point in cycling?

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
does anybody actually go cycling? and does it help you with your running because i just dont see the point it

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I used to cycle about 15-20 miles. It sort of helps your muscular endurance in your legs but I dont think you benefit much from it. Its quite easy *text deleted* and I tried the hardest routes. Id stick to running myself.

Danny111

Reaction score
i suppuse it would help with you cardio fitness and its a low impact exersise so it will take some strain off of your legs

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i only cycle 1 time a week 14 miles the course i take is actually very hard alot of up hill and some are very steep but it dosnt fell as hard as running so yeah i dont really do it as much as i run and stuff but it probs dose help a bit

lukey boy 91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i suppose you could go on a cycle when your legs are hurting and you cant run

crisss16

Reaction score
Course it would help, all depends on how much your pushing yourself, and which kinda biking your doing, and to be doing it when your legs are sore:blink1: whats the point in that as you wouldn't be pushing yourself. To get the benefit out of most sports, you have to push yourself, in which in return you'd help your fitness. People that say biking is easy and could do it when other body parts are sore are obviously doing pus*y trails and rides *text deleted*:bigsmile:

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't think it helps, you're not cycling intensely enough.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Cycling is great trust me.

First of all it is a low intensity exercise, so it does not put as much pressure on your joints and allows recovery of muscles, and doesn't knacker you out. Good if you've got an injury and don't want to aggravate it.

I also think of it as maintenance fizz, if I am only running 3 or 4 days a week, any other days I will be doing cycling (low intensity), not counting rest days. It's maintenance because it still raises your heat rate and oxygen intake, but does not tax your aerobic capacity, but not enough to tire you like running will.

This can also be a good 'warm up' before a big run. A light session of cycling after some rest days to stretch my muscles (and lungs), then the day after blast out a hard running session. Not to mention it burns calories and as a slow exercise is better at burning fat than running.