Postponing interview

IJ5876

Reaction score
Good morning lads,

I hope everyone is getting on well. Quick question about the interview. Is it possible to contact your AFCO and ask to reschedule the interview for a later date or is this likely to leave a negative impression? The reason I ask is that I have been struggling with corps history and knowledge despite spending hours every day studying. My interview is in less than two weeks and I am concerned that I may not be ready in time to give it my best. Because of this, I have been spending the majority of my time focusing on trying to learn the corps history and little time considering how I will answer the more personal questions regarding my current circumstances and past experiences.

I am very keen to crack on with my application and make it to RT, however, I would rather have more time to prepare for the interview and give a good impression than do it sooner and give the impression that I am unprepared. Has anyone else been in this situation or am I overthinking this? Any advice is much appreciated.

Griff149

Reaction score
If you’ve got two weeks mate I’d say that’s plenty.

From my experience, you need to have a good background knowledge on the corps history, Victoria cross winners, training, tests etc, similar to the learning you’d do if you were applying for a company down the high street, but at the same time it’s not just a history test, it’s an interview. Learn as much as you can between now and then to showcase that you have a genuine interest and I’m sure you’ll do fine.

In regards to the personal questions, I’d have some responses planned but at the same time I wouldn’t overthink that element. You’re best off just being completely honest and I’m sure it will all go well!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Is it possible to contact your AFCO and ask to reschedule the interview for a later date or is this likely to leave a negative impression?
If you really don't feel comfortable give your Careers Adviser a call and request a postponement. But "spending hours every day studying" really isn't necessary. Beware of overthinking this.

I am not a Careers Adviser but he or she will only be seeking confirmation that you are basically a well rounded, good egg who has a very basic grasp of Royal Marines history and an understanding of the demanding nature of Recruit Training. There won't be any trick questions.

It's good that you are taking a serious approach and that you obviously want to make the best impression. If I can pick this up from your post I'll wager that your CA will almost certainly reach a similar conclusion at your interview.

By the way, have you seen this?

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/latest-updated-corps-knowledge-pdf.124972/

Relax and enjoy your interview. Best of luck.

SRGJ94

Reaction score
My interview covered mainly motivation for joining, questions regarding the VPJFT+, ROP, the structure of 32 week training program and what the Royal Marines do.

Not much aimed at the history of the core, make sure you know what the commando tests time requirements are also!

Best of luck!