Potential Royal Marines - Facebook Page

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Alright lads, just one to bear in mind. I've been looking at this page for a while and it seems quite popular amongst applicants.

Im sure many of you are also on the page, but can I just remind people the importance of PERSEC. Several posts recently have included full addresses or even maps from Strava etc. Bear in mind that there is no vetting process on the page and you don't know who is viewing your information. I have easily identified members of this forum simply by matching a few posts.

Despite the flurry of repeated questions and sarcastic replies from 15 year old nobodies, its not a bad page, but lads just be careful about what you post and comment on there. Personally I'd advise making the most of the anonymity that this forum provides. You're literally gifting training teams access to all of your social media which may bite you in the backside in the future.

For all those spectating in the shadows on here and prefer the FB page, get stuck in on here.

Cheers

Ninja's head of forum recruitment. (I joke).

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
As usual, an absolutely fantastic post by @Rob20

Depending on how much you share online and what your privacy settings are, identity thieves can extract personal information from social media profiles or posts in order to commit crimes. Unfortunately, in my day job, I’ve personally seen a surge in online fraud. Particularly during lockdown. These crimes have ranged from using someone’s personal details to apply for credit, driver’s licences or even passports! There was also a case a number of years ago that a scam artist infiltrated a WhatsApp group set up by some Army recruits- thankfully it wasn’t of a sinister nature. Although it still was very concerning. There are also recent examples of fraudsters using information online to fabricate military service in order to defraud people.

But an even more important point is that as potential members of the Armed Forces, you really do need to pay attention to your personal security. The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) analyses and assesses all intelligence relating to terrorism, at home and overseas. JTAC recognise that there are individuals and groups that seek to destabilise the UK through the tactical use of violence, targeting members of the Armed Forces and other security personnel as well as seeking to cause disruption and economic damage. The threat to the UK from terrorism is SUBSTANTIAL. The threat to Northern Ireland from Northern Ireland-related terrorism is SEVERE.
As @Rob20 says, use the anonymity this forum affords you. It keeps us all safe!
Let’s not make ourselves easy targets.

More here https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/security-brief-read-before-posting-joining.120861/

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Joined and left that page in the same breath; the amount of horrendous stuff that gets churned out, plus a serving mate was quick to show me how many screenshots of it have made it into some of his groupchats. Definitely wouldn't be a good start to a career if someone's been one of the gobbier members! Not dissimilar to the old 'RM Training Partners' group that was big around 2010-2012 but basically became a trolling page. (Really showing how long it's been since I was in training the first time haha).

The relative anonymity of this forum is a big positive (even though I wouldn't consider myself gobby and don't mind certain people knowing this is my account). It not only affords a decent amount of PERSEC but it also affords some protection from too much ridicule if you do say something a bit 'off'.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Some of the worst PERSEC blunders are courtesy of the MOD or at least aided by it. A classic one recently was a set of photographs posted on the official Parachute Regiment FB page:

A professional photographer compiled a nicely atmospheric set of images depicting blokes from 2 PARA in a jungle training environment. The images permitted public comments and one of an NCO reading a map attracted the comment "So proud of you son!"

From there it took about three clicks to identify the NCO, his wife and their two children via the old boy's FB page. The children's school and a fair idea of their home address was all there too.

The NCO's personal social media accounts were tightly locked but if someone with sinister intentions seeks a back door it can be found.

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I left not long after joining that group, the amount of lads that expose there actual address and running routes is unreal. You can literally click on someone’s profile and find out all sorts about someone like you said. People should really take a look at their privacy settings.

Some people really show themselves up as well with what they’re posting, I prefer to keep my cards close to my chest until I’m actually in then form an impression, and hopefully a good one at that. Last thing you want is your future TT picking things up on you before you’ve even started.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
What’s the name of the Royal Marines page?

Only one I’ve ever been on is the RMX one where they do similar to RMAD

Rob20

Reaction score
What’s the name of the Royal Marines page?

Only one I’ve ever been on is the RMX one where they do similar to RMAD

Potential Royal Marines Community

Strap yourself in for the advice from all the lads who know it all-banghead-.

Also, one that really grips me is kids who haven't even applied making "in jokes".

"What Spec does everyone want to join?"
"oooh I want to be a dolphin trainer" "no im joining the underwater knife fighters"

Honestly, it really breaks me.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Potential Royal Marines Community

Strap yourself in for the advice from all the lads who know it all-banghead-.

Also, one that really grips me is kids who haven't even applied making "in jokes".

