POC arrival

Snowberto

Reaction score
Hi All, with my POC coming up I was wondering what clothes I should wear to arrive I have quite far to travel on the train so I am not too keen on wearing a suit the whole trip but will if it's the dome thing, thanks

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
You’re going for a job interview that starts the moment you get off the train at Lympstone Commando. If you think that entering an elite military base where you will be under scrutiny from the start, dressed in casual clothes will cut it, I really recommend a rethink.

Good luck

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
Hi All, with my POC coming up I was wondering what clothes I should wear to arrive I have quite far to travel on the train so I am not too keen on wearing a suit the whole trip but will if it's the dome thing, thanks

As stated by @Caversham the scrutiny and interview will start the moment you step off the train at Lympstone Commando railway station.

You'll almost certainly change trains at Exeter to board the Exmouth stopper which serves Lympstone Commando.

From a practical point of view Exeter St Davids railway station has numerous public conveniences in which one might freshen up and change out of travelling rig into a lounge suit. But bear in mind that back in the day Officers were expected to wear 'appropriate' civilian clothing when travelling.

By the way, is your POC today? It will be a shock to some that the armed services don't 'do' bank holidays. :)

northmonkeySW

Reaction score
If you're coming a long way, it'd make sense to get change into the suit as you got closer to Exeter, just nip into the loo on the train and get changed - I do it for work all the time, so just ignore the odd looks (and make sure that your bags don't get nicked!). Just make sure you're wearing that suit as you arrive - you don't get a second go at first impressions.

D

dodgyknees

I am suprised by this thread. You are applying to be an officer so suit is standard issue for all serials. Wear what you want on the train but by the time you arrive at CTC you should be in a suit with highly polished shoes and a non-garish collar and tie. Even though you do not actually do anything on the first night other than meet the other applicants, you are accommodated in the Officers' Mess and should dress accordingly.