Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Poll: TMU or Passed Fit to Enter first medical?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 7, 2014.

?
  1. One - passed fit first go

52 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Two - TMU resolved at this appointment

34 vote(s)
    34.7%
  3. Three - TMU resolved at this appointment

9 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. Four - TMU resolved at this appointment

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  5. Five - TMU resolved at this appointment

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. More than Five - please state.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

One thing that has become apparent recently is people are being made TMU and booked more than one additional medical examination to resolve the issue. Very often being told there is "insufficient information" to make a decision with regard medical suitability.

Needless to say, each additional medical means the contracted company is able to charge more.

It would therefore be interesting to run a straw poll to gain a snapshot of how many medicals it took to resolve your medical suitability, one way or the other. Please state how long you were TMU, and if you are happy to disclose the circumstances why you were made TMU - this is to help those that follow avoid delays.

Please indicate how many medicals you attended and what, if any, reasons were given for each additional medical.

2. Hbear

Hbear Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Made TMU at first medical as they needed more information on a fatigue illness. Went back for a second to be told why I had been made TMU'd and why he had requested information, what was going to happen next and then told me it was unlikely they would pass me.
    Recieved confirmation that I had passed the medical by my CA, apparently my records had been "lost" somewhere and everything had to be resubmitted, but had to go back for a third because they hadn't done my hearing test the first time I was there!
    Whole process took around 5-6 months.

3. Eyebrows

Eyebrows Member

3 for me. First and second was due to them not being able to find my paperwork. On the third go they asked me to come in for an appointment. I drove an hour to get there only for them to say I had passed. I then drove an hour back. Capita are a joke. Delayed my application by about 4 months.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Thanks for the feedback chaps, please keep it coming

5. Shuck

Shuck Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Although I passed first time (thankfully) the doctor did jokingly say, "your the first chap I've had to pass in a while!".

6. adam101

adam101 Member

Made TMU first medical for protein in my urine sample, had to go to my GP to take a urine sample there, all was well and went for my second medical, according to the medical advisor my GP did not put down enough info about how it was clear... luckily i was able yp take another sample there and then and all was good

7. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

Keep them coming lads,maybe Andy is not in a position to say it,but i am ,and i seriously smell a rat here, is there any stats available from before capitas involvement for comparism?

• Like Like x 2
  8. corvus

corvus Member

Failed my first examination on:
    weight - a couple of hundred grams under - threaders, my bathroom scales and my friends set both said I was at least 65kg so I didnt worry about it.
    asthma - not suffered since I was very young, and even then it was only mild - had to complete a peak flow diary over a month and post back to them as you cant complete one beforehand to bring with you for some reason, only when the Head Office received it would they be in contact with the regional examination centres to let them know they could contact my AFCO to let me know I could book another medical - keeping up? If you cant work it out just yet, dont worry as you will have plenty of time to ponder lifes important questions like why are we here? which is your arm rest at the cinema? and when is the new Game of Thrones season being shown? Funnily enough, the head office denied receiving the paperwork for a week or so despite me posting it via recorded delivery and having an email with a scan of the signature from the person who signed for it.
    eczema - as above, doctors notes confirmed I had grown out of it around age 7 upon second appointment.
    concussions and hospital visits - MRI hospital and my gp conspired to delay me with the worst admin they could imagine. I have been knocked off my bike twice in 5 years, both requiring hospital visits (1 in an ambulance). The hospital initially couldnt even find records of my visits, never mind the diagnosis, and my gp had the wrong information in the wrong dates - stating I had a broken arm (never had - just had an xray to make sure it wasnt broken) and no memory of the concussion (bad joke sorry) and an incomplete account of my medical history despite me being registered there since birth - many, many haranguing phone calls ensured they got a grip and sorted it out, eventually.

I collated all this information, and photocopied it a few times just in case then a few months later went for my second medical, whereupon I passed. Or did I? I was told I was passed and she didnt want to see me again (shame really as she was a MILF), but ticked the wrong box. Chadmin. Upon speaking to AFCO I become crestfallen when told I have to book another, apparently what happened is she had written a note saying she passed me but wanted a follow up from the doctors about some medical/legal paperwork - maybe it was just missing a signature I dont know - so technically in the AFCO's eyes she hadn't passed me.

