Police Fitness

Eyebrows

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Was just having a look around about bleep test scores and came across this.
http://www.police-recruitment.co.uk/police_fitness_test.html

I thought that 8.1 was a low score but now they've lowered it to 5.4!!

A high proportion of females were failing to reach 8.1, this was deemed as discriminatory so they had to make it easier. :doh:

Seems a bit daft to me.

Gump

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
well im going to start a new career in "snatch and run"

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
5.4 , that is ridiculous!
I could probably crawl that!

Eyebrows

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It is a joke. Back in secondary school we had to do one and I got about 11. I did rugby training once a week and thats it.

I don't see how it's discriminatory, if the women wanted it enough they could put the miles in before it.

DPS

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I did it for the Special Constabulary. The fitness for the Police is ridiculous. It doesn't inspire confidence in the abilities of our bobbies.

Not fitness related but when I was being put in cuffs they told me to stop struggling so much :| Yeah just like the crims would. I also nearly killed a women in training by putting cuffs on her and all I did was bring her arm round her back.

Wilke

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think all police officers should be ?ber fit crime fighters but representative of the population in society.

From some random police site

City police officers and detectives are on the front line of law enforcement in the communities they serve. Uniformed city police officers are highly visible, which is a critical component for keeping the peace. They maintain routine patrols, respond to crisis calls, make traffic stops, intervene in disputes, and build relationships with members of the community. City police officers account for nearly 80 percent of all law enforcement personnel in the nation

Of course, when it comes to units that's work is being ?ber fit crime fighters(don't know English unit is but like, SWAT) I think demands should be same for all.

Kentish

Reaction score
Many a time I've witnessed police struggling and even failing to restrain someone, luckily they then find a 18 stone doormen "gently lowering them to the floor" to assist the police.

Saying that, I've also witnessed one Officer chase a car on foot and drag the guy out after catching him. Win.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe the criminal world will now lower it's own standards accordingly... thought not.

Minimum standards are there for a reason, lowering them is incomprehensible.

Eyebrows

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think they should be uber fit either. Just fit. I think the previous 8.1 standard was sort of acceptable. The 5.4 is pretty useless.

Chased down a car. Sure you were'nt watching robocop?

JamieC

Reaction score
I'm doing a pulic services course at college, about four of the others are wanting to be coppers, and their attitudes twards it are appauling. The kind of people who wouldn't even get into the AFCO! And I honestly think it's because the standards of entry are so low. Rule out the spending cuts and reduced intakes and there's nothing to stop them getting in, the standards are terrible.

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Personally i think that the police fitness requirements should be on par with the army, although they are not military they should still treat it as important. I mean some of the stuff some police have to do on a daily basis requires a lot of grit and determination and id rather have someone that's prepared physically and mentally protecting me rather than that fatties you get at the moment.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Personally i think that the police fitness requirements should be on par with the army, although they are not military they should still treat it as important. I mean some of the stuff some police have to do on a daily basis requires a lot of grit and determination and id rather have someone that's prepared physically and mentally protecting me rather than that fatties you get at the moment.
:iagree:

Completely Agree

ryan354

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If it makes you all feel better the firearms requirement is 9.4 in my area and they used to be expected to achieve this wearing ski cap, body armour and overals, weapon, side arm, loaded magazines for each weapon, boots but that has recently been dispanded aswell and is simply 9.4 in training kit although a lot of the firearms guys (and girls) do train a lot.

Ryan

Craig298yr

Reaction score
Again if it makes you guys feel better im a police officer and got level 13.6 on my PRMC (reserves) a few months ago....

...but yeah the standard of fitness in the police is apauling.

Eyebrows

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It is good to know that there are some fit police officers about but part of me is thinking about the old saying of "Your only as strong as your weakest link" or as fast as your slowest member in this case.

Kentish

Reaction score
There's also town security camera footage on Youtube of my local town, a jewelers was broken into and one officer chased one suspect for about 1km before apprehending him. Not massively far, but more than most would be capable of.

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i never understood this lower fitness standards for women, the armed forces do it too though. surely equality demands it should be the same? either thats the required level for the job or it isnt, but allowing people who don't meet the minimum requirements to pass in the name of political correctness is ridiculous.
and the guy who did my pjft said he did bleep tests for coppers, and they only have to do it for the first 2 years of service, and after that they can get as unfit as they want

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Apparently the Police are going to get annual fitness tests from now on (or sometime soon - probably from next year, so kind of from "now on"). I doubt the standards will be especially high but at least it's a start.
Units that require a high level of fitness, such as the riot squad, already get annual fitness tests.
I also think it's worth remembering that just because the minimum requirement on the bleep test is 5.4, that doesn't mean that every police officer can only reach 5.4 on the test. I'm sure a lot of them can give Troops a run for their money!
I do agree though that the minimum requirements should be higher.