Possible PJFT changes.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To quell the flood of rabid rumours received by PM:

First of all- it hasn't happened yet so specific details are not yet confirmed.

Be aware that with effect from some date in the unknown future the Royal Marines PJFT will comprise TWO 2.4Km runs on the treadmill.

Timings and rest periods allowed between the runs have not yet been published however logic would suggest that this is as a result of the fact 75%of PRMC fails occur on the 3 mile run, so timings may reflect the pass/fail criteria of the 3 mile run.

No further detail is known other than those who have already passed PJFT or have booked a PJFT under the current rules remain unaffected.

Luke023

Reaction score
what a brilliant idea :iagree: it did wonder how people passed their pjft but yest failed the 3 miler

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Ninja, My medical is on the 5th of August so i'm guessin my PJFT will be around a week after...so now i'm scared haha. Hopefully i'll just have to do the 1.5 miler but if not, it's only 20 minutes of effort :D

I personally think they should replicate how it's done down at the CTC - 12.30 mins to 1.5 mile and then a best effort. I still think the one down at CTC would be more difficult due to the fact you'd be running on road and up incline as apposed to running on a flat treadmill.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Ninja, My medical is on the 5th of August so i'm guessin my PJFT will be around a week after...so now i'm scared haha. Hopefully i'll just have to do the 1.5 miler but if not, it's only 20 minutes of effort :D

If you're having to tell yourself,

"Hopefully i'll just have to do the 1.5 miler but if not, it's only 20 minutes of effort"

how are you going to comfort yourself over the many many 6+ mile runs you do throughout training and the 30 miler!?

"Its ok, its only 8 hours of effort, over unforgiving terrain, in unpredictable weather conditions with our houses on our back with mangled, half eaten feet after 3 days of bodily abuse."

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
"Its ok, its only 8 hours of effort, over unforgiving terrain, in unpredictable weather conditions with our houses on our back with mangled, half eaten feet after 3 days of bodily abuse."
that was my plan... *text deleted*

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Me and a mate tried a 30 miler a few months ago on Dartmoor.

We didn't take as much weight and it was after a weeks rest and conditions were pretty good that day.

We tried to jog all the downhills and some flats (some downhills are far too steep to jog!)

After about 5 hours we had incredibly painful back of the knees and blistered feet, so we started cutting a lot of corners with nothing but the warm car and the drive home in our heads.

After 7 hours 30 mins, including 5 x 15 minute breaks (eating, drinking, checking feet, changing socks, enjoying the scenery etc.) we were back at the car. We had done just over 20 miles which was about 22 minutes per mile!

You have to bear in mind guys that some of the hills require your hands as well as feet! and even some of the flats involve so many hidden holes that we were repeatedly falling in! We also had to cross 2 rivers, which was part of our planned route just for a laugh.

I had to have the monday off work! Legs just didn't work!

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
By saying that I meant i'm not 100% fit yet so hope that it's only the 1.5 miler, but if it is the 3 miler, its only 20 minutes of effort.

And if your mentally strong enough, I don't see why saying 'it's only 30 miles' is such a problem? Worked for me when I did a 50 mile walk along the coast...although we had 24 hours to complete it *text deleted*. Alot more than the 8 hours allowed for commando course!

chris1988

Reaction score
do u know when these changes are due to happen?, ive got my medical, eye test, pyscometric test and my interview on the 18th august, do you reckon the changes will happen before or after. im not really bothered as im fit enough to do both so, i was just wonderin would i have to alter my training a little bit.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
in all honesty i recon the PJFT should be completely scrapped and a RMAD done instead.. test press, sit and pulls with 3 mile run and bleep test. but they should have the standard slightly lower than a PRMC but still high enough to show that if the minimums are hit, with a little more training, an applicant is able to pass a prmc..

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
in all honesty i recon the PJFT should be completely scrapped and a RMAD done instead.. test press, sit and pulls with 3 mile run and bleep test. but they should have the standard slightly lower than a PRMC but still high enough to show that if the minimums are hit, with a little more training, an applicant is able to pass a prmc..
completely agree with you mate though i'm not sure about scrapping the PJFT, just insert RMAD in between PRMC and PJFT.

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I too agree, running on a treadmill is one thing running outside is another. For a start the ground outside isnt moving for you.

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, well if your Chuck Norris anything is possible :-D

Luke023

Reaction score
got to say i disagree with you about the RMAD thing before prmc. i think it would be a waste of time to make it compulsory before prmc as most people do actually pass the prmc. if people are going to fail at the RMAD, surely theres no harm in letting them fail at prmc. a compulsory RMAD would mean more travel warrants to get to RMAD as they are not local to everyone.

all this would do is slow down the application process even more, however i am all for the idea of 2 pjft.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
thing is you *text deleted* think of budget as well mate. if a compulsary RMAD type assesment cut out on the weaker applicants it would be much cheaper than having them at PRMC for 3 days to get the same result...

Luke023

Reaction score
there are arguments for and against but for me it would just a pointless thing in the app process, it was boring enough having to take a night out to travel to fitness first just to take a stroll on a treadmill.

possibly press ups, sit ups and pull up tests at the same place as the pjft at the same time might be an idea?

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, it was alot easier in my dads day.... no fitness tests. you could get into the military if you could write your own name because everyone was already so fit and healthy. Speaking of chuck norris... when chuck norris does push-ups he dosent actually push himself up.. he pushes the the world down!

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* i've not been to an RMAD so i couldn't say.something needs to be done that's for sure. I found the PJFT a piece of *text deleted*, and not really stringent enough if the point is to make sure you're fit enough to do PRMC (from what i've heard of PRMC), as has been said it's clearly not working if 75% of fails are on the 3 miler.
when chuck norris gets in water he doesn't get wet, the water gets chuck norris

smallzy

Reaction score
i just got back from my AFCO today and picked up my application form. he was explaining the RMAD to me and it sounded like it's compulsory, or at least the way he was talking was that it is very strongly recommended. He didn't mention much about the PJFT expect that it's still under 10 minutes in under 2.4km.

Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I agree that there wouldn't be much point in making the RMAD compulsary, I'm sure it would be a good experience but it would slow down the selection process and would be costly. I think it would be better to just do more at the PJFT, aswel as the running wich i suppose could be increased i think push/sit ups and pulls ups wouldn't go a miss