Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC 5-7th December

Discussion in 'Potential Officers Course Dates' started by jstannard10, Sep 11, 2011.

1. jstannard10

jstannard10 New Member

Alright fellas,

I thought I'd create this thread and see who else is on this POC. I know a few of you on here are on this one too.

How's the training going 3 months out?

2. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Hey mate, the training's going pretty well at the moment. I just got back from Magaluf, and am in the middle of freshers' week at the moment, but I hit the phys seriously hard a couple of weeks ago and I can feel the benefits coming through now. I'm just trying to build up my endurance over the next few weeks, hopefully reaching a steady 16 mile run soon. I've also been progressing the intensity of my circuits and interval training.

I'd really recommend the rowing machine by the way. I did 10 x 500m with 1 min rest, and it was pure agony from beginning to end! My uni's gym has just got a state of the art circuit training room, so I'm looking forward to getting on that. I'm also planning on getting one heavy squats session in a week to build myself up for the fireman's carries.

How's your training going? Have you actually written a plan down?

3. jstannard10

jstannard10 New Member

Sounds like you've got it sussed! I've been working full time for the summer but going to cut down end of sept and really up my training, I've wanted to bulk up a little and still be able yo carry my weight and maintain speed so I've been on a solid weights program, intervals and a few long runs! What sort of runs do you do apart from building for a 16 mile slog?

I do have a 12 week plan for the POC where hopefully I'll peak at the right time. My gym facilities are great too, I belong to an old school body builders gym, but they've got an mma and boxing academy, which includes a sports hall with tractor tyres, ropes and lots of pullup bars and rings which is perfect for circuits. How many times a week are you looking at doing? Started any prep for the academic side of POC or AIB?

4. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Your gym sounds ideal for circuit training! Most of my runs are about 5/6 miles. I also do hill sprints occasionally, and fartlek and bleep tests on the treadmill. What sort of intervals do you do?

I'll probably aim to train about 6 days a week, but I'll play it by ear depending on how much rest I feel I need. What about yourself? I'm going to try and balance strenth, intensity and endurance. So I'm thinking of doing a few different runs, a couple of varied circuit sessions and a strength session each week. I'm also aiming every now and again to do a circuit session in the morning and then a long fartlek run in the afternoon to prepare for day 2 of POC. What does your plan look like?

I think that the preparation I did for the sift should be sufficient for POC, so I'll aim to just brush up on that. I'll also read the news and the Economist etc. to stay updated on current affairs. I've got essay deadlines around the 10th December which is annoying, but hopefully won't get in the way too much. How's your academic prep going?

5. nelz96

nelz96 New Member

hey guys looks like you both are getting along well with your planning towards your POC! just wanted to know, as you two are coming up too the real thing in a few months, are you nervous or just ready to go and kick ass?! also what advice would you give to a 15 year old who is interested in being an officer in the future? many thanks

6. jstannard10

jstannard10 New Member

Jungleman, sorry its taken awhile to reply. *text deleted** really upped the ante on the training. Focussing on circuits and explosive compound weights exercises. I'm doing a beep test every other day, trying to build a bit of endurance and delay fatigue so I can reach the higher levels. 5 weeks out how are you looking? My academic prep is ok, navy knowledge is coming along, RM knowledge is good, need to brush up on current deployments and exercises. Have you started to prepare your lecturette?

7. jstannard10

jstannard10 New Member

nelz96,

My advice to you would be just to stick with your education, take it as far as you can and knuckle down. Play lots of team sport, especially rugby and keep a high standard of fitness so when you've finally got a POC date your basic fitness will be strong so you can be a machine down at lympstone. Try and stay up to date with all the RM/RN news and as well just watch the news. Don't neglect maths too! Yes definitely ready to kick some ass, not really nervous, its all about preparation, the more you train/prepare the easier it will be.I'm anxious to get down and show the staff why I should be selected for training.

You should try and arrange an acquaint day, where you get to go down and visit lympstone. Contact your local armed forces careers office and try to get on one of these days. They are good fun and you get to see what its all about. Theres always these forums too, the lads on here are useful and always have advice!

Above all just keep focused and if you want it you will achieve it. Good luck mate.

8. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Hey mate, it sounds like you're entering beast-mode! Have you done much running in boots? I've been doing 9-12 milers in boots twice a week on hilly routes, focusing on getting plenty of fartlek intervals in. I've been steadily increasing my reps on press ups, sit ups, pull ups, and been hitting the treadmill/rowing intervals and hill sprints. I've also been using kettlebells and barbells in my circuits to build strength and prepare for the log work on Bottom Field.

I'm fairly confident, and I can feel myself getting fitter week upon week, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. Most guys seem to have failed on the Endurance Course, so I've been trying to get used to doing loads of work on the legs in one day. What sort of distance work have you been doing?

I've been pretty caught up in uni work so I've not looked at the Navy/RM preparation yet. The work I did for the sift was quite good, so I'll probably just recap on that a few weeks before and look up any changes. I've also not prepared my lecture, but I think that should be okay. Have you done yours? How's your current affairs knowledge coming along? I think I might write a couple of mock essays a week before just to get my brain in gear for it.

9. jstannard10

jstannard10 New Member

Sounds like you are entering beast mode too with those long runs in boots! How long does it take you to smash that out? Do you do many circuits at the moment? How are your RMFA scores looking? If you need advice or training tips on how to bump them up a little bit I've got a strategy which worked for me, getting the max for sit ups press ups and 14 pull-ups with good form! I do need to run mock RMFAs though following the exact timings we will be under. *text deleted** been doing a variety of runs; i do a long run (6-9miles) then a short run at pace (3 miles) then a medium run with intervals, hill sprints and leg work (3 miles out to a nice steep hill, intervals, then 2-3 miles home). *text deleted** also been doing 1.5mile best efforts followed by a round of circuits repeating 4 times! Thats a killer! Trying to beat my PJFT time of 7.39 for the first 1.5 then the rest in under 9.30! Have you got a training partner?

