POC at 25 years old

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by RedStag, Jul 1, 2017.

1. RedStag

RedStag New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Good morning, gentlemen.

I am currently in the process of completing my application to join the Royal Marines as a 'Young Officer', although as the title suggests perhaps the 'Young' part is less applicable!

I have, like many young men my age, been somewhat lost for the last few years after Uni when it comes to finding a career choice that both challenges and excites. Working as a call centre manager for 'The Tax Man' is neither...

It wasn't until about a year ago that I was browsing YouTube and came across the Chris Terrill documentary 'Commando—On the Front Line', my eureka moment had arrived.

A year later and after various setbacks, mainly a few lacerated tendons in my right hand (Trigger finger included) and a nasty chest infection, I am finally ready to begin my journey! Cheesy I know!

I've been training hard and studying up on all things Royal Marines, however one thing I have not come across is any information regarding the experiences of those in a similar situation to myself. With one intake a year and training beginning in September, by the time I actually ever began training I would be 2 months away from turning 26 years old, making this my only shot.

Any insight or experiences from those who have been or are in a similar situation, particularly on how the application/training process differs from those younger applicants (if at all), would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers Lads :D

2. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    If it does not work, being a Private soldier GD Marine or Airman can be just as good, if not better with less officey stuff and more courses for the switched on and fit

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. RedStag

RedStag New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah that's the plan if I'm unsuccessful at Officer level, less waiting around to start as well with the increased number of intakes :)

4. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Hey mate, I'm a 25 year old currently waiting on FSB for this years batch, I was one month from turning 25 when I did my POC earlier this year.

Obviously I can't give you any insight into training but I have been told my many that the extra couple of years can be an invaluable resource of mental and physical maturity. With regards to YO training, I believe the average age is 23, so at 25 we really shouldn't see much of a difference.

As for the application process, my process has not differed at all to any other applicant I know. From an official point of view, there is no preferential nor deferential treatment of 25 year old candidates compared to an 18 year old applicant. However I will say that on my POC and various interactions with other applicants throughout this process, I noticed small differences with regards to confidence and ability to present and articulate themselves between the younger and older lads. Not to say an 18 year can't smash POC, and I'm sure many do, but as a 25 year old you have a distinct advantage of many more years of experience, living independently, attending interviews, growing and maturing etc. So if anything, I've seen my age as an advantage.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrDann

MrDann Member

App Stage:
    I am in the same situation as Quantumblade, having passed POC and AIB, now feedback from the board.

I initially applied 2/3 years ago, but for one reason or another it has taken this long to finish the application process. From a very personal stance, even those few years have provided a large amount of experiences and opportunities to be a better applicant for the role. An opinion which was echoed among my batch at POC, where the older lads generally did better, in my opinion due to greater mental maturity.

Very similarly to you , the idea of joining the RM came out of nowhere, later in life than others, whilst I was at uni. The clarity of vision and motivation that just the application process has given me at this stage of my life, when most other are starting to accept that they will never meet there goals, has shown to me that this is something I desperately want and am capable of achieving.

If you are motivated, driven and apply yourself in every aspect to the application, then why the bloody hell should you being 25/26 be anything other than a positive?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Best of luck chaps. No pressure, eh? :D

• Like Like x 5
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

Was nice of them to make the wait a month longer too!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  8. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    21st July will never mean the same again!

9. RedStag

RedStag New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks very much lads, sorry for my late reply, been on holiday with rather sketchy wifi access haha

Great to know there are other lads out there in the same boat and that you have found it to be a positive attribute, very informative!

Good luck to you both with FSB

• Like Like x 1