POC Dates and notes for the 2017 entry.

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Course capacity 8 to 20. Any less than eight & the POC will not run.

20-23 Nov 16
    4-7 Dec 16
    15-18 Jan 17
    29 Jan - 1 Feb 17
    12 - 15 Feb 17
    18 - 22 Mar 17
    2 - 5 Apr 17
    30 Apr - 3 May 17
    21 - 24 May 17
    28 - 31 May 17

This means there are 200 POC places available.

Be aware additional courses will not be provided and candidates will be offered the first available place or the second available place.

All applications for the Sept 2017 entry must submit their application BEFORE 15 Jan 2017 and all selection elements prior to POC must be completed no later than 15 April 2017.

Final AIB for the 2017 entry will be 16 June 2017.

Be aware applications submitted now should make the cut for the 2017 YO entry, but those applying after Christmas may not make the cut for the 2017 entry.

This year (2016) 38 applicants, passed POC & AIB and were not selected - many of them intend re-applying for the 2017 entry.

Requirement for 2017 is currently 40 RMYOs.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. VerlorenHoop

VerlorenHoop Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    How common is "course not running" due to insufficient numbers? The way you talk suggests they're all likely to be full

3. Ninja_Stoker

What tends to happen is YO applicants leave it until March - June for POC and AIB, in the assumption extra courses will run to meet demand. This next year, they won't - courses will be filled in the order they occur so potential leaders unable to plan ahead with adequate foresight will miss their opportunity, regardless of unfilled courses earlier in the selection year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Bottom line, for those aspiring to join as a Royal Marines Officer in 2017 - get your applications underway now and do not delay your application. Do not aim to do POC in May because you are likely to miss the batch, the later POCs are aimed at those delayed due to unforeseen setbacks, not those who demonstrate poor personal admin skills by failing to adequately prepare.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

Do the 38 who were not selected have to redo any elements of their applications?

6. MadMan48

MadMan48 Member

Ninja, I'm coming back from a fairly serious injury and had intended to go for a later POC (April/May) to give myself as much time as possible to train and get fit again. Do you reckon it's possible to "book" a place on one of the later ones?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Just the 'time expired' elements. Apart from the recruit test, everything else remains valid 12 months & must be valid on the date of entry.

8. Ninja_Stoker

If the injury is significant enough to require 8 months to regain fitness and get yourself fit enough to attend a POC, then odds are your AFCO will need to know about it so that you can undergo another medical examination (assuming you've already been passed fit) to again pass you fit to enter with regard that particular injury. It's basically regarded as a 'self-certified TMU'.

The line taken by AIB, who book POCs, is that applicants declared fit at medical, who have passed their PJFT, will be offered two dates - the next course with vacancies & the course immediately after.

The reason for this is to stop the surge of last minute applicants causing a 'bow wave' and unnecessary bias toward RM Officer AIBs in May/June to ensure RN Officer candidates have equal priority on the selection boards.

Can you book yourself on a later date POC? You can certainly ask, but you are probably better off targeting a 2018 entry if you want to make the cut if they won't allow it.

9. MadMan48

MadMan48 Member

Seen. I can see the sense in the policy change, Seems odd to have courses cancelled due to lack of numbers earlier in the year only to have extra ones put on later.

Last time I spoke with the AFCO we decided on a re-med around December, which should give sufficient time for recovery as my surgery was April. Hopefully(!) the fitness comes back well enough, just thought I'd be sensible to give myself as much time as possible.

Cheers

10. JAMBO2511

JAMBO2511 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    I'm one of the guys who didn't get selected for YO Batch 2016 and aim to redo AIB this year, any chance of AIB dates being posted on here or where I can find them?

11. Ninja_Stoker

AIBs run pretty much weekly, leave periods aside. As long as it's cracked by 16th June, it matters not.

The only reason it may sometimes appear there are RM only AIBs is beside of the traditional last minute rush which they are trying to avoid this next year. My tip? Go for AIB before Chrimbo if you can.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  12. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
  13. Ninja_Stoker

AIBs run pretty much weekly during term time, there are no designated RM AIBs beyond the fact one is identified as the last feasible AIB to make that years batch. No one should target the last AIB as they are likely to be disappointed - we usually keep it for those with injuries or genuine medical setbacks.

14. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    When does term time roughly begin. (I'm not asking pointless questions I want to go to Africa on the 1st January for 6 months (return 1st July) and want to know if I can crack out a POC and AIB before then). Going to Phone my AFCO to talk about it in length but just want to know if it is possible.

15. Ninja_Stoker

If you are spending more than 180 days overseas just prior to entry, you'll need a residency waiver to gain SC.

You will need to produce a list of specific dates & addresses, during your jaunt and remain contactable throughout.

You may be advised to produce a Police Computer Check certificate to help speed along your getting SC prior to entry. If there isn't a reciprocal security protocol with the country or countries visited, then you may not gain SC in time for entry. Unlikely, but worth being in possession of the requirements as a few have fallen foul.

Term times align roughly with the generic secondary school annual calendar.

16. Shaquille O'Neal

Shaquille O'Neal New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Is the 180 days a single block of 180 days or 180 days just before you join? As i am abroad from January to April for 104 days and then hopefully coming back to do my AIB in May (providing I pass POC), after this I will potentially be going abroad again for more than 76 days meaning I would be over the 180 day threshold? Do you foresee any issues with this?

17. Ninja_Stoker

I understand it as 180 days continuous. You should be OK, but double -check with your careers office.

18. Shaquille O'Neal

Shaquille O'Neal New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thank you. I didn't think it would be an issue, but I just wanted to confirm with you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Just a swift 'bump' to remind those aiming for the 2017 Intake...

All applications for the Sept 2017 entry must submit their application BEFORE 15 Jan 2017 and all selection elements prior to POC must be completed no later than 15 April 2017.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NALEXB

NALEXB New Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Hi ninja,
    Does that mean that the if there are 15 PYOs on each of the POCs (150 in total), that there wont be extra's added to the end of the year (as they might have been last year I think) to make up the other 50?

Cheers