post RFCC life as a RMR

Greyman20

Reaction score
Hi All,

i am looking into the possibility of transferring from the AR to RMR, i have now got the transfer process sorted out and this forum has been great for extracting info for life during RT,

before i pull the trigger and start notifying the CoC of my intent to transfer i am just looking for a bit more insight to what it is like as a RMR.

currently im a CPL (just picked up) and have been in the AR in NI for 7 years, im a regular attender with 50-60 MTDs a year and quite keen my issue is the lack of opportunities within the AR to actually be used, mobilisations are virtually non existent and FTRS positions are for G4 tasks not "fighting troops".

i have a few questions as to what live is like after RFCC in the RMR (i appreciate im a long way off that but trying to make sure im fully informed and that any transfer would be for the right reasons)

1- do the RMR actually get used by the Regs? and if so is it only here and there and is it as a fighting troop or to backfill G4 tasks,

2- after completion of RFCC, are you eligable for mobilisation or do you require further training?

3- the life of RMR, what is the general training year like, (belfast specific then is all training in scotland and if so how does that affect your civvi job etc.) currently i would attend 5-6 weekends per year in scotland but i have to say the AR is quiet good in that they tend to be back in NI for 1700 on sunday.

*text deleted**text deleted* i get people will ask if you are that keen to be used why dont you join the regs, my reason is money to regular either in RM or army would be too much of a financial restart for me and my family so i am try to maximise my service life with my civvi life*text deleted**text deleted**

i appreciate all advice and thanks in advance

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi mate. Not giving too much detail away but in my coy there are quite a few RMR ranks on 2 year ftrs , one of which is a corporal aswell. This is within a busy coy at a fighting unit.

Due to Manning requirements I think it is fairly easy to pick up a ftrs within a fighting/soldiering role.

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
Semi hijack... soz about me...

It seems regardless fighting coy or not 40, 42, 43, 45 etc. all FTRS are for drivers, stores, drivers, stores...

I have zero issue with the role as i would muck in as best i could...what pros are their and cons to these roles...aware their though of as...gash at best.

Also l, oftern the criteria on these roles state previous military experience is essential...hmmm seems a non starter for a GDM reservists no?

Cheers all.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi All,

i am looking into the possibility of transferring from the AR to RMR, i have now got the transfer process sorted out and this forum has been great for extracting info for life during RT,

before i pull the trigger and start notifying the CoC of my intent to transfer i am just looking for a bit more insight to what it is like as a RMR.

currently im a CPL (just picked up) and have been in the AR in NI for 7 years, im a regular attender with 50-60 MTDs a year and quite keen my issue is the lack of opportunities within the AR to actually be used, mobilisations are virtually non existent and FTRS positions are for G4 tasks not "fighting troops".

i have a few questions as to what live is like after RFCC in the RMR (i appreciate im a long way off that but trying to make sure im fully informed and that any transfer would be for the right reasons)

1- do the RMR actually get used by the Regs? and if so is it only here and there and is it as a fighting troop or to backfill G4 tasks,

2- after completion of RFCC, are you eligable for mobilisation or do you require further training?

3- the life of RMR, what is the general training year like, (belfast specific then is all training in scotland and if so how does that affect your civvi job etc.) currently i would attend 5-6 weekends per year in scotland but i have to say the AR is quiet good in that they tend to be back in NI for 1700 on sunday.

*text deleted*text deleted*text deleted* i get people will ask if you are that keen to be used why dont you join the regs, my reason is money to regular either in RM or army would be too much of a financial restart for me and my family so i am try to maximise my service life with my civvi life*text deleted*text deleted*text deleted*text deleted*

i appreciate all advice and thanks in advance

Do you want the honest answer or the duty line?

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
Again, a bit parasitic jacking the thread but I dont care that much. Im here for all the info relevant. Soz about me. Ha.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@ThreadpigeonsAlpha I can only speak for myself but who doesn't want an honest answer through the lens of someone elses experience to help make an informed choice.

