POC Training Diary Request & AIB feedback

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 3, 2008.

1. JAMBO2511

JAMBO2511 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    I know what you mean! I wonder why they changed it... and I've now started using Sean Lerwill's videos as well as his gainers programme to improve each exercise.

I'm currently waiting for my medical date, are you looking to get on the 2015 YO batch then?

• Like Like x 1
  2. MusserGoat

MusserGoat Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    @LUKEJAMBO Yeah Sean Lerwill's stuff is good. Tbf it is a better test, puts everyone on a level playing field as well as making it easier for the PTI's to count the reps and judge the form more clearly.

Sweet, yes 100%, I gather you are too?

3. JAMBO2511

JAMBO2511 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Yeah I totally agree and it seperates the Royal Marines from the Army in terms of the fitness levels you need to be at!

Good stuff and yeah I'm hoping for 2015 batch as well.

4. Winters

Winters New Member

New to this forum, Wouldn't mind some critique and criticism.

I am 180 cm tall, weigh 79 kg, With my weight training I try to work both volume at lighter weights for muscular endurance and low reps at high weight for strength, mostly with a focus on compound barbell movements. For cardiovascular fitness I train back to back martial arts classes at a MMA gym, run, cycle and use High intensity interval circuits. This makes me eat like a horse.

My weekly plan is as follows;

Monday

AM:

Squats
    60kg x 12
    80kg x 12
    100kg x 8
    120kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    100kg - to failure
    80kg - to failure
    60kg - to failure

Hack squat
    80kg 5x5

Leg curl
    70kg 5x5

Leg extension
    80kg 5x5

Three rounds of a circuit consisting of;
    25m lunge walk with 30kg barbell
    10 x deep squat with 30 kg barbell
    10 x box jump to 80 cm
    10 x single leg squats (left)
    10 x single leg squats (right)

PM
    2km cycle to martial arts gym
    1 hour Wresting training (usually with 20-30 mins dedicated to full contact sparring)
    1 hour Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training (usually with 20-30 mins dedicated to full contact sparring)
    1 hour K1 style Kickboxing training
    2km cycle home

Tuesday

Pull Ups- 5 sets of 10

Dead-lifts

60 kg x 25
    80 kg x 20
    100kg x 10
    140 kg x 10
    160 kg x 5
    170 kg x 3
    170 kg x 3
    160 kg x 5
    140 kg x 5
    100 kg - to failure
    80 kg - to failure
    60 kg - to failure
    40 kg - to failure
    20 kg - to failure
    (last five sets completed with zero rest periods)

Barbell Row - 60kg 5 sets of 15

Lat pulldown - 70kg 5 sets of 10

Single arm dumbbell row - 3 x failure drop sets (starting with 8 reps at 38 kgs and dropping by 4-6kg each time proper form is lost or a a rep is failed)

Preacher Curl 3 x failure drop sets (starting with 10 reps at 75 kgs and dropping by 4-6kg each time proper form is lost or a a rep is failed)

PM
    1 hour Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training (usually with 20-30 mins dedicated to full contact sparring)
    2km cycle home

Wednesday

AM
    2km run to Martial arts Gym
    2km run home

PM

Bench press
    40kg x 20
    60kg x 20
    70 kg x 10
    80 kg x 8
    90 kg x 4
    100 kg x 2
    100 kg x 2
    80 kg x 6
    60 kg x 15
    40 kg - to failure

Clean and press
    40kg x 10
    40 kg x 10
    50kg x 10
    60 kg x 5
    70 kg x 2
    70 kg x 2
    60 kg x 5
    50 kg - to failure
    40 kg - to failure
    30 kg - to failure
    20 kg - to failure

Cable fly (between 30 and 50 kg)
    Low 3 x 10
    low middle 3 x 10
    middle 3 x 10
    high middle 3 x 10
    high 3 x 10

Press ups - 3x 2min maimum effort

free hanging triceps dip - 5 x 10

Kickboxing circuit consisting of three rounds of five minuets with no more than 30 seconds rest in between.
    Round 1
    1 min skipping
    1 min alternating thai kicks to pads
    1 min straight punches to pads
    1 min skipping knees to pads
    1 min sprawl knees (hips and chest flat on ground explosive movement throwing a knee to a pad no less than 5 feet above the ground)

Round 2
    1 min skipping
    1 min explosive striking combo (flying cross, step through knee, roundhouse head kick)
    1 min hooks to pads
    1 min sprawl knees (hips and chest flat on ground explosive movement throwing a knee to a pad no less than 5 feet above the ground)

Round 3
    1 min skipping
    1 min uppercuts to pads

Thursday

AM:

Squats
    60kg x 12
    80kg x 12
    100kg x 8
    120kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    100kg - to failure
    80kg - to failure
    60kg - to failure

