Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Police officer to commando??

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by ResponseCop93, Jun 22, 2019.

1. ResponseCop93

ResponseCop93 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello,

Currently a serving police officer, the only two things I had in my head that I wanted to do was the police or RMC. The police is fun and all and the salary is good aswell but that itch is still there If that makes sense? So here it is, I'm 25 years old just now, I have about a year left of my probation, this would make it easier to rejoin the police at a later time. Would it be recommended by experienced commandos to take the plunge and attempt the training from a police background?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. Plenty of information, comment and debate here. Just dive in.

3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

I’m ex Army and now a serving cop. I’m
    currently an acting Sgt.

Drop me a PM & I’ll pick it up when I’m off duty later bro.

You need to think VERY seriously about leaving and joining the military as a reg. RMR might make more sense. I’ll have a chat with you in PM!

• Like Like x 2
  4. ResponseCop93

ResponseCop93 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks mate, will do.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Completely agree with this advice. If you aren’t in jeopardy of being sacked then use rmr to scratch your itch. Get your probation out of the way and depending on the size of the force you’re in look at firearms, tactical support group, response driver etc. There are still some roles out there to get the adrenaline going. I know pension and conditions of service aren’t what they were but the old bill still represents a really solid career and there aren’t many of them left!

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Police is a highly desirable career. I’d give my left arm for. Go RMR.

7. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

When you want that green lid, and it itches away that you don't have it, pay and job and work and such things take a back seat.

If you really want it that much, go for it!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’m going to weigh in and it play Devils advocate.

RMR has its own downfalls and positives. As does Regulars. I stand firm in the belief that RMR is only a positive if you have left regular RM. RMR nod training is rife with problems, admin and management wise and a lack of felixbility not to mention a huge lack of understanding for fulltime employment,(you know the pay that keeps a roof over your head and food on the table). Plus the permanent staff are all Regulars and don’t understand the civvie world or that in the real world, time = money.

You could attempt RMR training and see if it’s what you want and consider regulars from there. But yea fair one don’t jack in a career to go straight to the Corps.

One positive will be a lot less “office politics and paperwork”

• Like Like x 2
  9. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

Speaking as someone who served as a regular Royal and now serving as an NCO in a very demanding reserve role- I know where I stand on this.

To reiterate- leaving the police service to join the Corps is a demonstration of poor decision making. Believe me, I understand & appreciate that burning desire to obtain the lid. However, let’s be sensible. You will not be young forever. You are in a fantastic position to approach the RMR.
    Join as a reg and you will be cutting about with people nearly a decade younger than you for 18K a year?

Trust me, as an old dog I can guarantee that you will NOT enjoy going through training with teenagers and instructors who are younger than you. You'll be threaders at the end of the month when you open your pidly pay statement.
    Pay in a full time career is important, as idealistic as some of the younger Royals are, you will appreciate this when you get older and accumulate more responsibilities. If you've had serious responsibility as a Constable up until now, you are going to find it very difficult to handle being treated like an infant.

This is no disrespect to any of the younger blokes joining. But the stage you are in life is important.
    The opinion of the great collective minds on here should not influence your decision. You need to take a hard look at what you actually want from life, then crack on.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  10. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Worth noting most police forces restrict the number of police officers allowed to join the reserves to 0.5% or 1% of their total active officers. I.e if they have 100 police officers on the force, 1 can join the reserves.

That’s news to me as I thought you couldn’t do both. But I understand that to be a rule for Special constables only.

11. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Active Member

Having left the RN, I joined the Police service and retired 3 years ago having completed 30 yrs pensionable service ( military and police combined) On completion of my probation I spent my whole career in Tactical Fireams.
    A large amount of ARV ‘s, SFO’s, CTSFO,s are ex Royals and are members of the RMR, this is the most sensible route, given the fact that for every Police Officer position, at least 70 suitable applicants were interviewed for that post, to give that up to “ scratch an itch” on half of the pay would seem rather illogical.
    Playing Devils advocate, the lure of the green lid cannot be underestimated, however, it’s no guarantee that you would be successful at RT as the attrition rates are
    Pretty high, and it is not guaranteed that the old bill would take you back having wasted a place first time around and denied a place to one of the unsuccessful 70.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  12. ResponseCop93

ResponseCop93 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The amount of sensible feedback and honesty is overwhelming, thanks folks I really appreciate it. It's put it into brutal perspective and that's what I've needed, everything is better in hindsight I guess, wish I had tried for the lid first when I was younger etc etc. Thanks a lot for all the replies, it's been a great response!

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Cheezy hammy eggy

14. Cheezy hammy eggy

RMR is still an option, don’t put your dream in the gutter too soon pal.

• Like Like x 1
  15. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi Guys,

I am considering joining the Police as a Reg and going down RMR/Army Reserve route. Trying to get an idea of how realistic this would be. Any of the serving Police officers know how supportive they would be with your shifts and time off?..Are they obligated to move your shifts around to fit with RMR schedule?

• Seen Seen x 1
  16. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Be aware that many forces only permit 2% of serving officers to join the reserves.

You must seek written permission from your local area commander prior to submitting an application. Also think carefully and fully consider how time intensive the RMR is.

Are you really prepared to come off 3 days of nights and straight into a training weekend? Sounds easy now, but the reality is quite different.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks for your response! Agreed Its definatley something to think about!hmm

Do you think they would they allow a probationer to join the RMR/AR? I'm 30 and I think probation last 2 years so i might be a bit too old by that point!

• Seen Seen x 1
  18. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Within my force probationers are not eligible for the Special Leave arrangements for reserve training.

They must undertake any Reservist activity, fitting it in around their probationary police commitments. Using AL & RD, hence why probationers are not usually permitted authority to join reserve forces.

When their probation is successfully completed, the usual reserve forces arrangements & special leave can apply.

The majority of police forces state that officers are engaged in education and/or training intended to prepare him/her for a role as a Police Officer for the first two years of service, which would be seriously disrupted by his/her absence.

Probationary officers must understand that the Police service can lawfully appeal against any mobilisation during the probationary period on the basis that it would cause serious harm to the operational effectiveness of the police service.

Also be aware that outside of your probation, Special leave with pay will only be granted in respect of working days when you attend camp. That is, it will not be granted where training days fall on your rest days.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  19. sy_lume

sy_lume Royal Marines Commando

I've not read any other comments so apologies if its already been said.

I would advise RMR, you'll probably find the people you go through training with be a lot more like minded and from similar back grounds rather than people like myself who joined from school.

I honestly only started to properly enjoy the corps once I got a decent SQ, could you go from a good career in the police to being pinged as a driver? Or a storemen?
    Sometimes the corps isnt as sexy as what it's made out to be.

Any questions feel free to message me, that goes for questions about RMR too as I have worked with them a few times!

• Like Like x 2
  20. EJ5

EJ5 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    In a similar boat but I’ve made to decision to stay with the police and try out RMR. Has anyone got experience of going through rmr training whilst in the in the job and if so how did it work with getting time of/ shifts moved around weekends?

Cheers , ej