Powerlifting in the RM

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been into powerlifting for about 2/3 years and it’s something I genuinely enjoy but for obvious reasons I’ve had to tone it down to fit around my current aspirations, work and my training plan so it leaves little time for it.

Getting to the point, is there a powerlifting team in the Corps and if so what level do they compete at?

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been into powerlifting for about 2/3 years and it’s something I genuinely enjoy but for obvious reasons I’ve had to tone it down to fit around my current aspirations, work and my training plan so it leaves little time for it.

Getting to the point, is there a powerlifting team in the Corps and if so what level do they compete at?
Correct me if im wrong, I think I was told in the past that the military can sponsor you to compete in a sport up to Olympic level?
I don’t know if they SPONSOR you, but I heard somewhere there is an opportunity to compete in sport at very high levels. As for there being an actual powerlifting team in the corps, I personally have no idea.

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think I was told in the past that the military can sponsor you to compete in a sport up to Olympic level?
I don’t know if they SPONSOR you, but I heard somewhere there is an opportunity to compete in sport at very high levels. As for there being an actual powerlifting team in the corps, I personally have no idea.

Yeah I heard that, think there was a bootie in the Rio Olympics back in March, not sure what it was for though.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You can do almost ANY sport in the military, just tell your CoC then it is up to your skill and prowess to reach high levels with it

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I’m not sure if there’s a powerlifting team in the RM, maybe the RN. However there is a lot of it going on at unit level. Seen a few powerlifting competitions at a couple of units.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think I was told in the past that the military can sponsor you to compete in a sport up to Olympic level?

If you're very skilled at a niche, minority sport and the MoD sees an opportunity for positive publicity there is a reasonable probability that it will support specific training in exchange for cashing in on the reflected glory associated with high profile medal wins. The downside—arguably—is that one's PERSEC is binned.

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
I can confirm there is a Navy Powerlifting team. One of my oppos is the British Powerlifting champion and simultaneously a Bootneck chef.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I could lift 260kg... not together, but definitely like 15kg at a time. Dude is a beast! Still fancy my chances of running away mind, should the time come.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
News Commando in 400 tonne powerlifting attempt - This is Plymouth Military News and Clips 0

New Threads