POC Boots

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Hi there, i was reading about wearing your own boots to POC....

Can anyone reccomend a Boot ( with the heel block ) that i can wear to POC, the reason being is that i would like to start training in these... therefore when POC does come along. I am prepared in every way possible.

Also when you anyone reccomend a good site buy these boots.

Thanks

Rob

JSB

Reaction score
I can't recommend you some boots mate although if you have a search around the site you should find relevant advice. I would say don't over do it though, you can injure yourself. Personally, I'll only be thinking about doing some running in boots when I've got my POC date. I'll probably only do a run a week in the 4 or so weeks leading up to it with boots so I'm prepared, but I'll have done quite a bit of walking in my boots to break them in, which is probably more important.

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
I can't recommend you some boots mate although if you have a search around the site you should find relevant advice. I would say don't over do it though, you can injure yourself. Personally, I'll only be thinking about doing some running in boots when I've got my POC date. I'll probably only do a run a week in the 4 or so weeks leading up to it with boots so I'm prepared, but I'm have done quite a bit of walking in my boots to break them in, which is probably more important.

Yeah, what boots though?..........do the RM issue boots when you get your POC date?

Or is their a specific type of boot that you are going to buy.

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
cool, all searches are coming up as the basic british issue combat high boot.

I am glad as its probably the cheapest option aswell..... i shall treat myself to LOWAS when i eventually pass Officer Training. " Now i have a real incentive"

Reaction score
I would definitely go with the standard issue british combat high boot, polish them every night and then brush it off in the morning. That will help soften them up as well as obviously wearing them in. Get some sorbothane insoles if you want something a bit softer on the inside, I think that they are probably worth it, I used them throughout training.

Adamos

Reaction score
I've done exactly as RMRO has said above. They are called GB Britons or something like that. I used silvermans.com for them, no second line stuff. My AFCO told me if you take anything else you wont be allowed to use them.
Get them early and get used to them slowly, make sure the size is right etc, or they will own your feet. I learnt the hard way and ended up in flip flops for a month. Its not just the boots, but your feet aren't adapted to the boots.
Also found the sorbothane insoles are a superb addition and a must have, like having a little cherub hugging your foot absorbing the horrible impact you get with standard boots.

Reaction score
I went down to my local army surplus shop and they said the best bet would be to buy a pair of standard british army ones, so i did!
Ive been running in them once a week for about a month now, and got two very annoying blisters on each heel.
Has anyone got any advice on running with blisters as its not having time to heal due to constant running on them.

Hoppy99

Royal Marines Commando Officer
Reaction score
just keep running?:uglyhammer:

I think they hurt the most when they are cold so once you are actually moving they are not to bad!! just keep them clean and they wont get infected!! your feet will get used to the boots after a while and you wont get them anymore! I have had my boots for 3 years now and they are like slippers, albeit slightly heavier ones!!:sad:

Mitch

Reaction score
To prevent blisters in the first place I use two pairs of socks; one thin liner pair and a slighty thicker pair over the top, tailored to the weather conditions you are in (thicker for colder temperatures and thinner for warmer climes). The theory is that the two socks will slide over each other and take the friction instead of your feet. Using proper socks with wicking poperties stops your feet getting too hot. I haven't had many blisters with my boots and they are a few years old now and have had a lot of use. If i do get a blister zinc oxide has been a saviour!

Mitch

markwalker2

Reaction score
Alrite fella, on the bottom field you have to wear assault boots which will be issued when you arrive if you dont have them. However for the endurance course you can wear your own boots i.e. lowas,magnums so long as they are of a military profile. You need assault boot on the bottom field because they have a heel block which locks into obstacles like the gate vault

mike webb

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
where to buy boots?!?!

ok lads...

so some of you may have read my blister thread.... but now i need news boots!

ive got my trip to lympstone on march 16th (POC), now at the moment, im running around in my white and black timberland boots.... theres nothing wrong with them boot wise, nice and simple, good sole, good heel block, and come up above the ankle... only problem is... the corporal will probably go ape *text deleted**text deleted* by even the suggestion that i wear them on the endurance course!

so i need a pair of black army style boots that will keep them happy... i need to start training in them, because i want to break them in and make sure they are comfy! ive tried to get hold of such boots.... but i cant find anywhere that sells what im after... can anyone please suggest where i could go to buy such boots?

mike

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would suggest the army and navy surplus store, there has to be one near you, there must be at least three where i live *text deleted*. That's where i got mine anyway.

walter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ebay.

Surpluss boots will be already worn in for ya.

Which is a Bonus.

Murphy

Reaction score
I've got some Army issue boots from a surplus store, combined with a proper inner sock (the old 1000 mile garanteed no blisters type) and olive green wooly socks over the top i haven't had any trouble. I wore them about the house for a while, a few long yomps and runs and they were broken in sufficiently. Also clean polish after every use is advised as it seems to soften the leather a bit and increase the waterproofing which i imagine is essential for things like the endurance course.

kit_34

Reaction score
If you can, try not to buy second hand boots- they may be worn in, but the person who bought them broke them into their feet, not yours.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J POC Boots POC Section 4
thundernerd PRMC/POC boots General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 6
3344 Best boots for POC/PRMC General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 18