POC Fail

thejoshwest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, wasn't sure whether to put this post in the POC section or here, was just thinking it will get more traffic here, but feel free to move it.
Basically I got back from my POC yesterday, which I failed, however I passed all the physical tests on the course including the endurance course and run back to camp, but was let down with my essay and practical leadership task. It was the most physically and mentally demanding thing I've ever done, but so much fun at the same time, and I'd be back there now if I could. Basically here to answer any questions you may have on the course, and to let you know that you can make the run back to camp and fail, but likewise fail the run back to camp and still pass the course.

Plus one for ninja, how long should it take for the careers office to get all my paperwork back and book me on a PRMC (bearing in mind I've already completed an application pack for OR, and got up to the interview before I was convinced to try for officer)

I'll also do a diary if thats what people want.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear, better luck next time mate.

What does the written part consist of?
and What did you have to do in the leadership part?

Cheers

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Unlucky mate, good to hear you're cracking straight on with your application. I think congratulations are in order for completing the course, no matter what the outcome.

Diaries are always good to read!

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that mate, but I agree a diary would be fantastic!!

thejoshwest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For the essay, the 5 question choices were 'should the nuclear deterrent be replaced', 'should bankers get bonuses', 'do video games affect childrens social skills', 'can the war on terror ever succeed' and'should celebrities have the right to privacy'

Then for the leadership part you got given an obstacle, and then given 5 minutes to look at it and think of how to get over, before going back and briefing your team, then its a race round, with you giving directions at your obstacle. The log needs two people on it when stationary, and 3 on it when moving, and everyone needs to cross the obstacle.

I was so happy for completing the endurance course though, and even though I didn't pass the whole course I now know I'm fit enough to pass, and what to expect for next time. The CO recommended me to go for PRMC at my debrief, and I now know I tried my hardest for officer and didn't make it, so I wont have any doubts for if I start recruit training.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For the essay, the 5 question choices were 'should the nuclear deterrent be replaced', 'should bankers get bonuses', 'do video games affect childrens social skills', 'can the war on terror ever succeed' and'should celebrities have the right to privacy'

Then for the leadership part you got given an obstacle, and then given 5 minutes to look at it and think of how to get over, before going back and briefing your team, then its a race round, with you giving directions at your obstacle. The log needs two people on it when stationary, and 3 on it when moving, and everyone needs to cross the obstacle.

I was so happy for completing the endurance course though, and even though I didn't pass the whole course I now know I'm fit enough to pass, and what to expect for next time. The CO recommended me to go for PRMC at my debrief, and I now know I tried my hardest for officer and didn't make it, so I wont have any doubts for if I start recruit training.
Cheers mate.

You know what to expect next time so keep the phys up and go into it with confidence but don't be hesistant with orders etc. You can do it!!

What exactly did you do wrong? Do you know?

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
And the essay sounds a bit like General Studies at A-level, did you ever do General Studies and if so is it similar?

thejoshwest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I scored highly in the phys side, but failed because my essay was below average, presentation was average, leadership task was average, and I lacked life and leadership experience because I'm 18. I'd originally applied for OR, but got to the interview, and the careers officer recommended I tried for officer because of my A levels and psychometric scores. I now realise officer just isn't for some people, and its made even harder when they exhaust you and then expect you to command. The guys who passed really are on a different level.

I did do general studies at A level, and it's almost identical to the way in which you get given a topic and put your opinions across, but I've never been one for essays aha.

Just *text deleted**text deleted** crack on with PRMC now though, as the three days made me certain that the marines is what I want to do.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of you disappointment, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

To switch your application, just call your AFCO & ask to re-commence your Other Rank application, no need to wait for the POC report.