Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

POC tips

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by EvenParasHaveHeroes, Dec 8, 2019.

1. EvenParasHaveHeroes

EvenParasHaveHeroes Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Good Morning all,

I recently had the pleasure of participating in a Potential Officer Course (01/12/19). Rather than bore you with an essay I hope to keep things concise and outline a few things that I had not accounted for in my preparations.

- Arrive before 7pm if you wish to have a meal in the officers mess and get to know the other candidates.

-Our accommodation was on the same corridor as the current YO's so valuable insight can be gained into YO training.

-When collecting the issued kit (especially clothing) give it a quick once over not so much to check the size but for damage as a large proportion is wreaked.

- The group performance on the BFT was extremely strong with almost all 17 candidates coming in between 8 and 9 minutes.

- When giving the group presentation try to do so without the assistance of notes. (same for lecturette)

- On Bottom field and the endurance course do not worry about getting wet and cold you'll be worked hard enough for it not to be an issue.

-Sounds slightly odd but practice crawling you'll spend long enough doing it for your preparation to pay off.

-Personally I found the drags and carries on the bottom field and endurance course the most physically arduous part of the whole course so prepare accordingly.

-Expect the endurance course to draw blood, your hands, elbows and knees will get shredded.

- Swimming on the 3rd day was taken in combat trousers and shirt and as such was more difficult then expected.

-Good information will be given on the AIB, tune in.

Finally try to have a good time and enjoy it in the way that strange individuals like ourselves do. Though at times the instructors will encourage a dog eat dog mindset my fellow candidates were a great guys and the whole POC was that bit easier due to a good team spirit which for the most part boiled down to pointing out others mistakes just before the instructors saw them.

Good luck on your own applications, I will endeavour to do my best answering any questions.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. anon1234

anon1234 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Firstly congrats! And couldn't agree more with your points mate...the carries/drags/crawls are grim.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Lawman

Lawman Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    This could also carry over to a prmc as well, all these tips here are relevant for both tests and are super handy, congratulations for passing. Good luck for the future.

• Like Like x 1