Prac diary - fail

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by laughinqlad19, Oct 19, 2018.

1. laughinqlad19

laughinqlad19 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Well lads, enjoyed reading the prac diary's from before so i thought i should stick one up. I had a bit of a shocker if i'm being honest. I should have postponed it as i had a nasty chest infection that lasted for about 3 weeks up to a week before i was due to start the course and even on the course i had a lot of phlegm so i deffo wasn't near the standard that i should have been. I was just so eager to get on the course. Completely my own fault for being stupid.
    Monday
    This was the first of a new format of course that starts on a Monday to allow for a full day of travel. I had an early start at 2.30am from limerick to get the bus to Dublin. From there i flew to Manchester and got the train to Darlington. I met up with a few up of the other lads on the course and we had a bit of a wait for the corpral to pick us up. When we go there we picked up all the kit we needed for the week. We then had a briefing about the course and the paras in general. Got an early night after that.
    Tuesday
    We had an early start about 5.30 We then had a shower and shave and went to breakfast . When we got back we cleaned the block and then marched to the gym. We had a bit of a wait for the pti to turn up tgen we went on a 4 miler. after a quick warm up We started off at a steady enough run. We then hit a small hill which the pti sprinted up. We had some other hills which we usually sprinted up. We then came to a place called the land of nod. This is where i started to fall behind. After that i was well behind the pack and the corpral was running with me asking if i wanted to get in the jack wagon. I kept refusing but my lungs were so full of phlegm i just couldn't catch up with the pack. I eventually managed to catch up when they stopped for water and stayed with it for the rest of the run. We had a false ending when we got done and did a couple of sprints up the last hill. We then had to answer questions about the names of the hills and did 10 press ups for each we got wrong. After that we had a shower and got changed. We had a couple of presentations and went to the shop. After i sorted my stuff for the next day i got an early night.
    Wednesday
    We got up early as we were going to the para block. These lads had just went p company so most of us looked at them with awe. They were getting punished in the corridor with various types of planks for not changing there webbing from p company type to exercise type. We then got a chat with them and they were sound lads. After this we had breakfast with them and we asked them loads of questions. We then got changed for the steeplechase. This was a hangout. We had a warm up and then got into it. This was a hangout. Again my chest got super tight. I did not do well in this. I ended up getting 20 minutes on it which is a crap time. One lad did it in 15. After this we got cleaned up and had more briefings. We got to see some weapons from the armoury which was cool. That night a corpral brought in a tv and we all watched band of brothers which was great. We also had a history and knowledge test about the regiment.
    Thursday
    Today was the pfa. After we marched up to the gym we did our press ups and sit ups. This was fine then we went outside for the run. The warm up lap was quite fast and after that we set off. All our legs were quite tired from the previous two days and no one had a pb. Its a tough course but not awful. We then cleaned up and and got in our suits. We got in our suits for our final interviews. I knew i didn't do well but the Sergent and corpral said they liked my attitude and would love to see me back when i was fitter.
    My stats were
    Pfa - 9.45
    Press ups 55
    Sit ups 63
    Steeplechase- 20.10
    4 miler - fail
    Ill be back in hopefully 4-6 weeks of smashing the phys.

• Like Like x 2
  2. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    unlucky mate, those are great stats still just keep your head up and smash it in a few weeks. whats your best 1.5 time?

3. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Gen mate youve not done that bad youd easily pass your second time. 15 minutes on steeplechase is rapid. If he stays in hed probs be top steeplechase runner with that time. Your pfa isnt a drama. Steeplechase you *text deleted* take some time off as you know but youll be fine there.

Hats off to you for posting this.
    I remember in depot looking at those with green disc berets in Awe and then those who passed p company in awe

• Like Like x 1
  4. laughinqlad19

laughinqlad19 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    My best time is 9.20 but that was on the flat with fresh legs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. laughinqlad19

laughinqlad19 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks so much. You have really helped me out with all the info you have given me. My new date is December 10 so thats 7 weeks to smash the phys. I hopefully want to get into depot for january if i pass.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    That’s a savage way round of doing the tests, at least on a PRMC you do gym tests fresh and the BFT fairly fresh!

• Like Like x 1
  7. laughinqlad19

laughinqlad19 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah but Thursday was the first day i felt i could breath properly so at least i could give it a fair shot.

8. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    One lad who was in that P-coy platoon was in my old platoon. We both jacked first time round he Re-joined now hes passed p-coy and will finish training soon.

We all get knocked down, you just have to get back up and try again. Never give up.

Best of luck next time. You can do it.

9. laughinqlad19

laughinqlad19 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks mate thats geuinley motivational.

10. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

The catterick route is pretty gopping as well to be fair

11. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

7 weeks bags of time steeplechase will be mighty cold like

12. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Did either of you lads to cross training before?

13. laughinqlad19

laughinqlad19 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sorry mate dont understand your question

14. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    did you do things such as rowing cycling etc. on top of running

15. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

No i trained specifically cross fit is good fitness but running endurance running sprints strength conditioning smart training

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

To be fair, apologies. Spinning rowing swimming are good inbetween hard impact sessions. I did for prac usually
    4-6 mile run depending on how conditioned i was. Was usually trying to hit 8 min mile then do 10 hillsprints to finish
    Swimming session every 2 laps i did 10 push ups 10 lifts out the side 10 leg raises 10 crunches
    4 mile rub with 10 hill sprints but for last 5 i did 5 burpees before each
    Circuit usually strength conditioning 3 sets probably 8 stations 1 min 20 on 45 off
    Later in the training i added sprints after the gym up hills aswell

Every week i did circuit before i did 2 min push ups and 2 minute sit up sometimes after the circuit just to mix up being in rag

• Like Like x 1