Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Post POC

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Maverick200597, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Maverick200597

Maverick200597 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I'm currently at university and looking to join the Royal Marines as an Officer. I'm just curious as to how much involvement on the ground you have as an Officer in comparison to being a general RM and what the career progression is an an Officer. I've seen that you can become a landing craft officer, signals officer, heavy weapons officer, mountain leader, intelligence officer etc but none of that appeals to me, i'd want to first and for most be in the middle of the fight and not spending most of my time filling in paperwork. Is there anyone that could help shed some light on this for me or am I just being naive?

2. MORP

MORP Member

Doesn't really sound like you want to be an officer then mate

3. Maverick200597

App Stage:
    TMU
    There’s nothing I would want more than to lead our elite. But I feel like being an officer makes you miss out on that sense of brotherhood that the life of a general RM wold offer?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Research the roles of Other Rank and Officer. One is not intrinsically 'better' than the other but they are different. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Maverick200597

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thanks for your replies! I’ve just seen a thread by @Warehouse125

‘Officer or Marine? Experienced answers would be greatly appreciated’

- Which I have to admit is exactly how I feel and the replies on there by @Ninja_Stoker Andy the rest are enlightening. Bit of a pre-mature post by me, should have done some more research!

• Like Like x 2