POC Training Diary Request & AIB feedback

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Guys, can we have some posts regarding your weekly training regimes when you get a chance please?

It would be handy to make a sticky of a few examples for those that follow. Likewise AIB feedback is always very welcome.

Ta!

2. Robfo

Robfo New Member

No problem.
    I'm training at the moment to keep myself at a good level of fitness but not injuring myself. I'm expecting a date for my POC within the next 4 weeks so I'll update my programme to show what it's like when i start to really push it.

So at the moment:

Monday : Weights session
    Bench press (wide and narrow grip), Tricep Push-Downs, Lat Pull-Downs, Weighted Rows, Bicep Curls, Leg Extentions and Leg Press.

Not sure on exact weights and reps vary from week to week. Mostly I'll be going for endurance, so 15+ reps but every now and again I throw in a strength session.

Tuesday: Circuit training
    Just a class at my local leisure centre. It's pretty good as you can make it as hard as you want but normally it's pretty bloody hard.

Wednesday: Rowing machine
    Normally I nip down to my local gym and do a 5 or 10k row. Gets the lungs going pretty well.

Thursday: Hill Sprints
    I go with my local running club along to a fairly steep hill near where I live. We go up by counting lamp posts, so one session could be 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. It's pretty tough but one of the most effective sessions in my week. Running with the group is very much recommended as it really helps you push yourself to keep up with some of the fitter runners there.

Friday: Gym session again
    Same as Monday

Saturday: Rest Day :)

Sunday: Long Run
    Sunday is the big day for me. I go with my training partner to a place called 'Beacon Hill' near me where we run a couple of routes, one 4 miles long the other two. They're both pretty steep with the 2 miler being the steeper. In total we do 14 miles around there at a fairly comfortable pace but it always leaves me in pieces by the time i get home.

Worth noting as well, I do a minimum of 100 press ups and 200 sit ups throughout the day to try and engrave them in my 'muscle memory'

That's my routine at the moment. I'm just waiting for my date before i don the walking boots and start cranking it all up a notch.

3. LAS920

LAS920 New Member

Here goes;
    Same as Rob, this is my current routine for ticking over and to fit in with my uni commitments, got my POC on the first week in June so ill update this as soon as I finish uni and begin really working at it.

Monday; 6 miles across moorland in boots and carrying 7kgs in the morning.

2 hour circuit session consisting of boxing orientated sets, with lots of leg work thrown in for good measure, in the evening.

Tuesday; 6 mile run. consists of 1.5 miles down to the local racecourse (York) then two laps around the course, using the furlong (200m) markers as intervals for jog>sprint>jog>sprint.... Roughly 1.5 miles around the full circuit. Then a steady 1.5 miles back home.

Wendesday; rest day

Thursday; 2 hour circuit session consisting of boxing orientated sets, with lots of leg work thrown in for good measure (same as monday)

Friday; 5-7 miles road run working at maintaining 7.30 min/mile for as long as possible.

Saturday; 1 hour gym circuits, like rob go at own pace, but it is bloody hard.

Sunday; 5-7 miles road run working at maintaining 7.30 min/mile for as long as possible.

Again, similiar to rob, 100-200 press and sits every day to make it the norm, but try to include at least 50% with 7kg weight on my back.

I intend to increase the amount of running in boots on the build up to POC, also planning on doing a couple of mammoth walks/yomps between now and then, 3 peaks on the 3rd May if anyone fancies it???

Hope this is what your looking for ninja!

Lee

4. Ninja_Stoker

Just the stuff, thanks, I've made it a sticky for those that follow.

5. LAS920

LAS920 New Member

Did you pass mate?

6. LAS920

LAS920 New Member

If you dont mind me askin mate, what did you fail on? and are you goin for it again?

