Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

PRAC 03/02/20 - 06/02/20 FAIL

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by SpartanKB, Feb 8, 2020.

1. SpartanKB

SpartanKB Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I haven’t seen any prac diaries posted anywhere in a while and I enjoyed reading them before prac as it gave me an insight of what to expect. However the course is pretty different now as the army are phasing out a lot of old stuff. Before I start I’ll put it out there that I failed pretty miserably, and got some shocking times on the 2km and steeplechase. I’ll start with the day by day and then move on to pointers at the end.

DAY 1

Arrived at Darlington about 15:20 and immediately saw some lads in suits with luggage, it’s obvious who’s there for PRAC. We waited about 30 minutes for the corporals to show up and stick us on the coach. We set off to catterick about 16:30. When we got to vimy barracks we got our bags and put them in the TV room, before going up to prac block. We got issued our kit which consisted of a short and long sleeve t-shirt, a maroon prac jumper, combats, boots, bib, hi vis belt and a water bottle. We got changed into this and then marched down to helles barracks which is where we were staying due to there being a fair few of us. Dropped off our kit and went back up to vimy for dinner. Food is pretty decent there, and I’d advise packing some in for the 4 miler on day 2. Then we went straight back down and had an introductory briefing, before having the evening to sit around and meet everyone and get to know them.

DAY 2

Up at 5am, shower, shave and into our issued kit to be lined up in the corridor at 5:45 with a full bottle and a full mug of water. We then necked the mug before ranking up outside. Got a bollocking for leaving the lights on. Marched back up to vimy for breakfast which is pretty much a full English and porridge everyday. Then it was straight back down to the block to get into your PT rig, before shooting back up to vimy for the 4 miler. We had some massive Aussie bloke who looked like could lift a tank. After a short warm up and quick lesson on commands, we set off at a decent pace. If you live anywhere like Essex like I do, prepare for hell. I don’t care where you live, the terrain in catterick is nails. You won’t be prepared for it so get running on the nastiest hills you can find. Pretty much all of the ground is made of loose rocks which just makes it harder. After about a mile or so we hit the first sprint area. It’s about 250 meters long, with about a 30 meter dip in the middle. You’ll run down and up and stop at the top for a quick second. You’ll then do “don’t be last”, and run down it and back again. On my course it didn’t matter if you were last because everyone done it again anyway. We lost 2 lads to the wagon here. Then we set off again before hitting the land of nod. A lot of you will have probably heard of this one, and you won’t understand how bad it is until you do it. One lad threw up on this and ended up in the wagon. Not long after this the PTI picked up the pace and everyone soon spread apart. I was near the back. You’ll need to dig deep on this one no matter how fit you are and just crack on, because I still passed this event with green. We got to the end of the route and then stopped at the bottom of another not so nice looking hill. If you don’t remember the names of the hills (which you won’t unless you were stood next to the PTI as you can’t hear him) then you’ll do a sprint for each one, and maybe one for the queen. In total 6 lads dropped off on the 4 miler. The rest of the day is filled with briefs and the sorts.

DAY 3

Up at 5am again, same morning routine. After breakfast it was pt rig again and up to the gymnasium. This time we had a Ghurka who was a bit more friendly that the previous PTI. We done a gentle warm up and done the gym tests which are now the mid thigh pull and 4kg medicine ball throw. Then set off for the 2km run. This threw a lot of lads off. It’s on the same terrain as the 4 miler, and you’ll run the route once in the warm up and then again best effort. So train to do it twice over as the warm up lap is a fast jog. The route isn’t easy but it’s not horrible either. But it’s nothing like what you’ll run at assessment centre. I got 9:04 on this and I have no excuses. Just a poor effort and not enough preparation really. You won’t get told your scores until day 4. Later that day we spoke to some recruits in fox company and looked at some weapon systems, and also did some team tasks. We got a right bollocking for lads being *text deleted* stains before moving onto them. The other team beat us and chose a 2 min press up hold as our punishment. The corporals told them if they joined us then it’d only be one minute for all of us, so they did. That one minute lasted about 6 minutes.

