Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRAC 25-27th April 2017 - Pass

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by Wings, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Right guys after a while being on the forum I finally get to write my own diary - its going to be long as other diaries are such a massive help and without reading them or getting information off ShadowFrog I would have been lost. Thank you to anyone who helped me in anyway. And if you pass an assesment get one up they are so helpful.
    My stats;
    1.5 miler 9.48
    Push ups 53 Sit ups 63
    Steeple Chase 17.07 minutes
    4 miler - passed
    - First thing those who do PRMC's be proud of how much you train most of you do 2 sessions a day 5 days a week thats a great feat to do. I did 3-4 sessions a week 3 heavy 1 light some weeks was just 3 and doing 2 sessions a day 5 days a week plus working is really good going.
    DAY ONE 25th
    Went to Darlington station at 11.30 pick up was 12.30
    There was 15 on the course one retry who waited 6 weeks to start from his last.
    Unlike ADSC the staff are like the PRMC in full mode, mind games and give you a good telling off for a anything, literally.
    We got on the bus and received a packed lunch had a brief talk from course CPL saying this is an assesment this is our choice to prove we belong here. Got too Catterick garrison got off got into ranks of 3 and walked too accomidation. The accomidation had shower rooms toilets 10 man rooms a cleaning room and drying room. You are in the Gurkhas block which is cool because they are very loud in parade and you can see them a lot. Upon arrival we got told the old "Corridor drop what you're doing and get in line" - usually happened 5 times a day there was no extrs phys as no one was too slow.
    Next we got our kit, you receive; two mtp trousers one rain jacket one helmet one pair of boots one short and one long running top. Do not bring your own socks for boots they give you theirs and dont let you use your own. We had too polish the boots and walk in them when we had chance mine were proper tight on my toes. So first day we got changed into our running kit with our bibs for a brief medical. Then straight too the gym which as a group we marched towards. Most of our exercises we were joined by potential officers and those who have been injured. So we took off our PRAC jumpers issued did push ups first had go down to a fist. Unlike PRMC push ups we can stop and shake our arms. Sit ups, we have arms on the chest all conducted in two minutes. Only two got just below 50.
    1.5 miler - People do not lie when they say Catterick is a hard route for me personally the 1.5 miler was the hardest test there mentally and like marines you do it as a group and with those 2 hills the warm up was definitely a heavy breathing one. The route has two hills one gradual one steep 100metre at the end. We did a different route too what most people have done as it was a new route as said the para's in training and they admitted it was a tough and harder than the one they usually do. We went around the 1.5 miler twice so its 3 hills you do as they take a small section off at the end, luckily it was that horrid hill. Apparently though they are considering changing it too a flatter route as to be honest my 9.47 was a shame as I usually get 9.10-9.20. I was ridiculously nervous for this but it definitely was an eye opener for training. After this we marched back and had a shower theres only two showers so be fast! Then got changed had a quick corridor and marched too the dining hall or "scoff" if you go on a PRAC keep your eyes forward and act like you're in training keep a tight marching group and dont talk they will give you a good shout if you do. Food was good, great selection plenty of healthy options and we got around 10 minutes to eat it then its run outside 3 ranks back too block. From 6pm the time was ours we only had too mop the floors showers toilets corridors polish our boots and keep our floors clean. We went to bed at 9pm got ourselves up at 5am. We shaved each morning and at 6am theres a water parade you have a cup of water and its advised to drink it all.
    Wednesday 26th
    Up at 5am 6am corridor is shouted water parade, food had 1 hour 30 to prepare after food as the steeple chase pti was a little late. Steeple chase is regarded as the hardest for PRAC I mean it was definitely a hard run but mentally for me 1.5 miler was the worst still.
    We had to wear our mtp pants our boots our long sleeve tops PRAC jumpers and heavy waterproof jacket and the helmet. We had an inspection to make sure our water bottles were full - fill them to the top guys! We then marched up too the gates were most phys is done onto the field. We had the YO and injured para potentials with us again. So in all that gear we did a "warm up" on the field. You do steeple chase twice. Once as a group trying every obstacle each some are 3 foot deep water obstacles so you are heavy first go around. But its only 1.8 miles remember that! The course has one big hill and one gradual uphill part ,and a lot of up and down terrain as well. Once we got back off the first run we strip to long sleeve top helmet pants boots most of us were soacked from just below hips down. You start on basically a football field and you lie on your belt buckle and start from a push off, there was 5 staff members around watching us one who had a huge powerful voice and you just think christ alive I'll do whatever you ask pal haha. So off we went at a full pelt sprint