7. Matt williams

Matt williams New Member

hey guys

I had my POC back in mid-Feb. This is the sort fo training i was doing week by week:

Monday: 6 miles followed by Pull ups, Press ups and Sit ups (PPSs)
    Tuesday: GYM session; About an hour on weights concentrating on core muscles, arms chest and back, and then an hour CV (stuck to low impact ie cross trainer)
    Wednesday: Swim
    Thursday: 12mile run and PPSs
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 6mile boot run and PPSs
    Sunday: Swim

I tried to do PPSs every day and after each training session, your going to be doing then when you are hanging so train so!
    If your going to be running in boots (which i would make sure you do before you go down) try to stick to the grass.
    Stick to the techniques for each exercise in the RMFA - my knees came apart when i was doing my sit ups and they cam eoff my count!

Lastly, you are goign to need to work in a team but they want to see your determination and drive so max out in everything and BE FIRST! (ever heard the expression 'it pays to be a winner'.

best of luck guys!

8. Ninja_Stoker

Latest AIB test advice

ADMIRALTY INTERVIEW BOARD (AIB)

The AIB will conduct the Psychometric and Service Knowledge testing for candidates using a computerised system, with a breakdown as follows:

SERVICE KNOWLEDGE TEST

Naval Service knowledge questions (80) and Defence Knowledge questions (20). Candidates will find that all the information required is freely available in the RN recruiting literature or the t'internet. Thorough study of the Official RN web-site and a good understanding of the down-loadable literature or hard copy literature available from your AFCO will provide most of the background information.

You will be given 25 minutes to complete the test which is in multiple choice format, your answers are marked as you progress. There will only be one correct answer for each question.

PSYCHOMETRIC TESTING

The psychometric testing for candidates will consist of the following elements :

o Verbal
    o Numerical
    o Abstract

Verbal Reasoning is a 15 minute test consisting of 40 questions

Numerical Reasoning is a 30 minute test consisting of 36 questions

Abstract Reasoning is a 12 minute test with 70 questions. Abstract Reasoning test provide a measure of reasoning which is only minimally influenced by verbal aptitude and formal educational background.

Scores from these three tests are combined into a Composite Test Score out of 15.

The practice test booklets will be given to you after passing your Sift interview, prior to POC. As the booklets are Copyright, they cannot be reproduced here until this site becomes part of the official RM website.

9. sb146564

sb146564 New Member

Hey guys, thought I would contribute to a good thread!
    Firstly, before any running or weights I concentrate on my core. This is your lower back, abdomen, obliques basically your mid section. Make sure your core is rock solid before training! A good core means a reduced chance of injuries. Using excercises such as sit-ups, penguin shuffles (Touching the floor with just your bum, move along the floor using stomach muscles.) Angel raises (lying flat on your stomach, raise your arms and legs off the floor for 15 seconds and relax for 10) To stretch this off, get onto knees, stretch the arms in front of you and onto the floor and arch your back. You will know other core building excercises so use them! They wil prevent injury.

Don't overtrain: You can do more damage then good, Make sure you have your rest days!

Make sure you eat properly!: I go through 5kg of pasta a week during training, aswell as breakfast lunch and dinner!

Keep Hydrated! Am not teaching grannies to suck eggs here but a lot of people don't perform because they don't realise they de-hydrated. Drink plenty of water

Training: Train when you can, remember to rest though. E.g. Running, 3 milers, 6 milers, 9 milers, best efforts, Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, burpees, DIPS! I haven't seen anyone mention tricep dips. They really help arm strength!

Pull ups wide grip, also for increased grip power, wrap two towels around and try doing thpull ups holding onto the towels!

Hope this was a little bit useful.
    Ste

10. Greenlees

Greenlees New Member

Hello everyone, since my POC is next week (8th December, anyone else here going?) I thought I'd give you my training schedule which has unfortunately been disrupted by injury and illness in the last 3 weeks or so. Always the way. I'm currently a recruit in the RMR so I factor that into my training:

Monday:

3 sets of 7 pull-ups. That's as many as I can do at the moment.
    5 reps on the bench press (60kg weight) followed immediately by 10 press-ups. 3 sets.
    10 knee lifts while suspended followed immediately by 10 full leg lifts. 3 sets.
    3 sets of 50 sit-ups.
    10 tricep dips. 3 sets.
    10 overhead lifts with 10kg weights. 3 sets.
    10 squats with 80kg weight followed by 20 without weight supersets. 3 sets.

