Possible shin splits

scsracing

Reaction score
Hi

Well i have been running 4 miler's of which 2.5 miles is tarmac.I have a pain just above my ankle in my right leg on the inside.It only feels as if's it's about 10cm long,I can walk and run on it fine it just feels like cramp though.If it is shin splits how long do you recommend resting it for(possibly doing cycling to keep aerobic fitness up).

Scott

daz665

Reaction score
I get exactly the same, been a bit worried about it but It's not that painful really. Been meaning to look into it and find out if it's shin splints or not.

I'm also getting stiffness on my calves a few hours after my run. Pretty sure I'm stretching enough, again I just hope it isn't anything really bad!

scsracing

Reaction score
Not getting any stiffness but i am heavily into cycling and have only been running last few weeks so was hoping its just a 'starting pain' as the body is not used to it.

Scott

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i had the same and i went to the doctors and they said it was nothing and i went to the hospital and they tested my leg further and i have shin splints! they should go in 2 weeks tho so i will be ok for my RT! :wink: go to *text deleted* hospital A and E and remember to say *text deleted* a marine as ull get special treatment.

scsracing

Reaction score
spartan did you just rest for 2 weeks doing nothing or did they give you any advice on it.

Scott

Benb07

Reaction score
Dude exact problem i had too.
I did x-training cycling rowing and swimming in replacement for running and ran everyso often when i finished the run i would ice my shins with pressure.
Another hint is don't stop running altogether becuase a sudden increase in running and lots of it can bring them back fast. Anyway i hope this kind of helps, you'll be fine. Plenty of patience.
Cheers, Ben

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
id say they deffinatly sound like shin splints, exactly the same place i had mine, stretch and ice is the answer.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Scrap that. Docs are useless in sports injuries. Go to a Physiotherapist, look for a Sports Physio if you can find one.

I went to the doctor a year back and got told to run with weights and it would pass. A year on,ive just had surgery on both legs.

Doctors are very good,but are not speicalised in this kind of area generaly. At BEST they will tell you that your new to running,give you some NSAID (Ibuprofen,diclofenac etc) .

Bare in mind Shin Splints isnt a diagnosis. You dont have 'Shin Splints', you have one of the types of lower leg problems that people generalise as shin splints. Always used to annoy me when my mates said "Oh ive had shin splints,was nothing,went in a day blablabal" . Its like saying, two people with a bad back are classed as the same. Yet one could just have slept funny,one could have a slipped disc and be extremtly serious. Two cases are never the same.

Theres lots of differnt things you could have. Dont let a Doctor just fobb you off with 'Shin Splints' . It tells you nothing about the injury you have,what caused it,and how to get rid of it.

scsracing

Reaction score
Well i have brought a compression bandage jobbie for the time being and have done some RICE.I will try the doctor next week but i have been resting it so fingers crossed by the time i get to docs it will of gone.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Pendon. As much as you should take advantage of the NHS, i think for this kind of situation their gash! Far too long to wait. Id much rather pay £30 and go for a private session. Did you mention to the Doc that your a RMR recruit? I would have thought it would speed it up quite a bit?

Good luck either way mate

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well i have brought a compression bandage jobbie for the time being and have done some RICE.I will try the doctor next week but i have been resting it so fingers crossed by the time i get to docs it will of gone.

You running in good shoes mate? Maybe cut the mileage right back when you start. Although your a keen cyclist,try and bring the running in really gradually,maybe it was just too much too soon

scsracing

Reaction score
I am running in some nike running shoes which i brought(not from running shop as didn't realise the bonus of buying them from a running shop(them picking the right pair for you)).I did visit my ACFO today just to ask some general questions and they mentioned getting some 'SHOCKER' insoles which were £16.99.I must say just walking round in them feels like i am walking on air and i do recommend them.Think i did overdo it running last week as i ran 4 miles on road 4 times and before that i was just doing 1.5 miles on a running machine twice a week.The bloke at the ACFO advised me to run 3 miles once a week and my best effort 1.5 mile once a week.I just did a nice easy 18 miles bike ride today as i had a day off school in 90 minutes with average speed of 11 mph(slow as you like) but i did ride around our local nature reserve place which took ages as lots of old folk walking around and it was nice and sunny so was just enjoying it.Did one yesterday but that was at 19.7mph average speed so just wanted a nice easy ride today:toung:

Probably will start running again on the 20th(if the pain has gone)and just start out doing 1.5 miles on grass then slowing raising it by 0.5 mile each time.I do have a nice 6 mile route which i found riding around today but i will leave that till a later date once i am and fixed back up to standard.

Scott

emerson88

Reaction score
yellow pages mate.

I know this could sound daft but has anybody just run through shin splints and been fine after a while? *text deleted*'e heard so many different causes and cures/preventions etc. Mine apparently were due to flat feet but now i have new shoes and insoles etc but they've come back again. I heard that this could be my body 're-alligning' itself but im laying off the running for a few weeks anyway. ease back into it.