Posting Discussions For edd91 and Tin

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Tin said:
hay gw
I must say Excellent post from u.
i think *text deleted* rite with leaving on *text deleted* terms, it will stop u from think what could of been, like u sed.
reading this dus not make me change my mined it just makes me think im doing the rite thing. by having a clean start with something.

if that makes sens to anyone *text deleted*.
It makes posts easier to read if write right, not saying you have to or anything but it just makes it better to read :wink:, don't want to sound like MFAT but meh :*text deleted*:

Tin

Reaction score
OK mate ill try not let the fact that I'm dyslexia and i lived in south Africa most of my life.
but hay ill try just for you. 8)

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
It's something that a couple of admins have discussed in the past and ultimately it's come out as each to their own on this one. We know what we would like to see but ultimately we have to be realistic and know that we can't.

As long as someone doesn't fill in the forms in the AFCO in text speak, then we are pretty much easy going on here. Only the person at their end of their keyboards know their restrictions and qualities. So it's pretty much down to them

It's good though that guys try and keep the forum in a good condition as the more complete words are wrote the higher Google rank us with regards people searching for articles related to the Royal Marines.

So I do understand both of your points

All the best

GreyWing

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Tin said:
OK mate ill try not let the fact that I'm dyslexia and i lived in south Africa most of my life.
but hay ill try just for you. 8)
Good man :*text deleted*: and thats not an reason tut tut tut

Tin

Reaction score
:*text deleted*:
Ill start typing in Afrikaans if thats any better for people.

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Go on, i want to see what it looks like 8)

Tin

Reaction score
Hallo! Hoe gaan dit?
Praat jy/u Afrikaans?
Nee jy praat Engels?
Ja.

Tin

Reaction score
Hello! How are you?
Do you speak Afrikaans?
no you speak English?
yes

its not that hard 8)

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hang Fire I have unjacked it and the relevant bits to the Jollies Section

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It seems we're all pretty much agreed with regard grammar on the forum - it's not the "be all", but best effort helps everyone understand the poster's intention. From an admin point of view, as long as it can be understood, it's OK. I see little point wasting time & effort bemoaning or demeaning someone's spelling prowess- that's best left to grumpy pensioners with the time to correct society's ills. (On the days they aren't causing havoc with their shopping trollies in supermarkets- but that's a different rant :*text deleted*: ).

Changing tack slighty:

For the RN/RM Recruiting Test there are no allowances made for dyslexia unfortunately. The paper that the test is printed on is pastel coloured & the font is Arial Round, which is meant to assist those with mild dyslexia. The reason that there is no allowance made is because the individual needs to rapidly and accurately receive, understand and pass written & verbally communicated instructions - there is little room for error.

As a point of interest: if an individual fails the Recruiting Test for the RN/RM, the British Army Recruiting Battery (BARB) Test is deemed more user friendly to those suffering from dyslexia as it is computer-based.

southerncomfort

Reaction score
Just wondering if it would be worth while or possible to add a spell checker function to the post editor.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Good point SC,

I'll have a look into it, it does seem possible from a couple of checks I have made so far. Although not sure how hard it is yet, one concern I have is that it might go a bit mental with all the Navy talk, Dobi, threaders to name but 2.

Still nothing that can't be overcome I imagine.

All the best

GW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ooooh Arrrghhh, dunno what you're on about me hearty :*text deleted*:

Evenin' men, Starboard ten, round the bouy & back again, ease to midships, hoist main engines.

Avast behind.

Hmmmn, yep, I begin to see the problem.....

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
:shock: i was just saying cause it takes me longer to read when it's in text speak and im lazy, did not mean to sound like an old man, but its is pretty nifty though having my name in a topic title 8) :*text deleted*: am i really that special :cry:

greenlid

Reaction score
I know what you mean mate :wink: I think it would probably end up being more trouble than its worth, like ninja said I don't think it would reconise half the words and quotes on here.