Total training time: 1 hour

Tuesday:

5km run to be completed in best time (my best is currently 18 minutes)

Wednesday:

Circuits with the RMR - 20m rope climb followed by 20 press-ups superset. 3 sets. Farmer's walk with 20kg weight. Upside-down vaulting horse to be pushed back and forth across the gym. Plenty of sprints as well. Warm down usually involves bear and leopard crawls. I cannot tell you enough how killer leopard crawls are when you're knackered, you might want to start throwing those into your training, assuming you don't mind looking like a complete idiot in your local park.

Thursday:

6 mile run to be completed in 40 minutes

Friday:

As Monday

Saturday and Sunday

Both rest, perhaps a 2km swim if I have time.

I also do one weekend a month in the field with the RMR, and that usually has all sorts of fun. 8-mile yomps with full kit, 4-mile speed marches with webbing and rifle and all sorts of beastings in between. DO NOT DO THESE AS PART OF YOUR TRAINING. The yomping and speed marches will wreck your feet, that's where I picked up an ankle injury and my training was down to twice a week for 3 weeks. Save that sort of thing for actual training. However, I do recommend you head down to your local RMR unit and train with the holding troop, as that will flag up any areas you have neglected in your training.

Here is some advice I picked up from the officers in the RMR:

Obtain a pair of combat boots and go walking in them everywhere you go. Wear them to uni/work/college, wear them out everywhere. Don't run in them more than once a week and stick to shorter distances if you do, but make sure you get used to wearing heavy footwear instead of trainers. If you condition your legs to operate when wearing boots, then the risk of shinsplints and other nuisances will be minimised.

Above all, remember that they're looking for *potential*, and that means giving it your all and crawling across the finish line if you have to. I realise the difficulty of the POC is a lot higher than the PRMC, but one of the lads in my Reserves PRMC managed to pass despite failing the 3-miler because he just went balls-out and showed enough grit to prove he had enough determination to overcome his poor running. That, and his RMFA scores were ok :P

11. Ninja_Stoker

Welcome to the site Greenlees, a good diary.

Best of luck on POC - please let us know how it goes.

12. benedict

benedict New Member

I've Just started training, here's what I do so far, please bear in mind that this will change and increase as you get fitter, but it's a starting point and the times spent at the gym arn't too daunting:

Monday: Weight/Muscle Workout 45 min
    Tuesday: Run 45 min
    Wednesday: Weight/Muscle Workout 45 min
    Thurday: Run 45 min
    Friday:Weight/Muscle Workout 45 min
    Saturday: Run 45 min
    Sunday: Weight/Muscle Workout 45 min

This program enables me to workout everyday and gives each 'muscle group' 48 hours to recover. When I run I usually use HIIT for 40-45 mins:

1 min 10.5 k.p.h
    1 min 14.5 k.p.h
    1 min 18-20 k.ph
    1 min 14.5 k.p.h
    1 min 18-20 k.p.h

I then take 1 min break. and do this x 10. Before I was doing about 13 k.p.h for 40 mins, however this HIIT exercise pushes you alot more and from what I'm told is better for your fitness. Every week I'll throw in a 40 min run adding 0.2 k.p.h each time, i.e; 13.0-13.2-13.4-13.6 up to 15.5 with incline of 4 on the running machines. It is better to practice outdoors on downhill and uphill enviroments however my fitness/confidence isn't great and I have a couple of injuries which I want to moniter closely.

I use a great weight regime called StrongLifts I advise you go visit the site and download the ebook, it's very informative (I've started on the beginner one to get my form right). Although it advise you not to add any exercises on I can't help throw a couple of crunhes in on the last set.

Make sure you get a healty diet - lots of protiens, cut out carbs watch calories - and try not to drink!

If you feel you can't do the speeds given then tone it down, I've just come back from injury myself and I started on around 8.0 k.p.h!

