Power Bag and Leg Training

Luke_efc

Reaction score
Wow! my friend introduced me to these in my local gym, i had seen them before but just thought they would not be useful. However, how wrong i was! (they are a sand-bag like object) He showed me a great circuit which i can still feel in my legs, 3 days later !

It is as follows:
- Clean and press using the handles (20 reps) , use whichever weight you feel comfortable, usually in the weight of 10kg, 15kg, 20kg and 25kg.
- Down on the floor with 20 press ups.
- Lie down in a bridge position with the bag under you, and pull either side with one arm, 20 a side.
- 30 crunches
- get the bag behind your neck and squat(20 reps)
-10 burpies( the killer )
No rest between exercises just get it done and 2.5 minuets rest between circuits.

I found this circuit very good, especially just as i am getting into circuit training as i usually just weight train which i am slowly getting out of the habit of.

A quick question, do any of you train your legs with weight ? if so, what do you do ? e.g squats? leg press? thanks, hope this helps!

Batman

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I have a bergen which i use while walking on Dartmoor (which is leg training in itself). I sometimes load a few books into it if i'm doing squats. I would use it for burpees as well but it's a bit too restrictive.

S

stokey_14

I use a sandbag... basically a power bag without straps, the reason being it is works grip better and makes it a who lot more tougher to lift.

As for leg work, squats are the staple (front, back, body weight, jump etc) then walking lunges and/or step ups finally my legs also get hit when i deadlift, hill sprint or do other body weight exercises like burpees.

Focusing on boxing currently so don't have to much time to invest in straight strength work, though this'll change mid next year probably.

Stokey

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
At a Muay Thai Gym i attend they have power bags!

Are they effective?

All i can say is that when ever i hear the words "pick a bag". I pee myself a little.

They seem to be good for anything you name it! Legs all ways hurt the next day!.

Although not really leg orientated...we do these things called 'round the world' with them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drUiJ84I6OE

Great core exercise! Plus if your a tool like me its a great face exercise!

Luke_efc

Reaction score
Going to start using these a lot more often the ones in out gym say Jordan or something along the side

DPS

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So easy to make your own, here's mine...

25kg bag of sand - ?1.81 - B&Q
Pack of rubble sacks - ?3 - B&Q
25m roll of duct tape - ?6 - Tesco
I splashed out and went fancy on velcro strap handles I found in the bargain bin at B&Q, not a mandatory component.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
This one I made, added handles by rolling the duct tape!

Total cost- around ?5

Attachments

ryan354

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Picture isn't working so here's a link http://i.imgur.com/nvNQH.jpg

Which also won't work. Anyway it looks quite impressive and only took half an hour.
Dude that's awesome, that looks almost on a par with the gym power bags apart from it hasn't got a fancy reebok logo. How did you secure the handles on to the side, just more tape ?

DPS

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Dude that's awesome, that looks almost on a par with the gym power bags apart from it hasn't got a fancy reebok logo. How did you secure the handles on to the side, just more tape ?
They were a strap handle I got lucky in finding for cheap, they're velcro so just wrap around and stick to them selves, the extra tape over the top was just to stop them sliding off the ends. I only made it a couple of days ago and it's already proved its worth!

You could try and make up some handles by doing either what OMM has said or originally I was going to wrap some blue rope around it and then tape over that. Failing either of those you could disect a retired rucksack for the straps and make something out of those. Be imaginative and you can make anything.

EDIT- You have to be watching TOWIE Live to do any of this.

Luke_efc

Reaction score
Wow ! They are very impressive ! Amazing how much you can save compared to branded gym equipment

JumpingJack

Reaction score
do you reckon i could make one out of this?

http://wiglu.com/cool/leisure/main/overboard-waterproof-dry-tube-bag.jpeg

I was in thailand recently, and i done a PADI open water dive course and brought one of these for a fiver to keep my stuff dry on the boat. Now I'm back in england and i have literally no use for it. Its decent quality thickness and i doubt it will leak sand if it's waterproof.

If i throw in some sand (luckily my brother works on the road so i'll nick some off his lorry), seal the bag and attach the handles from an old backpack somehow and i might have a cheap power bag.

what do you reckon? I'll start doing it now and fill you in with how i get on later.

M2011

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
my equivalent of a power bag is throwing old dumbbell weight plates in a towel in a rucksack haha :D

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like a trip to B&Q for me in the morning! Appreciate that you bumped this @Harry McRunFast been after a sandbag but refuse to pay the COVID tax that is now on anything fitness related, cheers!