Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Potential Officer Advice 2021

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by zimboi22, Jun 4, 2020.

1. zimboi22

zimboi22 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Morning gents

Looking for some general advice regarding joining the RM as an officer. I'm from Zimbabwe (Brit passport so no eligibility issues) and I'm finishing my last year of school this year with A levels. To be honest I am at a bit of a crossroad whether to go to uni then apply for an officer or just go straight in with A levels. Uni for me would most likely just be drinking and messing around with no interest whatsoever. Was wondering how unheard it is having guys coming straight from school pass the officer training. Regarding fitness, I was a big rugby player consistently waking up at 5 am for rugby fitness, no wear near RM levels but all part of the mental game! Would be grateful for any advice many thanks.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Hey, don't knock it. :)
    But seriously, welcome.

An article in The Globe & Laurel journal a few years back stated that university graduates were more likely to be successful at AIB than those who had not attended university. The advantage was attributed to the three years of independent living most grads experienced. The degree subject was irrelevant whether Music, Theology, Surfing or PPE, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zimboi22

zimboi22 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I appreciate that thank you mate,

I feel independent having attended boarding school and supplying the majority of the funds for this education working jobs in my free time. I understand some need more "life experience" but the student loan is not worth it in my opinion unless going to a prestigious university. Which in my case I won't have the grades for.

sorry about the spelling mistake earlier wrote that this morning haha.

4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Things to remember are that many ORs will have degrees but will have chosen to not become an officer. Additionally, A levels or degree is no guarantee of a place on the batch as competition is extremely fierce and even those passing the POC and AIB fail at final selection.

It's not an easy path, but good luck!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Arguably the 'traditional' university degree education no longer guarantees long term job prospects as it once did. Don't get me wrong; I'm enthusiastic about life-long education but choices should be assessed objectively. Many schools and colleges continue to promote tired attitudes which were more appropriate to the 1960s.

It's worth using the search box here as there are some interesting threads and debates on the dilemma associated with higher education choices.

Also, as mentioned by @Caversham the Royal Marines has a high proportion of Other Rank personnel who are easily academically qualified for Officer.
    I'd suggest rigorously researching both roles; one is not intrinsically better than the other.

Speeling mistake? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Stroll147

Stroll147 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I plan on applying for RM as a young officerin year 12 to join after sixth form (so 2022) as well as applying for uni's so if I don't get in (likely) I can try again after uni! I'd suggest too as then all your eggs are not in one basket.

7. TheRents

TheRents Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Welcome @zimboi22

There have been several threads on this subject recently and good arguments given for both routes.

My lad did not go to uni but spent two years working at various jobs whilst completing his application. Of his second batch almost a third of those who passed out did not have a degree.

Salary and career progression are no different for grad or non grad.

In the end it comes down to the individual, you have to go with your gut. It is perfectly doable!

Best of wishes for whichever route you choose to take.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to echo the comments by @TheRents there is no stereotype template which assures success; no magic formula. Compared to other services the Royal Marines is arguably a crucible of meritocracy for both Officer and Other Rank.

Research the role of Officer; invest time and thought into broadening experience. This doesn't neccessarily mean leading an expedition to summit the highest peak in Antarctica; a year working shifts in a KFC might provide comparable opportunities for development of maturity and judgment.

• Like Like x 2