Very interested in points 1 & 2 in the OP.

1. Yea they get utilised by the regulars probably in a more hands on role than the Army Reserve. The Corps has a manning problem at the minute, same with RMR so they are try to keep numbers up and rotating through.

2. No, after you have completed the RFCC you still need to compete your live fire range package. After that, you are eligible for deployment.

3. RMR training is lacking for trained ranks. All training and attention is given to recruit training. Majority of trained rank activities are spent helping to enable those training weekends.

They are not very flexible with regards to recruit training and civvie jobs. You have a training weekend every 2nd week, including a drill night through the week.
Miss anymore than 2 weekends will be a major problem.

Can you transfer to 131?

Collieryboy

Reaction score
It's a shame there's not a 4 PARA det closer to the OP. Sounds exactly like what he's looking for. Fighting roles only, plenty of training with regs or FTRS. Even the High Readiness Reserve (HRR) if it suits. With him being AR would be a much smoother transition and wouldn't have to start from scratch.

Hammerhead26

Reaction score
@Collieryboy / @ThreadpigeonsAlpha I'm not a one vs the other mong, both 4 Para / RMR are cut from the same cloth in my opinion and I would be VERY LUCKY to serve in either.

In a lucky position as I have a 4 Para Det about the same distance as I do a RMR Det. As someone that holds down a career and all that faff who's looking for maximum bang for their buck and to serve in a hard charging, phys focused combat role would one have an opinion 4 Para might be the most appropriate route?

Any info is worth its weight in gold for me so thanks in advance. if anyone else has a food for thought please get amongst it :)

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@Collieryboy / @ThreadpigeonsAlpha I'm not a one vs the other mong, both 4 Para / RMR are cut from the same cloth in my opinion and I would be VERY LUCKY to serve in either.

In a lucky position as I have a 4 Para Det about the same distance as I do a RMR Det. As someone that holds down a career and all that faff who's looking for maximum bang for their buck and to serve in a hard charging, phys focused combat role would one have an opinion 4 Para might be the most appropriate route?

Any info is worth its weight in gold for me so thanks in advance. if anyone else has a food for thought please get amongst it :)

I would certainly be a much easier process I would imagine for you to sideways transfer within Army Reserves to 4 Para and have transferable quals and possibly rank?

RMR means going right back to the bottom of the pile.

There’s always 23 to consider? Although maybe not possible due to location?

CarrotOrStick

Royal Marines Reserve Officer
Reaction score
1 - Yes. At the moment there is a lot of opportunity for the full range. You can go on the "RM40" mobilisation for 1 Year to a fighting company or take a mobilisation or FTRS into the other logistics / driving roles.

2 - Yes. The training pipeline has just changed to mean that at the end of training you are fully deployable. Be aware this means an increase in the length of training and is likely to mean significant repetition for you.

3 - Opportunity to train on attachment with the regular Corps (see Green Claymore on social media this year) or on specific RMR exercises (Commando Phoenix). This alongside routine training weekends and det nights.

Be aware that as you are a high attender at the AR in what I suspect may be an enabling role(?) you will lose a lot of flexibility with your income (you cannot miss more than x weekends or you go back to the start of training) which would impact upon your 50-60 RSDs.

Definitely worth getting in touch with your nearest unit and finding out more about your specific circumstances from them but there are no shortcuts so as others have alluded to... it may be better to look at a transfer within the AR.

Give me a shout if you'd like more information

Greyman20

Reaction score
some great info lads thank you and much appreciated,

my main reason for a transfer is for more opportunity to mobilise, i appreciate there isnt much happening in the world regarding kinetic deployments but currently in the yeomany going on 7 years now with very little to show for it other than courses, or ftrs admin positions and little to nothing being offered out to combat roles, unfortunately no real access to 4 para in NI plus parachuting wouldnt be for me. and no army cmdo opportunities in NI from what i can gather.

New Threads