Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Post AIB advice

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Kipper, May 24, 2020.

1. Kipper

Kipper New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi, I hope you’re all keeping well during these strange times. I’m just looking for some more information concerning YO applications, specifically your options after an AIB pass.

My understanding is that it is competitive to get onto the YO batches and that one can technically pass both the POC and AIB yet not be selected for training - as places are awarded on merit(?)

Thus, I’m just trying to see what your potential options are if you find yourself in this situation of passing the AIB but perhaps not scoring as high as others who subsequently get on the next batch instead of you. Is this a common scenario? Can you redo the AIB in an attempt to higher your score? Or do you just have to wait out in the hopes that a place opens up for you? Alternatively, if you were stuck in this potential limbo, could you opt to change your application and apply RN to go to Dartmouth instead?

Any information would be much appreciated!

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Bottom line is that a POC and AIB pass do not guarantee a place on a Batch.

The Royal Marines have only one YO entry annually. Typically the number is about fifty. Compare to the Army; RMAS is a bigger factory.

The 'final cut' of POC and AIB passes is generally made in the third week of July.
    This forum has seen competent and capable candidates who don't make the final cut one year but do so the next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. anon1234

anon1234 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've done exactly what you've asked about, was on the YO19 reserve list/then got injured so did AIB again earlier this year and scored higher for this batch, awaiting selection now. I'll DM you

• Like Like x 1
  4. EvenParasHaveHeroes

EvenParasHaveHeroes Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    In this position right now. I’ve tried a little manoeuvring in different directions but the application process is pretty inflexible.

It’s a decision based on the individual and the AIB board for when a retake could take place but I believe 9 times out of 10 they will say 12 months.

I tried to complete an other rank application alongside after my AIB so in a worst case scenario I could get into the first RT batch after the final selection board told in no uncertain terms that this would not be possible.

Either wait it out to final selection board or scrap any hopes of making the YO batch it seems.

5. anon1234

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    You can definitely be offered to go in a recruit troop, I was told that was an option (a few times) whilst on reserve list for YO19, chosen to go for this YO20 batch however after a small injury. I don't believe you need to redo a whole application process, instead contact your ACLO directly.

6. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Yes you are correct but expect it to take 2-3 months to sort out after FSB.

7. anon1234

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hopefully FSB goes well then!

8. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Thanks. One can only wildly speculate on the size of the batch required and the number of applicants to have made it past the AIB with all this disruption.

Was recently told that FSB will be sitting on the 15th July. I was surprised they had not pushed it back further.

9. anon1234

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've heard all sorts, pretty sure there will be a ROP to make up for a shortfall in POCs.

10. EvenParasHaveHeroes

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
  11. anon1234

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Recruit Orientation phase. Latest I heard from people who recently passed AIB was this was highly likely. 4 weeks of militarization at a slower pace essentially. Plenty of threads on it here

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

May I ask if this was the candidates speculation and assumption? Or based upon information from their ACLOs?

The current recruitment environment is 'fluid' so we're trying to maintain a credible information flow.

@The guide might chip in with a comment if he spots this.

13. anon1234

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Right to ask, it was sourced from people who have recently passed AIB as RM candidates and was the info they received in de-brief from the board president.

Again, they said ‘likely’!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated.

15. anon1234

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    No worries, it’s important to clarify information (and it’s sources), especially in this day and age!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Definitely. I get the impression that recruitment is reacting to circumstances as they develop, as are many other aspects of life. The previous 'set-in-stone' protocol can't be relied upon. Expecting the unexpected is a sound philosophy.

17. anon1234

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Expect anything, absolutely. I think just wait to hear whatever we have to do next from the AFCO/ACLO, and get as mentally/physically ready as possible

• Like Like x 1