across the field into the woods. I was near the front but my laces came bleeding undone and they told me straight away to get them tied was gutted as I ended up at the back. However I soon got quite far ahead of the bunch and near the front. the obstacles are mainly stomach high fences big logs you jump on and push off and 5 water obstacles. You do feel very heavy legged as the first water obstacle is say 2-3 minutes in, its a run through the water and up a big step then over a rather big hurdle. The other water obstacles were the running on wooden steps that are lifted out the ground into 3 foot deep water I unfortunately fell all the way in and thought " oh christ more weight!" My shoe actually half came off after getting out the water and both of my laces came undone less than halfway throughit was uncomfortable to say the least as i didnt re-tie them! The rest is running and pushing through, felt good passing the injured paras even though they were just coming out of being injured! I honestly thought I was near the back of our group as I had a CPL absolutely howling at me to start sprinting after the last water obstacle near the end, turns out I came 4th of the 15 and got a really good time of 17.07 which the staff said is great. Oh also you get no information of your score until the end if you ask you'll get slammed! The big voiced staff 100% made sure we knew that, oh aye :).
    After steeple we march back too block got showered back into mtp gear. We had a presentation on taking care of ourselves and training and P Company. After this food then we had time to revise for a written test. It isnt the end of the world but its mainly on battle honours and vc winners Get them good and your fine. After that they brought 3 guns in l85a2 LMG and GPM we got to look at them and ask questions. The last part after tea was we got to meat recruits at week 18 and ask any questions which was briliant as the staff leave us and they give you all the honesty and tell you everything you need. I didnt realise Paras get more money than regular infantry so ask them anything. You may benefit.
    Usual block jobs then bed again for 3rd day
    Thursday 27th
    Woke up clean shave food put all used kit in piles into running kit for 4 miler. I was nervous to say the least I was so nervous all 3 days it was pretty nasty. So 4 miler we marched too the usual area for phys. The whole area is an up and down route. You run as a unit. The staff give you specific instructions if you forget the names of the hills or get the area names wrong, you get beasted for it at the end. Theres 5 big hills and you sprint 4 of them the rest is with the group at a reasonable pace around 8-9 min mile behind the staff. The regular hills are fairly steep the first one (i wont say the hill names on here) wasnt to big. We did it then waited at the top we had to shout on the top of our voice when the last man came in, if not we get beasted. After the first hill you do the next named hill as a group on your tip toes as a fairly slow pace and as your legs are heavy from the steeple chase they burn. After that the run is onto the land of nod. Theres two hills big and small as a group you run up the little hill which is proper muddy and rocky. Then down and up the big one which is the steepest hill ive ever ran up. It isn't unbelievably long but there are two points were you stumble because of the big rocks and the steepness. After doing it as a unit you run down then get on your belt buckles around 50 feet from the big sprint and push off and the staff are all shouting get the heck up there ( i say heck but their language was more colourful ) I usally got up the hill near around 4th or 5th on the individual best efforts. Someone fell over infront of me I had to jump over him and man that made my legs strain. After that we got our drinks from the ambulance that followed us closely and had a brief water break say 1 minute. Then for say 2 miles we ran as a troop and there was a few hills that we did but nothing as uphill as the land of nod. We got near the end and theres the last hill. We all did 4 burpee high knee tucks and then sprinted the last hill then down with all the staff giving us some egging on. 3 people in our group struggled and they caught onto it. They were at the back most of the runs and they played mind games to get them to quit. No one wrapped however. The last hill wasnt that steep it was the fact that the other guys messed up 4 times and each time we had to do 4 burpees and race up to the top as fast as we could. But when that was done it was a small 0.4 mile give or take run back and then stretch off. Then it was a jog back as a group then shower and a proper thorough block clean. Whilst this happened they called people in. I was first it wasnt a big interview just basic questions like how did you find it. Then I got told I had passed and they told me my scored. I asked about the 1.5 miler as I did fail the 1.5 miler as it wasnt under 9.30, he said it wasnt a huge fail and because of my steeple chase time which is more important I passed. After that more cleaning then journey home.
    5 guys failed our course of 15.
    Two failed the 1.5 miler by far to much like 11 minutes or more.
    The second attempt guy failed steeple chase last time and failed his 1.5 miler steeplechase and was picked up on the 4 miler for being a bit slow. He had 6 weeks too improve and he didnt and felt the reality of it.
    Both 1.5 failures failed the steeple chase as well.
    Last one failed 4 miler but only just passed everything else.

