Poor eyesight preventions?

MattKT

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to join the Royal Marines when I leave college (currently in Year 12) and consider myself very able physically. The only problem I can gauge is my eyesight - I am short-sighted to -4.25.

Would anyone mind answering a few questions regarding this:

During the 32-week training, what do I wear? Are there standard Armed Forces issue glasses, or do I bring what I believe to be sufficient for the situation? (particularly the amphibious activities, such as parts of the Endurance Course)

Am I restricted in any way to what operations I can go on abroad?

What is the Marines' stance on contact lenses during training and on operations? (I'm doubtful on this one, but worth a punt)

Thanks very much for reading!

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Theres a very informative thread on eyesight guidelines, contacts are used by some recruits *text deleted** heard and they seem to get on with it ok, it shouldnt stop you but check out the thread
no-longer-validshowthread.php?t=33327[/url]
and any doubts talk to your AFCO mate
Personally i opted for LASIK but its a risk and only an option if you are over 21 i believe.
Good luck

MattKT

Reaction score
Thanks for the link mate, but the thread explains more what the requirements for joining are, rather than what the limits during training/operations are. Again, thanks for replying mate.

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the link mate, but the thread explains more what the requirements for joining are, rather than what the limits during training/operations are. Again, thanks for replying mate.
thats ok mate, sorry its not very helpful, When i first joined the forum i tried to find out similar info, but generally all i found is that contact lenses are worn throughout training and its really just down to the individual, there was a guy on here a month or so back that will be in RT by now and he was planning on wearing the monthly lenses that you keep in all the time, maybe he will be back to shed some light on it

MattKT

Reaction score
Oh right, never would have guessed that since I'd assume the last thing the instructors want halfway through an excercise like a mud run is "Sorry corporal, just lost a lens, can I go put another one in?" or something along those lines. What's RT stand for by the way?

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Oh right, never would have guessed that since I'd assume the last thing the instructors want halfway through an excercise like a mud run is "Sorry corporal, just lost a lens, can I go put another one in?" or something along those lines. What's RT stand for by the way?
Yeh thats what i always wondered, i assume they allow for such things, but then if you lose a lense out on exercise on a mud run.. thats going to be pretty irritating. i think glasses would be better.
RT is just Recruit training

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The eyesight standards indicate corrected & uncorrected parameters accepted.

Corrected includes glasses or contacts. No allowances are otherwise made - it's hoped those requiring corrected vision have the ability to determine the type best suited to the task ahead. In other words - basic common sense is expected.

MattKT

Reaction score
Thanks alot Ninja, I'll definitely check with my AFCO when I've booked my appointment.