*text deleted** started to prepare a lecturette, but i guess ill be practising more in the last week of November. For my sift I did a fair amount on Navy service knowledge, but you can never know enough. I want to find some up to dates facts and figures too.

Current affairs wise, I've been watching the news and read the sunday papers, thats not really enough! Hows your coming along? *text deleted** really been concentrating on the phys to be honest. *text deleted** only just started running in boots but I've been wearing them to work for a few months. Been bathing my feet in tea! The tannin in tea hardens up your feet and helps with the blisters.

Having said all that I've had a nice few days off training to get rid of stiffness and relax a bit. Are you going to take a few days off before POC to be "fresh"?

Have you started your disso yet? Keep everything up mate, doing well!

10. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Wow, 4 x 1.5 milers with circuits sounds rough as anything mate!! Well done, it sounds like you're pretty much there. I tweaked my back doing treadmill bleep tests on Tuesday night (you might have seen my post), so I'm taking it easy for the next week. I'll probably go for some swims as I was meaning to anyway, and bang out lots of press ups and pull ups. My legs are aching from the squats session I did before it as well, so it's not too bad. I doubt it will affect my fitness too badly, so my priority is to get to Lympstone injury-free.

I'm fairly confident about my RMFA scores. I got 12.10 on the bleep test after the two 1.5 milers at my RMAD, so I'll hopefully smash that score. I'm aiming for maximum press ups, 10ish pull ups, and 70ish sit ups. My sit ups seem to be lingering in the sixties, which is pretty annoying because I know my core strength is good. I weigh nearly fifteen stone, so the body weight stuff isn't really my forte!

It sounds like you're going to annihilate the RMFA! Maxing that thing out would be legendary! Do you have a pair of proper military boots? Mine feel pretty comfortable and are well broken in, so I'll hopefully have no dramas with blisters. Having said that, after the hell of both Bottom Field and Endurance Course in one day I can't see our feet being in good nick!

The long runs in boots take about 70-90 minutes, depending on the route. My circuits have been mainly involving burpees, squat jumps, press ups, pull ups, kettlebell swings, fast rowing/spinning, parallel bar dips etc. After this I normally do a strength session of bench press and shoulder press, or deadlifts and cleans. I usually devote a different session to working my core, normally including burpees and press ups.

I just took notes on the updates to the Navy's website, and it was only a few pages worth, so we should be mostly consolidating our sift knowledge. I've been trying to keep up to speed with the news and reading lots of newspaper articles for the essays and discussions.

11. jstannard10

jstannard10 New Member

Yes got some standard issue military boots, lots of people have 2 pairs-one lighter pair for the endurance course and 1 for the assault course with a decent heal block, I'll make do with the standard issue, it's what YO will be in.

Had the last week and a bit off with the flu, so when I'm healthy the next few weeks will be manic in trying to get ready.

Have you been doing any swimming?

Is this your first time at lympstone?

12. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Hi mate, I've actually just been taken off this POC and put on the 13-15th February course. My back just isn't right and I still can't run. I went to the doctor about my it last night, and she gave me some powerful anti-inflammatories to speed recovery/bring the pain down. She said that it'll still take at least a couple of weeks to heal properly, and that any arduous exercise will just make things twice as bad. I phoned up AIB to ask what the drill was with changing POC, and she said that if I can't run at this stage I shouldn't even be contemplating going down there so soon. Massively frustrating, but at least it's not a serious injury. I'll just crack on with my dissertation in the meantime.

Have you recovered fully from the flu yet? Have you been doing much swimming? I've swam twice since my injury - it strangely didn't didn't hurt my back at all and was a really good workout.

I've never been to Lymstone before. Have you?

Anyway, best of luck man, I'm sure you'll smash it! Let us know how you get on.

13. TM

TM Member

Stannard has been to Lympstone before on a POV - I was lucky enough to share pillow talk with him in January. Beautiful man.

14. jstannard10

jstannard10 New Member

Gutted for you mate, but if your backs not right it's a bad idea, you can use the time to your advantage, swim and light weights until you can run! Then blast it!

I'm devastated we won't be sharing anymore pillow talk at lympstone, but you'll do well at sandhurst in may fella!

Hoping my fitness is back to scratch after my man flu, working at horrible high intensity for the next week then it's game time, I will give you a heads up on the poc interview and essay questions and any tips I may be able to give! Smash your poc in jan, maybe see you at AIB in feb-maybe a little optimistic but I'm not going on a poc to fail!! Good luck mate.

15. jstannard10

jstannard10 New Member

*february

16. bob1989

bob1989 New Member

that's what i'm talking about!

17. jungle-man

jungle-man Member

Sounds like you're going to smash it with that attitude mate! I doubt your flu will have hindered you too much, since you were in phenomenal shape before it by the sound of things.

By back is finally starting to seriously improve. I was doing light swimming and cycling sessions for a couple of weeks, but these were just aggravating it. Completely resting up on the cardio for a few days has worked wonders. The rest has also boosted my upper body strength like never before as well. Previously, I was only hitting 9 or 10 pull ups in my circuit sessions, but last night I managed 12 for the first time ever. My cv fitness will definitely have dropped, however this should be easily regained by February.

Maybe see you on an AIB (I'll probably be aiming for May/June), but if not then hopefully on the batch! One step at a time though, haha! Any tips you could give after your result would be great. Best of luck, and my thoughts will be with you and the rest of the lads next Tuesday!

18. jos202

jos202 New Member

Nice thread guys, how did it go?