Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Possible PMU Issue

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by prm_1, Jun 9, 2020.

1. prm_1

prm_1 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi,

This is more a question for ninja and anyone else that has any experience with similar issues.
    I'm about to send off my medical questionnaire to Capita and have answered as honestly as possible.
    I've put down that I have a suspected (but not medically confirmed) allergy to penicillin and peanuts.
    Also, I've put down that I had a dermatitis/eczema incident in 2019 (since recovered and have had no issues since) and have had some history as well, however it has never affected my ability to do anything in my life, neither is it sensitive to salt water/engine oil/synthetics/clothes etc (have had jobs in the past involving all of these with no issues). I know that these are grounds for PMU.

How can I argue my case on triage call (if I can at all) and at face to face medical? I have no visible spots/areas. Really need some advice on this as I'm so keen to get in and don't want to be barred. Would be gutted.

Best

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Suspected? Suspected by who? I'm not being facetious but you imply that a medical professional has not diagnosed an allergy and that it is not recorded on your medical records.

Be wary of family folklore whereby someone (usually in childhood) becomes unwell and an aunt or someone decides that it's an allergic reaction because their friend's daughter had similar symptoms. Before you can sneeze it's become a 'fact'.

Hopefully one of the Careers Advisers on here can give you some guidance when they spot this.

• Like Like x 1
  3. prm_1

prm_1 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thanks for replying.

I say 'suspected' as my parents were told at my birth however nothing has ever been officially recorded...

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A conversation with your GP should clarify. If an allergy to penicillin was diagnosed it will be on your medical records.

5. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

For the first issue, unless its a diagnosed issue you have nothing to declare, as for the 2nd one you do and unfortunately you will get held up TMU at least possibly PMU, ..so as above simply ask your Dr / GP to confirm prior to any Triage call, you will also need any supporting evidence to appeal your case if it comes to that, you can point out any facts to the Capita Dr but the outcome will very likely be the same as they pass the "risk" to the Navy medical cell to deal with via an appeal..if the Navy gets it wrong it falls to the Navy, if Capita let you in then they are liable, hence they are risk-averse and pass it to the Navy to sort.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  6. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’m allergic to penacillian that’s no issues as a lot of people are allergic to that usually you just wear dog tags saying this.
    If it’s not on your medical records you shouldn’t list it as capita will cause you a nightmare!
    Id get your medical records and say you made a mistake and give them a call this way itl cover your own end.