Possible Major Site Change

Are you in favour in upgrading to the new site

• Total voters

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Dear Members of PRMC.co.uk

OK guys we are planning on a few site changes over the next 2 weeks. We currently run on a system called phpBB2. phpBB is a free forum (open source) system that is built by volunteers and published for anyone to use on the net.

Because the system is free it lacks a few facilities that other forum systems benefit from, So we are thinking of changing it.

The first difference that you will notice is that the site design will change. Unfortunately I can not get it to look this one. It will look like this instead http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/ but it will be branded up with RM stuff and will look pretty good, more professional.

We used the same site design as mfat to start with because we got a lot of visitors from their site and it made them feel a bit at home. However we are now big enough to attract our own visitors before they ever see mfat, so most people won't link the designs.

Another point is that phpBB3 is out now and phpBB2 which we used is being phased out shortly. So we will need to change the site design anyway, as this design does not exist on phpBB3.

That is the one and only downside from that I can see.

--------------

Benefits include,

http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php

You can write your own training blogs, read other people's. To name but one feature.

The amount of things we can do is endless compared to where we are now.

-------------

Other benefits are increased site security, phpbb can be brought down by near enough anyone who follows simple online instructions. This new system is much more secure. People could be hacking in and stealing our data now, I genuinely wouldn't know.

New threads will be much easier to view, so you don't have to go looking round for who's posted since your last visit.

Search engines will pick up site postings a lot quicker, and bring in more visitors and members
-----------

I'd be grateful for your thoughts, it's down to you guys, you all have a vote on this one.

In one way, we are at the limit of what we can do with this forum in regards of taking it forward.

Best of luck and post your thoughts on the matter, including questions.

----------------------

Forgot to mention, We won't lose any data or threads etc. Everything will be transferred and be exactly like we have now. You won't need to re-register either, nothing changes.

All the best

GW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to add the site address will remain unchanged too (or so GW tells me- I'm pretty thick on technicalities).

My thoughts are it will increase membership & efficiency. It would be quite good if we could get a few more serving Royal Marines onboard as contributors to help those joining. Much as I plague the guys I work with checking the advice is current & correct, it would be good to have a few more independent contributors with recruit training experience & life beyond that within the Corps actually posting to help those that follow on behind.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Change is good! I've used this type of forum before and there are lots of nice features you can add (shoutbox being a popular one). Can't wait to see what it's like.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
will we have to have that blue colour i do like blue but that colour wasn't nice at all.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Honest answer is I don't know yet.

I will find out in the next 24 hours. If I can match this green, then I will do my best to keep visual change to a minimum.

All the best

GW

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Yes we can change the colour, so It won't look all that different from what we have today.

GW

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I say crack on mate !!

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Change is very good!! Not that I'm saying this site is bed, very good I must admit. But extra possibilities sound very good indeed.

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alot of other forums have it like that, so should be good and yea damn that colour is abit dodgy.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Change

There's a saying: If things don't change, they'll stay the same, but at times change is as good as a rest.

It sounds positive. GW: You've positively established this site now mate, maybe it is time to move it up a few notches.

It certainly sounds positive to me. It'll make it more unique, changing its appearance a little too.

Cheers

Steve

smithy85

Reaction score
Gets my vote too, good effort from you GW for wanting to improve it :) nice one

South

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Exiting stuff :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*:

8)

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Goen for Yes, Vb is a far better forum, will improve the site even more. ( not that it needs it)

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
OK, short of a influx of no votes over the next few days, then I'll start looking into making this thing happen. We are looking to go live in around 2-3 weeks.

So Just keep posting as normal and all the data will be transferred without any problems.

-------------------

With regards the site colour, I will put several different templates in the system, so that each user will be able to select their own design of the site.

What we need, as Ninja says, is vote on the default style of the site, the style to which a new user will see on their first visit. We can run this Poll on the new site so that you will have all the styles available in front of you to view and to toggle between, so you can see them working, this way you'll be able to get a more accuarate view to vote from.

All the best

GW