Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC 28th May

Discussion in 'Potential Officers Course Dates' started by Dezzie, May 7, 2012.

1. Dezzie

Dezzie New Member

Hello Lads

Passed my Sift interview last week and am going to be on this POC, just wondering if anyone else is and how their preparations are going?

Also at my briefing the careers officer said not to wear anything other than standard issue boots, as those wearing fancy boots may be singled out for extra attention. However looking through the forum many suggest taking along some Magnums etc. has anyone on a recent POC seen this 'extra attention' , and what are people with POC's coming up planning on doing?

Thanks in advance!

2. AMcC

AMcC New Member

I'm on it, really nervous to be honest, Havnt had as much time to prepare as I would like but I'm just going to really smash the phys in the next few weeks. I have a pair of issue boots, and a pair of lowas but to be honest I'm not going to bring the lowas for the endurance course because they will get ruined.

As far as preparations, I'm running 5 times a week and do PPS sessions 3 times a week. I'm doing most of my training in boots. It seems to be going pretty well although I have a lot to do, and not a lot of time to do it in.

How are your preparations going?

3. Dezzie

Dezzie New Member

Completely agree about feeling nervous, I suppose it's only natural though. My preparation is going pretty well I do circuits at the gym 5 mornings a week which includes a three mile run to and from the gym, mostly body weight for the upper body and core, and then leg strength conditioning. I swim a about 2k a week and then have two longish trail runs about 7-8 miles.

I'm in the middle of my finals at the moment which is a pain but I'm all done next week and intend to have full on ten days and then three days of rest, hopefully that should do the trick.

On the boot front I'm going to bring both pairs and then play it by ear. Can't seem to stop myself flapping over probably insignificant details.

4. AMcC

AMcC New Member

What sort of times are you getting on your 7-8mile?

My ALevels just started yesterday so I am finding it hard to find enough time in the day, Aiming to train 3 times a day now.

Are you on any protein supplement at the moment?

5. Dezzie

Dezzie New Member

It depends on what I work into the run really such as hill reps and body weight excersises. Two thirds of the way I do a 1.5 mile lap of a race course which is on long grass and that's under 11 mins. I'm generally out for an hour and a half.

About a year ago I was around 60kg and took up bodybuilding in order to get above the weight and I am now at around 75kg, whey protein post workout and casein before bed was a ritual. Now I only really use whey post circuit if I've done a lot of leg strength work. I think training twice or more again is best as it will replicate day 2 to a certain extent.

Best of luck for your exams, I think A-levels are more difficult than degrees so it's a top effort to be on a POC in exam season!

6. AMcC

AMcC New Member

Yea I have a lot to do over the next month. I was originally given the 18-20th june for my POC and that was perfect timing preparation wise but, it fell ontop of two of my exams which I couldnt believe because they are my last two exams and I have a 26day gap between my last one in may til them, but hey, sods law haha.

I'm just really excited to crack on with my application to be honest. Are you going for the 2012 intake?

7. Dezzie

Dezzie New Member

Yes September is the aim. I honestly think no matter how long you have to prepare they will push you to the limits of your physical capacity. I think it will be the ability to really dig deep and push on that ultimately is the deciding factor. Really excited to get down there and get a taste of it!

8. Mad_fer_it

Mad_fer_it New Member

On the boot front, I would definitely recommend that you use standard issue boots throughout. You may get singled out, but more importantly, standard issue are much sturdier, and there's 101 things on the endurance course to twist your ankle on, which is more llikely if you're wearing flimsier magnums. I found the difference to the speed in which you can run in both to be negligible anyway.

I'd also recommend toning any muscle-buidling work right down as well. You basically want to be as light as possible and as strong as possible - high rep bodyweight squats, press ups and such are what you want to focus on, rather than bench, squat etc. I personally wouldn't bother doing much sprint training either...I found that it didn't come in particularly useful useful - middle distance running (3-6 miles) with fartlek-style intervals is what I'd focus on.

Hope this helps!

9. AMcC

AMcC New Member

That Helps a lot actually, thanks. I have been mainly focusing on the longer runs, with a few 1.5 mile runs thrown in, and PPS sessions. I do a little circuits too but not a lot, like once a week.

Have you already completed the POC?

10. Mad_fer_it

Mad_fer_it New Member

No worries, yes I have completed the POC. I think everyone overestimates how strong you need to be to pass - I'm just over 11 stone at 6 feet tall and I got the highest pressups and pullups score on my POC...it's strength relative to bodyweight you need to have as opposed to raw strength. They'll build you up as they need to in training, but it's not neccessary for POC. Regarding running, I'd make sure that you can run any distance between 3-6 miles at a realatively quick pace, and can hit the max squats, pressups etc shortly after having completed that run, again muscular endurance.

Trust me, when you have a T-shirt, rugby shirt, military fatigues and boots on, which are all soaking wet, you want as little excess weight as possible. I'd aim to shed as much 'beach muscle' as you can before POC, if you see what I mean.

11. AMcC

AMcC New Member

Beach Muscle?? I wish I had some beach muscle to lose haha. I'm finding it very hard to get my pull ups to increase, Have you got any tips?

12. Dezzie

Dezzie New Member

For pull ups beyond doing lots, I like to mix in some lat pull downs, static holds (holding yourself at the top of the pull up) and assisted pull ups. If your not a member of a gym you won't have access to a lat pull down or assisted pull up machine unfortunately. I found doing repeated sets to failure with 60-90 seconds rest in between sets every other day really boosted performance. I've got up to 19 on a pull up bar with these excersises, interested how that will convert to reps on a beam after the rest of the RMFA. Two weeks to go!

P.S have you had your travel docs yet?

13. AMcC

AMcC New Member

Yea I have been doing Press-up, sit-up and pull-up sessions and doing pull-ups to failure then doing negatives. I'm not a member of a gym so have no access to lat pull down or assisted, which is a bit of a bummer, but sure, I have 2 weeks.

I filled out the Model Release Form and Annex but I havnt revieved and travel details as of yet. I only got my date like last week but I would say ill have them fairly soon. Although I am coming from Northern Ireland so theres a lot more to my travel docs I guess. Have you got yours yet?

14. Dezzie

Dezzie New Member

No don't have mine yet. Do you think the model release form is standard or do you think it means we are going to be filmed for some purpose?

15. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

It's a standard thing because you'll have your photo taken at the beginning of the course.

16. AMcC

AMcC New Member

I recieved my travel info yesterday afternoon, I'm all sorted now. Yes, as Pock said, its just because we have a course photo taken.

17. AMcC

AMcC New Member

By the way Pock, the best of luck for your POC, How are the nerves now?

18. Dezzie

Dezzie New Member

That's a shame I had been practising my action poses! Good luck as well Pock, get down there and smash it! Then get back on here with any pearls of wisdom you've gained.

19. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

Haha, thanks. Same to you lads!

20. nyo66

nyo66 New Member

I'm on this POC - anyone traveling from Portsmouth area?