Hack squat
    80kg 5x5

Leg curl
    70kg 5x5

Leg extension
    80kg 5x5

Three rounds of a circuit consisting of;
    25m lunge walk with 30kg barbell
    10 x deep squat with 30 kg barbell
    10 x box jump to 80 cm
    10 x single leg squats (left)
    10 x single leg squats (right)

PM
    1 hour Wresting training (usually with 20-30 mins dedicated to full contact sparring)
    2km cycle home

Friday

AM

8 km run

PM

Pull Ups- 5 sets of 10

Dead-lifts

60 kg x 25
    80 kg x 20
    100kg x 10
    140 kg x 10
    160 kg x 5
    170 kg x 3
    170 kg x 3
    160 kg x 5
    140 kg x 5
    100 kg - to failure
    80 kg - to failure
    60 kg - to failure
    40 kg - to failure
    20 kg - to failure
    (last five sets completed with zero rest periods)

Barbell Row - 60kg 5 sets of 15

Lat pulldown - 70kg 5 sets of 10

Single arm dumbbell row - 3 x failure drop sets (starting with 8 reps at 38 kgs and dropping by 4-6kg each time proper form is lost or a a rep is failed)

Preacher Curl 3 x failure drop sets (starting with 10 reps at 75 kgs and dropping by 4-6kg each time proper form is lost or a a rep is failed)

Kickboxing circuit consisting of three rounds of five minuets with no more than 30 seconds rest in between.
    Round 1
    1 min skipping
    1 min straight punches to pads

Round 2
    1 min skipping
    1 min explosive striking combo (flying cross, step through knee, roundhouse head kick)
    1 min hooks to pads

Round 3
    1 min skipping
    1 min uppercuts to pads

Saturday

AM
    1 hour MMA sparring
    2km cycle home

PM

Bench press
    40kg x 20
    60kg x 20
    70 kg x 10
    80 kg x 8
    90 kg x 4
    100 kg x 2
    100 kg x 2
    80 kg x 6
    60 kg x 15
    40 kg - to failure

Clean and press
    40kg x 10
    40 kg x 10
    50kg x 10
    60 kg x 5
    70 kg x 2
    70 kg x 2
    60 kg x 5
    50 kg - to failure
    40 kg - to failure
    30 kg - to failure
    20 kg - to failure

Cable fly (between 30 and 50 kg)
    Low 3 x 10
    low middle 3 x 10
    middle 3 x 10
    high middle 3 x 10
    high 3 x 10

Press ups - 3x 2min maimum effort

free hanging triceps dip - 5 x 10

Sunday

Rest day and weekly meal prep.

Diet
    I only eat refined sugars, fats or carbohydrates if I am out with friends, and even then try to choose healthier options.
    mostly my diet consists of fresh fruit vegetables meat, milk and eggs, I eat a great deal of chickpeas, brown rice and oats. I snack on nuts and fruit. I do not smoke and drink very infrequently.

5. fckdandbombed

fckdandbombed Active Member

probably a bit more running and a bit less weights would be a good idea

6. Winters

Winters New Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll work it in.

7. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

There's a big thread somewhere on here about training in a goal specific way, such as if you want to get good at drags, then do drags. I agree with that mindset completely, of course the other things will ultimately make you fitter and stronger, but at your POC or PRMC you won't be doing preacher curls at the end of the day. Get hill sprints, runs, drags and crawls in there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  9. hug0Lvr

hug0Lvr New Member

Hi all,

I am new to this forum as I have recently started on the path towards the 2016 Officer selection. I have however just graduated with a degree in Exercise & Nutrition Sciences and I spent a significant portion of each day researching the current literature in this field. Given this I thought it might be useful if I put down how I am approaching my training and nutrition and give some tips for others.

Firstly I will start by demonstrating a standard weekly plan which will aim to cover all areas in which a marine is required to perform well e.g. swimming, bleep test, body weight exercises, running etc. I will also add notes giving information on how to adjust this plan for your needs.

Secondly I will go into some further details which have mostly been highlighted in the training recommendations made by the navy however which are not elaborated on. This includes:
    Training Frequency - How much is optimal without over-training
    Rest days - Frequency and importance
    Food Choices - Calorie and Nutrient recommendations, potential supplements etc
    Sleep - How much and importance

1) Exercise plan:

People who train habitually (structured, continuous training) have be found to show more improved performance than those who do not. With this in mind I recommend you get yourself a plan to follow.

Please note that the following is an example for an individual who is very fit. If you are just starting training and cannot achieve the given distances then start lower and work your way up!

