Poppy appeal

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Most of you probably already know that todays see's the launch of the 2007 Poppy Appeal which will lead upto Rememberance Day, 11th November!

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give!" Sir Winston Churchill.

So remember to get your poppies lads every donation helps this worthy cause!

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i had a fight with a lad at work once because and i quote "he could give a *text deleted* about the mins silence"

everyone was quiet and he sat chatting on his mobile during the break..

i can swear on my life i went mental....as did i few of my colleagues

total disrespect!

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thats mad Alan ... respect to you for having a go at him!!

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Shiloh79 said:
Thats mad Alan ... respect to you for having a go at him!!

in any armed forces you learn to fully understand what really happened back then....

thing was this bloke was about 35...you would think he would of had some respect

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Respect

Some people have no respect. Remember that. You'll come across the couch potatoes who will opt to tell you about your job after operational deployments, they'll call you cannon fodder, tell you they're paying your wages through taxes etc etc.

You deal with these situations in a way that you choose, although wisely you'll learn to take them with a pinch of salt. That's me being sensible these years on!! :D

You'll find most respect comes from fellow or former service personnel.

Its always been that way men, so don't expect any different.

Cheers

Steve

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i remember going to buy a playstation 2 once...just after i had come back from kosovo....some how told them guy in the shop...dunno why...any way...he looks at me for a second then says.."can i shake your hand...you lot are doin us proud..i take my hat of to you"

was quite taken back...really dint know what to say to him....thought about asking for a discount *text deleted* :D

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thats what the yanks are like with there soliders. They could care less here.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Different

Some time back, in the area, where I grew up, a squaddie got one hell of a kicking that he'd didn't deserve. These lads didn't want to shake his hand!

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/Mum39s-plea-to-find-son39s.1873325.jp

http://www.hartlepooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1109&ArticleID=1876316

It was sickening really. Over the years I had lots of experience with would be hardmen wanting to test their fighting skills out on me. Personally, I never tollerated fools who brought that kind of crap my way, but I guess handling those type of sitautions comes with experience.

This poor lad was singled out and the cowards who jumped him were undoubtedly *text deleted*s.

Note: This doesn't mean, you'll be singled out because you're a servicemen. It can happen in any walk of life. However, its worth bearing in mind that not everybody wants to shake your hand.

I've posted this before. But it does back up what I've said. About would be hardmen. In reality, if they want to prove that they're tough men, they too should join up.

http://archive.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/2005/12/16/214137.html

Not forgetting of course and reflecting on what Alan has said: there is a large percentage of people who will give you respect, buy you beers and make time to say hello to you. There's also a lot of women who absolutely adore the servicemen.

Ultimately guys, I just want you to understand that it pays to keep your guard up.

Cheers

Steve

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
News Hero Marine launches Poppy Appeal - Western Morning News Special Forces 0
S Poppy Military News and Clips 5
R White poppy Jollies Bar 13