Potential foot sprain/injury

HoldFoldEm

Reaction score
Hello all,

Was recently hiking when I mis-stepped and hurt my foot a bit (mid-foot area), went to physio but didn't get much out of him except saying it's not a ligament tear, so I presume it's either a slight injury to the ligament or something of the sorts.

The pain is in the middle-area of the foot, say drawing a straight line from the 3'rd toe downwards would lead you to the area where the pain is experienced.

I won't get any pain if I don't do anything, say if I haven't trained in a day or two, but once I start running, the next day I can feel it's slightly sensitive when walking on it, so worried about not making it worse.

My question is has anyone had anything similar before? I presume resting it would be the ideal solution for now, would you include or exclude stretching / mobility work for the ankle/foot for the time-being?

Thanks lads!
R

Chelonian

Reaction score
Was recently hiking when I mis-stepped and hurt my foot a bit...
My bold. Can you be more specific about when it happened? Just to give an indication of whether it happened this past weekend or one month ago.

I'm not qualified to diagnose or advise but I've picked up similar niggles over the years. Most suddenly vanish.

physiomum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A few Qs for you @HoldFoldEm.
How long ago did you do it? Is it red or swollen? Have you taken anti inflammatory meds? What number out of 10 is the pain?

HoldFoldEm

Reaction score
My bold. Can you be more specific about when it happened? Just to give an indication of whether it happened this past weekend or one month ago.

I'm not qualified to diagnose or advise but I've picked up similar niggles over the years. Most suddenly vanish.
Hi Chelonian! Sure and thanks -

I was pretty much hiking in an off-path area, so rocks and holes all around and had mis-stepped on one of the rocks, it didn't hurt that moment but at night it started getting a bit more painful, next day it was a bit swollen so cold-compressed, used Voltaren and didn't stress it out for a few days until it felt fine. Went running with the dog once (he was over-excited and just decided to run the last part of the walk, it started hurting and got swollen around the mid-foot area).

Now I'm doing a lot of stretching and mobility work, including ankle mobility but not much running, tried running a 7/10 of a mile on the treadmill yesterday and today it feels slightly off, not painful but it feel like a bone that needs to snap (like cracking your knuckles), which is uncomfortable and makes me apprehensive of placing any pressure on it.

Hopefully it's nothing serious, may lay off the running for the next few weeks. (Bunion surgery coming up on the end of this month, so I'll definitely be off it then :))

HoldFoldEm

Reaction score
A few Qs for you @HoldFoldEm.
How long ago did you do it? Is it red or swollen? Have you taken anti inflammatory meds? What number out of 10 is the pain?
Hello physiomum -

How long ago did you do it? - Couple of weeks ago, let it rest and started hurting again, let it rest even more and tried yesterday to run just a tad and feels uncomfortable.

Is it red or swollen? just a tiny bit swollen, not much and probably not noticeable at a quick glance.

What number out of 10 is the pain? When it was hurting, probably a 5/6 out of 10 but right now its a 0 or 1 out of ten, just uncomfortable and feels like it's at the edge of starting (sort of if i had to run or slightly twist my foot walking on a rock and it would start)

Thank you!

Last edited:

physiomum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @HoldFoldEm
Is the swollen area sore to touch? It is difficult to diagnose online but I’m wondering whether you’ve had a minor sprain of your cuboid joint. If it is this, most settle down by themselves and I would gradually build up your running again but expect some discomfort which should gradually ease.
You could Google this as there are a couple of self manipulation and taping techniques you could try on YouTube. You didn’t say whether you’ve taken any anti-inflammatoires?
If after a couple more weeks of following the above there is no improvement, I would seek help from an experienced MSK or sports physio.

HoldFoldEm

Reaction score
Hi @HoldFoldEm
Is the swollen area sore to touch? It is difficult to diagnose online but I’m wondering whether you’ve had a minor sprain of your cuboid joint. If it is this, most settle down by themselves and I would gradually build up your running again but expect some discomfort which should gradually ease.
You could Google this as there are a couple of self manipulation and taping techniques you could try on YouTube. You didn’t say whether you’ve taken any anti-inflammatoires?
If after a couple more weeks of following the above there is no improvement, I would seek help from an experienced MSK or sports physio.
Hello Physiomum, thank you for the information, I'll have a look through and add any of them I can, if not I'll aska sports physio to re-assess (a different one in this case).

With regards to your queries -

Is the swollen area sore to touch? No not at all, it's inside that hurts when applying pressure, specifically when the movement is like a step forward where the toes touch the ground first.

Re anti-inflammatory cream/drugs - Not really, I just used Voltaren and ice, read somewhere Ibuprofen is usually good for reducing swelling?

Thank you once again and appreciate the insight!
R

physiomum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @HoldFoldEm
I think I’d try a couple of days of ibuprofen regularly, unless of course there are any reasons this is contraindicated for you. Check the packet. Don’t use the Voltarol gel at the same time though.
Hope your foot pain settles soon.