Week Plan

Monday - Medium Intensity

A.M. Long Run (8+ Miles)

P.M. Heavy Gym *see HEAVY GYM workout details below

Tuesday - Rest Day

Wednesday - Hard Day 1

A.M./P.M Bleep Test Best Effort

Thursday - Low Intensity Day

A.M. Medium run (4-8 Miles @ ~80% usual pace)
    OR/ALTERNATE WEEKLY WITH
    Swim (25-50 Lengths Breast Stroke at a steady speed)

P.M. Light Gym * see LIGHT GYM workout details below

Friday - Rest Day

Saturday - Hard day 2

a.m. PJFT Best Effort

p.m. Body Weight Circuit * See BODY WEIGHT CIRCUIT details below

Sunday - Rest day

Workout Details:

Heavy Gym (2 minutes rest between sets):
    Week 1: Week 2:
    Squat/Leg Press - 4 sets 4-6 reps Deadlift - 4 sets 4-6 reps
    Bench Press - 4 sets 4-6 reps Military Press - 4 sets 4-6 reps
    Barbell Row - 3 sets 6-8 reps Weighted Chin Up - 3 sets 6-8 reps
    Barbell Bridges - 3 sets 6-10 reps Barbell Bridges - 3 sets 6-10 reps
    Pull Up - 3 sets @ 90% max reps Pull Up - 3 sets @ 90% max reps
    Marine Press up - 3 sets @ 90% Marine Press up - 3 sets @ 90%

Light Gym (1 minute rest between sets):
    Week 1: Week 2:
    Barbell Lunges - 3 sets 15-20 reps Barbell Squat - 3 sets 15-20 reps
    Dorsal raises - 3 sets 15-20 reps Plank - 3 sets 30+ Seconds
    Optional 1 - 3 sets 15-20 reps Optional 1 - 3 sets 15-20 reps
    Optional 2 - 3 sets 6-10 reps Optional 2 - 3 sets 15-20 reps
    Pull Up - 3 sets @ 90% max reps Pull Up - 3 sets @ 90% max reps
    Marine Press up - 3 sets @ 90% Marine Press up - 3 sets @ 90%
    Sit Ups - 3 sets - reps in 1 min Sit Ups - 3 sets - reps in 1 min

Body Weight Circuit (best time):
    3-5 rounds 10 reps of each exercise
    1 round consists of:
    Military Push Ups
    Pull Ups
    Chest Dips
    Hanging leg raises
    Shoulder Push Ups
    Squat Jumps

2) Adapting The Plan To Your Needs

Provided you give yourself the appropriate time to prepare this programme should be sufficient for anyone looking to achieve the fitness required for the Royal Marines. If however you are like me and you struggle with an aspect of the training (for me it's running) or you have very little time to prepare then i suggest you adapt the programme to focus on your weak areas.

Bad at running but have good strength: Take out the Heavy Gym day and replace with a running session.

Bad strength but a good runner: Take out the Saturday PJFT running session and replace with a gym workout with emphasis upon pull ups, press ups, sit-ups (a variation of the Light Gym session would be good).

This is very basic but it will help do the trick.

3) Further Details

Rest Days/Recovery/Sleep:
    Rest days are essential, especially when you are training frequently at high intensities and with a lot of volume (quantity of exercise being performed). Rest days will maximise your recovery, keep hormone levels normal (testosterone, cortisol, thyroid etc) which are negatively effected when you over-train. This will ensure your performance is optimal throughout your training!

Note that the rest days in the plan provided are BEFORE the hardest training days and AFTER the days where you train twice! This is important for the reasons stated above!

If bored/restless then go on a 30 minute walk on rest days but no more - not even press ups/pull ups at home. Rest mean rest!!

Aim to get around 8 hours of good quality sleep every night.

Training Frequency:
    I recommend you train no more than 2 days in a row without a rest day, especially if you are training near a maximum intensity (failure) on those days or if you are training twice a day. This is in order to prevent hormone imbalances (as mentioned in the previous section) and therefore insure your best performance consistently.

Food Choices:
    General advice:
    The majority (90%) of your foods should come from health food sources. Plenty of good carbs (potato, pasta, rice, lentils), protein (eggs, fish, red and white meat, milk) and fats (nuts, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, nut butters, cheese).

Keep protein and carb intake fairly high in order to maximise your recovery and performance.

Do not restrict yourself too much from 'junk food' though especially if you are feeling stressed from the training or your lifestyle as this will just add to that feeling. Just ensure you are eating mainly healthy food.

Before and After Workout Meals:
    Eat good quality sources of protein and carbohydrates 1-2 hours before your workout. I like to have a coffee pre-workout to keep myself focused.

Again, good quality protein and carbs within 1 hour after your workout finishes (this improves recovery time and muscle protein development than if you wait longer).

