Post to Lympstone

gillmel2003

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but I want to send my lad a parcel, he is just starting week 3. Is he allowed to receive post and what is the proper address I use to make sure he gets it. Sounds a daft question but want to forward his P45 and don't want to get it lost.

If there is a certain way to address the mail then please let me know.
Cheers

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but I want to send my lad a parcel, he is just starting week 3. Is he allowed to receive post and what is the proper address I use to make sure he gets it. Sounds a daft question but want to forward his P45 and don't want to get it lost.

If there is a certain way to address the mail then please let me know.
Cheers

@Ninja_Stoker you able to give up to date instructions?

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The Address I used during training was :
00000000 Recruit X
xxx Tp
Commando Training Centre Royal Marines
Lympstone
Devon
EX8 5AR

(This was what our training team told us to use and that's current as to 239 Tp which passed out yesterday)
Post got to me every time. It arrives and is placed into the mail office where it can be collected within 24 hours. If its not collected it gets moved to Commando Training Wing which just means a member of the training team has to go and collect it for the recruit. Don't worry about the mail, if the address is correct it will arrive. :)

Maiden666

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi. Do the nods get informed as it was my nods birthday last week and his cousin posted cookies.
He hasn't had any notification and now he's on ex. Marshal Star.
Don't think they will be edible by the weekend -vomit-

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Hi. Do the nods get informed as it was my nods birthday last week and his cousin posted cookies.
He hasn't had any notification and now he's on ex. Marshal Star.
Don't think they will be edible by the weekend -vomit-
Some Sgts will tell lads they have post, some will actually collect it for the troop If they are feeling generous. Some won't say anything, and leave it up to the Nod to go to the post room themselves. Best bet, tell your Nod post is on the way, and for him to call into the post room when he gets chance.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If he collects the post within 24 hours it will be up in the mail office in the “HQ” building and anyone from the troop can run up there and collect it. If it’s left for longer then 24 hours it gets moved to the Commando Training Wing (CTW) where a member of the training team has to collect it. We used to keep pestering one of the corporals and normally they’d collect it after an exercise or once a week if we were on camp.

He should know where the HQ building is if he doesn’t it’s next to the learning centre. So just tell him that and I’m sure he’ll find it!

Maiden666

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure if he'll want mouldy cookies haha

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure if he'll want mouldy cookies haha

In my experience most things are still edible within a week of the sell by date ;) Saving the world one dubious piece of fruit at a time.

gillmel2003

Reaction score
Hi... another stupid question, my lad is in RT and is planning to book summer holiday with his mates back home, he tells me he will have 3 weeks off. Anyway he should finish RT just before the summer break, what happens IF he passes out before summer break, will he still get the same 3 weeks holidays? *text deleted* for any advice.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Hi... another stupid question, my lad is in RT and is planning to book summer holiday with his mates back home, he tells me he will have 3 weeks off.

Hopefully others will post about the risks (manageable) associated with booking overseas holidays. The key factor is to ensure that cancellation insurance is taken out.

I'll throw something else into the mix. Maybe—just maybe—in several months' time he might instead want to book a holiday with the mates he has yet to meet. I'm not suggesting he will abandon his civvy mates but perhaps it's worth thinking about.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi... another stupid question, my lad is in RT and is planning to book summer holiday with his mates back home, he tells me he will have 3 weeks off. Anyway he should finish RT just before the summer break, what happens IF he passes out before summer break, will he still get the same 3 weeks holidays? *text deleted* for any advice.

I'd advice him to hold off on that. As Chelonian said you become close with the lads in your troop very early on and most often or not you'll go away together during leave. We did as a troop and I know 90% of other lads in other troops did the same. It's up to him but if I was in his shoes I'd hold off and have a chat first with the lads in his troop when he commences RT.

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'd advice him to hold off on that. As Chelonian said you become close with the lads in your troop very early on and most often or not you'll go away together during leave. We did as a troop and I know 90% of other lads in other troops did the same. It's up to him but if I was in his shoes I'd hold off and have a chat first with the lads in his troop when he commences RT.

What a cracking start to life in a troop, leave and a 2 weeks booze holiday to get to know the lads!!

HMW1722

Reaction score
My son's troop is due to pass out just before the summer leave break. Someone asked the question about the summer break on Families Day and we were told that they wouldn't necessarily get the 3 weeks. They should get the weekend but it then depends on where they are going next & they don't find that out until just before pass out. They may get a week or they may be expected to turn up the following Monday.

gillmel2003

Reaction score
Any suggestions on best company for cancellation insurance. I am planning to book my summer holiday but if dates changed with the lad in RT then I might have to change my plans too, often insurance doesn't cover that sort of thing. Any good company's that might cover this type of change ..all suggestions welcome