than grit and determination, so it's more daunting because of the clear pass/fail element!