DAY 4

Same morning routine as every other day, before setting off for the steeplechase. We got a 'extra phys' here for everyone being *text deleted* stains again, and had to sprint up and down a 150m hill about 5 times. Then we set off for the warm up lap. We stopped again for a press up hold 'extra phys' as some lads are just dickheads, then set off again. To be honest by this point I wanted to give in. I knew I’d done bad at the run and I was struggling with just the warm up and it was starting to play on my mind. The water was frozen solid so we had to run through it to break it up. We made it round before taking a short walk to the start of the course. We then set off with not really any rest and I was hanging out before I’d even reached the first hurdle. I fell behind pretty quick and the lad next to me jacked it in and told the sergeant he was done. More mental battles to fight. I trotted on at a pretty pathetic pace around the whole course, and the sergeant was pretty much walking alongside me. I refused to give in and dragged my hefty arse around the 1.9 miles all the way round to the end. And the first thing the meanest PTI I’ve ever met said to me at the end was “*text deleted* the time, least you finished the course” referring to the lad who’d VWd. The training team will respect you much more and pick up on the fact that you put the effort in even when you’re hanging out your arse. I got 20:24 which again was shite. I took it on the chin in the interview and took my training programme happily as I knew it would help for next time. We then packed our stuff and got the coach back to Darlington. Just remember that if you quit, you’ll regret it. And if you finish it but fail, you’ll have the experience to beat it next time.

Pointers

• it’s tempting to eat a full English everyday but honestly it’ll make phys pretty hard on day 3 and 4
    • Do everything the corporals say or they will make it hell for you
    • Remember they test your determination and drive as much as the fitness
    • Finish everything, even if you’re crawling
    • Do all your training on hills and do as much leg endurance work as your can
    • Hill sprints

Scores

4 miler - Green pass

Ball throw - 4.6m pass

Mid thigh pull - 166kg pass

2km run - 9:04 fail (needed 8:15)

Steeplechase - 20:24 fail (needed 18:30)

Can only go up from the bottom lads and I’ll be training a lot for the next 2-3 months before giving it another crack hopefully for a pass. Ask away any questions you want

• Like Like x 7
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to post. Hearing the experiences of others when things go wrong is arguably more informative for those who follow than hearing about success.

Undoubtedly you will smash it. Were you given a minimum wait time before your next PRAC?

• Like Like x 2
  3. SpartanKB

SpartanKB Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thanks for taking the time to give it a read, hopefully I’ll grab a pass next time if I put the effort in now. They said not to return within 4 weeks which I assumed would be a given anyway. I haven’t requested a specific date yet as I’d like to make sure I’m fully prepared before retaking it

• Like Like x 3
  4. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Two words stood out for me in that entire post. Next time. Take what you've experienced as a learning curve and get yourself back there.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 4
  5. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Lusty is right. Step back, learn from it and crack on.

Best of luck and thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service

I had no idea you were on this forum. Bit weird they put the steeplchase time up from 18 mins.
    Its changed a little except the 4 miler glad to see a new prac so I can help others with new information. The steeplechase is hard by p company youll do the first part in 16 minutes before the assault course.
    You are right there Essex is very flat capbadge hill in colchester is about the length of nod. Weird thing is Catterick 10 miler is personaly easier than Colchesters due to you have to run most of colchester for the minimum test time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SpartanKB

SpartanKB Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Where do I know you outside of this forum? Yeah the steeplechase was probably the hardest part of the course in my opinion, but more because it’s pass or fail whereas the 4 miler is just a hangout until the PTI says stop. I don’t live too far from Colchester so I might see if I can give that hill a crack, or is it on military grounds?

8. Wings

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Dont believe you know me. No capbadge hill is public

• Like Like x 1
  9. SpartanKB

SpartanKB Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I’ll have to get myself over there then. I was confused because you started with “I had no idea you were on this forum” and I wasn’t sure what you meant by it haha

10. SpartanKB

SpartanKB Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Where abouts is cap badge hill? It’s not the long one that goes right trough the town centre is it?

11. Wings

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Its not in the town centre but just the outskirts its after 1 round about

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. jkaratekings

jkaratekings Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So PRAC has no press-up or sit-up tests anymore?

13. SpartanKB

SpartanKB Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Not any more no, the new gym tests are more specific to what they want from you, but they’re very easy to pass. I think the 4kg seated ball throw min is 3.2m and the deadlift min is somewhere around 75kg. Although I believe it’s in the 90’s if you’re going for royal engineers as they’ve carry a lot of heavy kit

14. SpartanKB

SpartanKB Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Yeah I know the hill, thinking about it the colchester area does have a couple of good spots for hills. I’ll get my self training on them as soon as my legs have recovered from PRAC

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wings

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Its just parts of the army pes test

• Like Like x 1