Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC Lecurette

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Lwsnfd12, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Lwsnfd12

Lwsnfd12 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding the lecturette on day 2.

Does the subject choice tend to be based on current affairs, or does the topic vary with each candidate?

I will be sure to plan this task extensively, and ask for my AFCOs opinion after bank holiday.

Many thanks.

POC date- late may

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Hopefully someone with recent POC experience can answer your specific question.

A general observation: it's a good plan to develop a repertoire of diverse topic presentations—PowerPoint not required—ranging from three to ten minutes in duration. Maximise any opportunity where preparation can pay dividends.

One's rehearsed, structured presentations sometimes require only adaptation to effectively communicate lecture opics which are imposed rather than chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JF1310

JF1310 New Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    @Lwsnfd12 also on this POC.

I'm not sure if you have received the joining instructions and all other relevant paper work with regards to POC? But on the candidates brief, it states that the interest lecture subject will be the same for all candidates and this is on the topic 'Why am I interesting'.

Based on a recent POV attendance and speaking with a guy who has passed POC, this topic is left open for the candidate to decide which way is best to deliver this 3 minute lecture. Whether that be something more serious or about how much fun they had in Thailand one summer. It is a succinct presentation on why YOU are interesting. Current affairs is left to the discussion in the mess and the essay.

Hope this helped!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lwsnfd12

Lwsnfd12 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    @Chelonian Thank you for your advice, I'll be sure to take it on board!

@JF1310 I havent received POC documentation yet as I believe my AFCO is in the final stages of securing my place, I'll chase it up after bank holiday! That answers my question though thank you for your help. How is the rest of your training going?

Cheers guys and happy easter.

5. JF1310

JF1310 New Member

App Stage:
    @Lwsnfd12 Ah I see, that makes sense then. Fair amount of documents but everything is thoroughly explained in those! Not a problem.

Yeah training is all good, following Arny's programme with some slight modifications to fit around days at uni and what not but a lot of it nearly to the T! What about yourself?

6. Lwsnfd12

Lwsnfd12 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm also following Arnys plan, finding it really helpful for shaving minutes of those longer runs. Pull ups have appeared to plateau, but theres still plenty of time.
    Good luck with the rest of your training.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JMO

JMO New Member

App Stage:
    Had my POC a few weeks ago, again the topic was 'Why i'm interesting' and was only 3 mins which goes a lot quicker than you think.

Tips: Make sure you know what you're *text deleted* say, helps with the flow a lot and keeps you to timings.
    Make it something you'd want to listen to i.e not boring, make a few jokes, this was a key point pointed out by the Captain.
    Keep it to one topic, i got picked up for briefly describing a few points but was told to improve it would be better to go into detail on one specific story.

Good Luck

• Like Like x 2
  8. JF1310

JF1310 New Member

App Stage:
    @JMO Thanks a lot mate, seemingly a few guys have all said they wished they made theirs a bit more light hearted and funny! Also, did you pass your POC and how did you find the essay?

9. JMO

JMO New Member

App Stage:
    @JF1310 Yeah I passed, Tuesday was literally the hardest day of my life but was with a good group of lads and we got through it.

The essay most people said was hit or miss, there were about 7/8 questions to pick from none of which jumped out at first glance, but just stick to the 5 paragraph format and you’ll be okay, and make it neat, Captain mentioned that mine was a bit messy but if that’s his only complaint I’m happy.

Try and think about all the questions for a second at least as the least popular ones were then used as our discussion topic in the evening and if you’ve already got some ideas you can come out strong which is very useful when everyone is hanging out after the endurance course and struggling to walk never mind think

• Like Like x 4
  10. JF1310

JF1310 New Member

App Stage:
    @JMO Quality, solid effort!

Yeah for sure, a good pass is all you want at the end of the day! Thanks for the advice and good luck with your AIB

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

If the topic for a lecturette is 'Why I am interesting' how much leeway is permitted at POC?

One could seamlessly swerve onto a prepared talk about any moderately interesting aspect of one's own life. I'll confess that I've done this for years in other environments delivering the same five minute talk about the English Longbow for diverse topics such as 'The last time I cried' and 'My biggest failing'.
    The hardest part is making it sound almost spontaneous. :)

Arguably, the vaguer the title for a lecturette, the more options available to exploit it.

12. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Well done @JMO great effort.

If it makes you feel better, my son reckons they have only had half a dozen sessions on he batch that match 'black Tuesday'.

Good luck at AIB.

• Like Like x 1