Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

POC Whilst At Uni

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Flipper23, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Flipper23

Flipper23 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've just recently completed my second year of university and I am inquiring into whether it will be possible to apply to become an officer whilst still studying in my third year?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A university degree is not a requirement for Officer entry. But take a look at the post below to check if you have the required UCAS points:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/ucas-calculator.99238/

At your stated age of twenty there is no reason why you should not begin the application process. There is only one Royal Marines Young Officer intake of about fifty plus YOs annually, starting in September.

3. Flipper23

Flipper23 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers for that......I think I am going to apply for the September 2020 intake so that I can begin training once my degree has finished. I do not want to spend a year out waiting or doing something that I am not 100% into.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The advice from Careers Advisers on here (I'm not one) is to start the application process earlier rather than later. Aside from POC and AIB scheduling delays can occur with medical examinations and security clearance, etc.
    A candidate for the 2020 Batch who doesn't begin the application process until early 2020 is chancing it that everything will go smoothly.

5. boarder34

boarder34 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Start your app early - I did and even so, I missed out on the batch this year because I was held up at the medical stage for too long. Make sure you don't lose fitness at uni either, v easy to do.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheRents

TheRents Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I would look at starting now. It is not a quick process.

If you have finals to take spring 2020 I doubt you would want to be also trying to study/schedule for a POC and AIB.

Don't think of it as a year wasted! However fit you are - get fitter. However good you think you are at map reading - get better. Go and get cold and wet and knackered, then go out and get colder and wetter and more knackered. However hard you think it will be, it will be 100 times harder.
    If you can't wait a year then honestly you don't want this job enough-the YO training is not a sprint it is an ultra marathon (one where people move the signs, tie your laces together and trip you up). Be prepared to fail because you will fail - it is not how far you fall but how high you bounce that counts;)

If you are a sandwich short of a picnic and think this all sounds bloody great, it is!

Make the call!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1