Supplements:
    - Whey Protein (normal stuff not Mass Gainer or Diet options). Have a scoop after your workouts and also one before you go to sleep.
    - Cod Liver Oil (2 a day) Provides healthy sources of fat
    - Multivitamin. Nothing fancy just a bog standard brand (e.g. ASDA, tesco etc). The difference between cheap and expensive ones is not worth the money.

*text deleted**text deleted*Advice On Changing Your Weight*text deleted**text deleted*:
    When you are exercising a lot you should not try to diet too hard as this will seriously mess up your hormones, performance and when you eventually start to eat everything you see (because you will fail a hard diet with this type of training) you will put on A LOT of fat quickly.

If you wish to lose weight then I advise you track your weight for a week twice a day whilst doing your training programme. If your weight is decreasing then don't change anything. If it is not going down then you should eat SLIGHTLY less. Your protein requirement INCREASES when you are losing weight in order to maintain muscle mass so I recommend cutting down on carbohydrates and fat depending on which is the most disproportionate high.

if you wish to gain weight then you must eat more food, it is that simple. I saw one person recommend drinking a gallon of milk a day (GOMAD) but this is bad advice as that is 4000 calories of milk a day on top of what you are already eating which is way too excessive. However drinking more milk itself is not a bad suggestion. Also i recommend trying to increase calories with healthy food sources mainly consisting of protein and good carbohydrate sources and not from saturated fat sources. NOTE - saturated fat is not bad in excess so I am not saying avoid it, just do not overly consume it especially as a large source of calories when trying to gain weight.

I Hope this helps people who are looking for a training programme to follow in their preparation. If you have any questions i will happily answer them.

Hugo

• Like Like x 2
  10. Pumber21

Pumber21 Matelot

Hi mate think you might have a slight typo? Just near the end you say 'saturated fat is not bad in excess', surely you mean unsaturated?

11. hug0Lvr

hug0Lvr New Member

You are right that is a typo but it was supposed to say 'in moderation' rather than 'in excess'.

I'll just clear up any confusion this might have caused.

Saturated fat is okay to eat in moderation from good food sources such as red meat, eggs and milk. However as you said Pumber21, most of your fats should come from unsaturated sources such as olive oil, nuts, avocados and fish oil.

The national guidelines are slightly low on their recommendations for saturated fat intake because those guidelines need to accommodate an entire population which contains many unhealthy individuals and a population trending towards a more obesity. For young, fit RM's and Potential RM's it is not as much of a concern, nevertheless it is best to monitor your daily intake.

Thanks for pointing that out!

12. hug0Lvr

hug0Lvr New Member

Hoping someone can clear up a query I have with the POC gym tests

In a resource given to me by my AFCO it says that the press up, sit up and pull up tests are to be performed as a 'best attempt in x amount of time'.

Does this mean you can stop mid-way through and then continue for the given time or must these movements be without a pause?

13. Frazzle

Frazzle New Member

I was told by my ACLO, during my POC brief, that all sections of the gym test are done to a bleep. This means no rest and a constant pace that must be followed thoughout.

14. hug0Lvr

hug0Lvr New Member

Yeah I downloaded the YouTube test videos and I have been training to the bleeps, however the bleeps are continuous through the allotted time and I was wondering whether if you stopped at any point you would be able to re-start.

It is more a curiosity and I imagine you are right though if you can do say 20 push up, 5 seconds rest, another 20 push etc you will do more than if you try to do 40 continuous push ups (provided you struggle to do them continuously in the time allowed).

15. glos94

glos94 Active Member

That's right, as soon as you miss a bleep or your form goes to sh*t, you will be told to stop.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bluenosebob

bluenosebob New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    hey guys, this is what my training looks like:
    it runs in 4 week blocks, at 75% 85% 95% (of 1rm) for the lifts. runs are all done at 2% incline, or outside.

week 1

day 1
    10km run
    5x20 press ups
    5x30 sit ups
    5x10 pull ups (on beam not bar)
    increase reps by 5 per week.

day 2
    5x(4:4) at 17kmph (thats 4mins on 4mins off)
    squat 5x5(+) at 75% with the last set AMRAP
    bench 5x5(+) @75% ''
    lunges 4x12 @45kg
    Bent over row= bench weight 4x8
    roll outs 4x12

day 3
    stretch

day 4
    30min swim
    4x2min tread water

day 5
    10x(1:1), thats 1min on 1 min off @20kmph
    5x5 DeadLoft(+) 75%
    5x5(+) shoulder press 75%
    Staight Leg Dead Lift (SLDL) 4x12 60kg
    Glute Ham Raises (GHR) 4x8 (single leg) 20kg
    Leg Raises 4x12

day 6
    45min cycle
    stretch

day 7
    stretch

*note that the weights for the next week will follow 5x3(+)@85% then 5x1(+)@ 95% de-loading on week 4 back to 75%