"What Spec does everyone want to join?"
"oooh I want to be a dolphin trainer" "no im joining the underwater knife fighters"

Honestly, it really breaks me.

haha I’ll have to have a look just for the fun of it!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Personally, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with FB. A potential force for good if you use it purely for genuine friends, a total cluster and world of hurt if you mistakenly think groups, closed or otherwise, are a safe haven. They certainly aren't.

The main thing is, if you are going to use it for a potential job and make comments, bear in mind most people unwisely use an account in their real name.

DON'T!

End of.

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Why are applicants not explicitly warned right at the beginning of the application process? I remember having chats with my CA and the topic of PERSEC came up but nothing too detailed...

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Why are applicants not explicitly warned right at the beginning of the application process? I remember having chats with my CA and the topic of PERSEC came up but nothing too detailed...

I expect they are warned but at the same time it’s an age thing more than anything.

All you see these days is youngsters taking photos of everything Snapchat , Twitter , Facebook anything to do with social media or trying to look cool to your friends is the norm these days I remember when I was at age 16 to 20 there was none of this closest thing I had to social media at the time was Bebo and unless your 25+ at leat probably haven’t heard of it! Ha

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
1973 Belfast.

Four off-duty British Army sergeants were out on the town. During the night two attractive females in their early 20s befriended the four sergeants in a Belfast pub. Ignoring personal security guidance, reports indicated that during the course of the conversation the four soldiers began telling the girls about their jobs. The spirits were high and the girls were very excited to hear all the tales of daring do. One soldier even began flashing his Army ID to the girls.

The two women told the soldiers that they were having a house party the following weekend and the six arranged to meet up.

The following Saturday night the four off-duty sergeants, all unarmed , met the two young women in a Belfast bar and shared a few drinks. After a few drinks the girls, then told the sergeants that more women would be at the party and they promptly set off. The party was within the out of bounds area for off duty service personnel but the four SNCO’s ignored this and carried on. The four men entered the house and made themselves at home. More alcohol provided and loud music was played. Shortly after they arrived one girl said she was going out to bring more women back with her. She then left. The remaining girl then excused herself and went to the upstairs bathroom, leaving the four men in the kitchen.

Moments later two men wearing balaclavas burst into the kitchen, one had a sub machine gun and the other was carrying a pistol. The soldiers were ordered to lie face down as the gunmen fired shots into their heads one at a time. Two of the sergeants died instantly, one died a few hours later in hospital and one survived with life changing injuries. It is his account that allowed for such detailed information.

I have a relative, who was serving in the RUC, that attended the scene and he still struggles with it to this day. The times may be different but the lessons remain the same. Consider what form the girls in the bar could take now... A chilling but vital lesson on Persec.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Truth is, the majority who state they wish to become a Royal Marines Commando, actually don't.

The problem, from an AFCO perspective, is they are not yet serving so they cannot issue categoric orders to everyone with that aspiration. The odd thing is, those who wish to shout it from the rooftops tend to be those least likely to achieve their professed aim.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I think another one to point out is, lads who have passed out, unless retired, do not post photos of themselves at work. Or hashtag Royal Marines etc. It’s just not really done apart from the first pass out photo. Anything more than that, that I have seen usually winds up with the culprit having the p*^€ ripped out of him for a couple of days.

Rob20

Reaction score
Exactly the same as wearing RM clobber anywhere other than a phys session. Ooooh your a royal marine are you ;);)

I keep it all quite simple, my social media is all on the highest privacy settings and I only accept people I personally know, I'm not on the hunt for 104627 followers on instagram. Can't go wrong.

(although all those supermodels wanting to send me a message is very tempting :eek:)

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Exactly the same as wearing RM clobber anywhere other than a phys session. Ooooh your a royal marine are you ;);)

I agree. I have a green Polo shirt with a G&L on it, which only ever came out for the RMA reunion in September. The only exception being the USMC museum at their base at Quantico. Had to be done there! :D :D :D

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
Aside from being a bit cheesy, if one wears unit-branded kit while out for a run in a civilian environment the pressure is on to be visibly fitter than everyone else.
Don't be the bloke who stops and gasps halfway up a hill and is immediately passed by the senior citizens' yoga club! -banghead-

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Lads on there, not in training yet, let alone passed out doing phys YouTube tutorials, get in the bin.
I have actually put out a post on here about lads “documenting their fitness journey to becoming a commando”. Basically saying stop doing it. Training teams will find it and make things uncomfortable.