This meant I had to speak to my Careers Advisor, who became threaders because he thought I was lying to him, when all I was doing was repeating what I had been told. Not a situation I wanted to be in, annoying the person who holds your application in his hands.

All in all this took, 4 months? Maybe 5? My first medical was the height of summer, and my second appointment was just before christmas.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

:D That word has just been added to my thesaurus. Thank you.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dan Rice

Dan Rice Member

TMU'D the first time for a broken bone, I knew it was going to happen. After a 3 month wait I had a re med and got told I was all clear and I would have my pjft the same day. Drove an hour and a half away to the medical to be told I need a signature from one of my old doctors (why she couldn't of phoned me I dont know! !) After another long wait, finally got made fit and passed my pjft the same day. Since I have passed my medical my application has flown by! Capita are not ny friends.

11. madi

madi New Member

Mine is a long story, but I will keep it as short as possible.

First Medical :
    TMUed - Migraine query?
    - Lymph Node removal when I was 12 years old (Done in South Africa, have lived in the UK for 14 years)

Actions I took - Got My Doc to confirm it was a Migraine... he couldn't, so confirmed it was just an ordinary headache :)

Second Medical :
    - Capita Doc (Navy Sub contractor Doctor) was happy regarding letter about no migraine history.
    - Capita Doc, not happy about lack of information regarding Lymph Node removal when I was 12 years old.
    - TMUed ....Again :(

Actions I took - Posted a rant on old PRMC forum... Ninja saved me :)
    Called South African Hospital, they were useless.
    Printed as much information about South African Policy on keeping records (They only keep records if patients might return regarding any operations received in the past, over 5 years), They did not keep mine as I was not at risk. Ninja gave me a number for Portsmouth Naval Doc... I think, called him up...plead my case.

2 Days Later - Capita Doc called and said I passed the medical :)

Moral of the story... Ask Ninja or Andy, Dig Deep and don't accept "No" for an answer :)... unless you have 3 eye balls and six legs of something similar.

Thanks for reading

• Like Like x 1
  12. Langa please?

Langa please? Well-Known Member

I passed first time but took my entire medical records with me, having separated out documents relating to ANYTHING I declared on the form which I gave to the doctor at the start of the medical. I believe this is why I passed first time and had I not I would have been TMU'd for more information on a couple of things. It's something I would recommend everybody to do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

More feedback would be very much appreciated if you get a moment, please chaps.

What is interesting so far is there are more TMUs than people passed fit at the first appointment.

14. NEBootneck

NEBootneck New Member

I could just be very lucky but I passed my medical first time. I've had key hole surgery on my right knee as well and he didn't want any follow up paper work from my GP. I think it's all down to who your medical ow with. Some will ping you and some won't!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Hmmn, one of "my" candidates had keyhole surgery. The Doc passed him fit at six months after the Op. He commenced Recruit Training and was sent home day two - "He needs to be 12 months clear of surgery".

My advice:

1. Ensure you're 12 months clear of surgery.
    2. Take a copy of the notes relating to the surgical procedure with you when you join CTC - they may want to check it wasn't an ACL reconstruction.

16. NEBootneck

NEBootneck New Member

Luckily I've been 3 years clear and have had no relapses. The surgery was to 'clean up' a small tear on my right meniscus.

17. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

You are lucky. I was TMU'd for a grade one knee strain.

18. NEBootneck

NEBootneck New Member

ah that's a ball ache! People that I know have been pulled up for things like in growing toe nails.

19. PeterPan

PeterPan New Member

Had my 1st medical today, was TMU'D over needing doctors notes on a one off, loosely called migraine 4 years ago, a laceration (sounds worse than it really is) on my nose when I was a toddler and the one off use of an inhaler when I was 2 due to wheezing. I'll need to do a peak flow diary for a month, but all in all it doesn't seem too unreasonable of a TMU. She could've been much harsher, I've got a small amount of acne on my back which she just said to get some cream from my GP for, but I saw a thread not long ago about someone being TMU'd for acne, and I'd say I've got a fairly similar amount. Plus I failed the urine sample due to a +1 for protein, but I was allowed to re-take it at the end and got the all clear. I can't see why I wouldn't pass 2nd time round but we'll see. Best advice I could give though lads, don't wear your keyhole boxers o_O

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It's interesting to note on the poll that the maority of applicants are made TMU.