I don't know much about this stuff except what I've read, I hope this helps. If anyone wants to give me any tips or tell me where I can improve/misinformed , please do. Goodluck!

Cheers.

Edit: Take a 1 min break between weight sets, even more if you feel that tired.

13. Raz3R

Raz3R New Member

That's pretty much what I'm doing for starters. Don't want to get an injury. I'll be adding pull ups, tricep dips, and a skipping rope soon. I need to get a pull up bar from somewhere.

I'm going for 2010 entry and aiming to do the POC early next year. That
    gives me 9+ months to build up my fitness.

For diet, I'm just eating a balanced diet. Porridge in the morning, plenty of fruit throughout the day, pasta or sandwiches for lunch, and a big dinner.

Monday
    AM: 45 min run
    PM : press ups and sit ups

Tuesday
    AM: 1 hour swim (breast stroke)
    PM: press ups and sit ups

Wednesday

Thursday

AM: 1 hour swim (breast stroke)

Friday

Rest

Saturday

Sunday

Rest

14. Death-Oar-Glory

Death-Oar-Glory Member

Are you joking when you say 'Cut out carbs'!? They're the most important part of your diet, especially if you're training! How do you expect to be able to train hard when all your burning is any fat you have!? Plus, if you're like me, and a young'un with very little body fat, trying to gain weight, protein is important yes, but without carb, you just keep burning off anything you try and gain!

15. Andy6001

Andy6001 New Member

I'm booked in for a recruitment test on 10th Feb and I'm currently in my 6th week of training.

I started training middle of December, a bit late I know, but because of my age (25 in two months) the AFCO at my local recruitment centre said that this year was my only shot so I'm going for the 2011 intake with POC sometime in the next 3 months!

I'm following the suggested routine on the RM website (roughly) but that may change shortly as my cv fitness is progressing nicely but I'm struggling with press-ups and sit-ups (but weirdly not pull-ups).

My routine looks like;

Monday
    AM 45 min run
    PM Circuit

Tuesday
    AM 35 min swim
    PM Circuit (RMFA exercises only) - 5 a-side football also

Wednesday
    AM Short run (best effort)
    PM Circuit

Rest Thursday

Friday
    AM 45 min run (fartlek)
    PM Circuit

Saturday
    AM 35 min swim
    PM Circuit (RMFA exercises only)

Rest Sunday

Diet: - Lots of pasta/rice/banana's and amongst an otherwise balanced diet.

I found that after about 2-3 weeks I could run for 45 mins non stop. As I increased my runs further I started to get knee and shin pains. I've found that limiting my runs to 45 minutes (running about 6 miles in this time) and concentrating on increasing resistance i.e. tracksuit bottoms and rugby shirt instead of shorts and t-shirt, running off road, up hills or even just making a point of running on grass instead of tarmac where available, has really increased the difficulty of my runs without increasing time/distance and therefore risking injury. After all, I'm pretty sure there's not much flat, tarmac running during a POC!

I've got maybe 3 months left to get ready for a POC (presuming I get that far) and I'm getting worried by the lack of progress with press-ups. Currently maxing out at 28 with the correct form for POC!

This thread is quite old now but I'll keep my diary up to date anyway, who knows, someone might find it useful.

16. Pock

Pock Royal Marines Commando

Your training plan looks incredibly similar to mine! I'm also going for POC this year and still have a lot of progress to make.

Like you, my press ups are my weakest area, but I'm concentrating on them the most until they are up to standard. At the moment it's just a case of whenever I have a spare minute or so I do as many as I can, with the aim to get as many reps in a day as possible.

Good luck.

17. Jonno995

Jonno995 New Member

I'm currently about 2 weeks away from my PJFT, but have been told to expect a POC in the next 2-3 months. I?m currently having trouble with my knee and shins so I?m taking the running a bit easier then set out below at the moment.