Tips:
    Training dont bother with loads of weights maybe one session a week
    Hill sprints of course
    Do running on none road surfaces terrain as all of it is not on amazing surface of the road.
    Leg work
    Do a boot run say a mile on the grass somewhere get yourself used to it.

And thats it, I hope you enjoyed the insight into PRAC and hopefully this wil help.
    I plan to start RT in August
    Any questions?

• Like Like x 18
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. EdV

EdV Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    No questions from me but great effort, glad you passed it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Oh and the test i got 89% on

4. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Thank you they have a way of making you feel youve failed when really your doing alright like my steeplechase

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Congratulations on your pass @aliB
    Never had the slightest doubt you'd smash it.
    And thanks for taking the time to write up the diary. No PRAC in my day. They took my pulse, squeezed my testicles, and then issued me a rail travel warrant to Aldershot!

It's a tried and tested way to identify those individuals who can't handle disappointment. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Congratulations on a great achievement!! Good luck for RT, don't wrap! And the feeling you'll experience when you pass out, will live with you forever!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Kind words guys thank you. Yeah i thought even if this helps one guy relax or feel better for prac ive done good

• Like Like x 3
  8. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Oh aye gives you the heebie jeebies they proper layed into this one guy on the 4 miler they were speaking near him saying ahh this number 12 has got no chance of passing etc

9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Get used to that!! :D

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Is there anyone else in application for the army on here?

11. RoyalBoot

RoyalBoot Royal Marines Commando

Been on a PRAC already mate but got sent back due to not having any med docs, so medical booked for a couple of weeks then got PRAC again.

Well done for the pass, you been given a date yet?

12. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

I asked for august time but only september dates available so 10th i requested. I got a D+ on my prac which is a shame and bit confusing as I got one D which was 1.5 miler the rest was B push ups B steeple chase but for admin attitude I got a C and I feel a little confused as I was one who mopped the floors worked as a team and didnt give any lip so I am a bit gutted. I got a C for push ups as well. So I though a C would have been fairer but oh well ill have go prove them wrong

13. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Well done mate, great effort and well done on the write up.

Best of luck with the course, you'll smash it and hopefully another write up later on about how you passed the full course? :)

14. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Aye thanks for that it wasnt written the best, was pretty excited to get it written up bit gutted I got graded D+ I felt better than that C atleast. I do plan on keeping contact here as it helped me so much and hopefully this can attract potential paras to make a wider forum. And yeah hopefully next year at somepoint I will have passed out and be in Colchester writing a pass out parade memoir

• Like Like x 1
  15. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Honestly! Don't worry! You passed, that's what matters. Being In the military is all about giving 100% to the task! That's all anyone can ask. You did that and came away with a pass! It's also an opportunity to improve from in RT! If you got sub 8 min on the BFT and sub 15 on the steeplechase. Then your TT would be looking for improvement! You didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Make up for it In RT and impress where it really counts!!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I hate training, can't wait to leave. Already injured ripped my ligaments and the training team are still making me carry on.
    I'm up A&E today getting it sorted.

Can't leave into week five.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Top effort @aliB, well done!

You'll be fine! Trust me, I'm a Stoker. Not quite a Doctor, but pretty similar in many respects :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

An injury early into RT knocks confidence. This is where you need to dig deep, put side disappointment and crack on. And remember to play the game. Your TT is currently trying to weed out the lads who really don't want to be there. It's nothing personal.

My advice? You'll have a clinical diagnosis when you get back from A&E. March (or limp) into your TT's office and firmly request that you be permitted to continue training with your Recruit Platoon. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  19. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Don't quit!!

You've worked too hard for this and you're just angry with yourself for picking up an injury!!

If you get put into the medical remedial wing, use the time to catch up on where you feel you're struggling, recover and get fitter to pass this course!!

Like the RMs, if it was easy, everyone would be joining!!

Stop, think and remember, it's meant to be hard!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Yeah these will be the toughest weeks mate as they all say

• Like Like x 1