My current routine is;

Monday
    PJFT practice run; current return time of 9.20. Followed by 3 X 10 sets of Squats, Lunges and Leg Curls. Finishing with a Tabata session on the bike (painful!) and then a 2 mile slow warm down run

Tuesday
    1 mile swim best effort

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Circuit session at the gym, full body workout with some honking core exercises. This is then followed by hill sprints

Friday
    7 mile run

Saturday
    An hour and a half of squash followed by an hour weights session focusing on chest, back and core, and then a 2 mile light run home

Sunday
    6 mile interval style run

I'm also trying to get into the habit of bashing out 200 situps/150 pressups a day to keep my upper body ticking over but I only really need to up these by about ten reps each before POC.

18. bobel95

bobel95 New Member

Sorry a tad late...

Monday- 1.5 hours boxing at local club (mainly endurance, local muscular endurance work, skipping, bagwork and end of the night sparring.)

Tuesday - Gym after school ( Bodybuilding program ... Low reps lift to fatigue). Session...1 hour (shoulders and biceps)

Wednesday - Gym ( Legs and triceps) bodybuilding again.

Thursday - Gym ( Back and Triceps) bodybuilding again.

Friday - Short boxing session ( Intense and mainly technique work)

Saturday - Gym( intense chest and bicep ) both bodybuilding

Sunday - Morning Jog and REST!

19. JordanBolland

JordanBolland New Member

Monday
    AM - CROSSFIT
    PM -
    Tuesday
    AM - 10 mile cycle, 1km Swimming
    PM - 10 mile cycle, CROSSFIT
    Wednesday
    AM - Weight training
    PM - CROSSFIT
    Thursday
    AM - 10 mile cycle, 4x400m rowing
    PM - 10 mile cycle,CROSSFIT
    Friday
    AM - 10 mile cycle, 1km Swimming
    PM - 10 mile Cycle,CROSSFIT
    Saturday
    AM - Riding with the GB Team (Cycling)
    PM
    Sunday
    AM - Well deserved rest day
    PM

Really need to start running ahah, can still run a 8:23 in the run back, shows how much cycling does...

20. NBK

NBK New Member

Heres what I've done this week, the schedule will be developed, should I actually make it to POC. I have taken time out of work as a Hod Carrier to push my fitness up a notch. I found my Knee was packing in when trying to both work and train, just too much impact and stress on the joint, last thing I want is a deabilitating injury that affects both my means of income and getting to POC. I haven't been weight training in almost two years, so taking it easy.

Monday

3 mile run best effort
    Rep Tally:
    -65 Push ups (Target 100)
    -125 Situps (Target 200)
    -25 Burpees (Target 50)
    -40 Squats (Target 100)
    -20 Pull Ups (Target 50)

Tuesday

5km ergometer (rower): 21.30

Weights:
    Bench 50 kg x 10reps 2 sets
    Not sure what the counter balance move after the bench press is called but I did 22kg 10reps 2 sets each arm
    Squat 50 kg x 10 reps 2 sets
    (one where you push the dumb bells up into the air, keeping back straight) 9kg 20 reps
    (one where you lay flat, and move dumb bells past you head and infront of you) 9kg 20reps

Swim:
    200m breast stroke
    Dynamic no fins, 2-3 lengths (25metres), best effort about 30m

Wensday

9.6km Treadmill run, Tabata style, varying gradient
    Weights: 50 kg bench, 10 reps, 10 push ups immediately after (copied from this thread :laugh: )
    Swim 400m breast stroke, 100 front crawl, DNF

Thursday

Spin class 45 mins, sprints, hovers and standing climbs

Weights: Squat 50 kg, 10 reps 2 sets

20 pull ups, 5 leg raises, 50 sit ups, 50 pressups

Swim: As wensday

Friday

3 mile 2degree gradient

2.4 out, managed to hold it 12km/hour
    2.4 return, barely managed to hold it at 12km/hour, worried now, sprinted at 15.5 for about 400m towards the end, thats bloody hard going.

pull ups, 8 best effort, round off to 10 and add another 7,

5 leg raises

Weights: mixing up wensday & tuesdays session

80 sit ups

Swim: As wensday; DNF PB 37m

PJFT coming up soon, I hope.