Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Prac diary

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by john lewis, Sep 20, 2018.

1. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I know this is a marines forum but quite a few lads wanting to join paras on here or are just interested in knowing bit about prac so here goes. Sorry if anything doesn't make sense I'm still monging.

Day 1
    Arrived at Darlington station around midday suit and tie, luckily met a lad on the train who was going so didn't turn up alone. Waited outside the station for the other lads then went up to the coach to the corporal who sorted us all out and got us on the coach with a packed lunch ( sausage roll might be cold but I recommend eating it as it's your only meal before pfa).
    You get there and go into the accommodation line up in the corridor and you're put into your rooms and given a number and your kit for the 3 days. You then get into your running stuff (make sure you have proper running shoes) and go to your pfa.
    The pfa started well press ups sit ups I got pbs in which I was happy and most lads did reasonable in this with the odd machine in there. You then go out for the 1.5 miler, you get taken round the loop once my the Pt staff then 2 laps best effort minus the hill on the second lap! My advice for this lads was train for a hard warmup it ain't too far but it's at a good pace and makes a difference on your mile and a half and to be honest it's a *text deleted* excuse blaming the warmup. Off we went best effort, it's a bit hilly so train for this but 100% doable. Got 9:58 minutes on this which was shite especially after a 9:04 at assessment centre! (Luckily we got a redo or day 3). We then did an ice breaker!
    Rest of the day was just scran and boot polishing block jobs and bed.

Day 2
    Got up at 5 showered/shaved ready for the day and lined up in the corridor for water parade, basically you fill up a mug of water and see it off. Then you head down for breakfast, come and get ready for steeplechase.
    The steeplechase lads its horrendous but fun, you get taken on a 'run through' where you learn the route and prove you can do the obstacles safely. For me this was a right mental battle the corporals put in a decent pace on this and you stop at every obstacle to try it and everyone has go after a demonstration, which for me made it feel like it was a half hour route, it ain't! You'll get soaked during this your boots will fill up with water your trousers will be heavy and if you're like me you'll take a neck high dunk falling over which doesn't help the weight. You then start out on a rugby pitch for a best effort attempt, wait to be told to go then sprint across it to the woods with the steeplechase in it! I use the term sprint loosely, I was putting the effort in for a sprint but looked like more of a jog as my legs were already dead! For me this was a real eye opener that I need to smash my leg endurance, as I shuffled my way round the course genuinely going as fast as I could! For me this was a mental battle massively on how much I wanted it as my legs really didn't want to move! However it does end and some lads smashed it, to pass this you need to be getting under 18 minutes! We then got cleaned up, washed our boots and went and watched a presentation, ate lunch, got a chance to speak to some lads in training which I highly recommend picking there brains as much as you can as the corporals aren't there so they're honest with you! Then had a presentation on weapons, did a test on the parachute regiment, ate dinner then finished with block jobs and got ready for the next day!

Day 3
    Same as day 2 get up, ready, water parade, breakfast then block jobs. We then fortunately got another chance at the mile and a half as only 2 lads had got under 9:30 out of 12! This time no one had any excuses we got a decent warm up then set off, this is where everyone dug out after seeing how much they wanted to be here! The 2 lads who'd smashed it the first day got a rest here which came in handy later but they'd earned it! After this we went for a 'taste' of the familiarisation run. This was a pure leg burner, just listen to instructions and the names of the hills and just keep going! Was a point where I'm sure the corporal walked past me running up the hill but I didn't stop was even crawling a bit at one point! However like the steeplechase it doesn't go on for ever and is 100% doable.
    After this we got showered sorted out our rooms ready for the next prac did block jobs and got told if we'd passed or failed.
    12 lads on the course 2 got a b grade and 6 of us got D+ as we did enough on one test to pass even though we'd failed a different test! We also had on lad with us who was a rejoin and I can't thank him enough for how helpful he was a proper decent bloke whose been there and done it and decided he wants to come back to it!

61 press ups
    67 sit ups
    1.5 miler 9:31
    Steeplechase 18:35 fail
    Passed on a high risk as I was one of the 6, not ideal but I'm over the moon.
    You do get chance to ask the corporals question and they do treat you decent on this course as you're not in training yet! They're proper decent blokes and you want to impress them, we were told we had the best attitude out of any troop this year even though we were 100% not the fittest!

Advice id give
    Show respect to your corporals they're where you want to be and have seen and done a lot.
    If they shout corridor run as fast as you can and line up.
    Eat properly.
    Train your press ups and sit ups before.
    Get used to hills they're everywhere, I regret not doing this.
    Enjoy yourself, genuinely had a great crack with the lads and can't wait to start rt with them.

Anyone wanting to join paras pop up to me and I'll happily answer any questions you have.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

I know of one bloke who is doing prac in a month on this forum. I see the layout hasnt changed.

PRAC is a weird one. You may sit there and see the fittest blokes and think, yeah they have no dramas theyll smash depot or theyll have blokes who. Like yourself, have shown intergrity and said "i failed the steeplchase, i didnt train endurance enough on hills" and so forth. Those blokes tend to pass out. The 3 fittest guys on my prac could handle para reg depot fitness, but 2 DAOR and 1 transfered to a line unit. But I mean most people can be fit. Its about that mindset when they just dont stop ruining your day or keeping you up late or doing something not needed to test your metal that gets you to finish PARA Depot compared to line infantry. I'm happy you have passed. The steeplechase was my biggest weakness in depot, its hard especialy getting under 19 with the assault course. But you'll get there, they dont set you up for failure.

Id like to hear from time to time your weekly update if your doing ok.

Get through depot get that maroon machines its really worth it

Every man an emporer

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. john lewis

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thankyou for that, and thankyou for all the advice you've given me in the build up to it made a big difference! The corporals told us paras are made in the corridors and to be ready to get beasted in them ahha!
    Will 100% keep in touch In training, your weekly diary was quality!

4. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Thats true you are made in the corridors some crazy things happen there!
    I'm glad its there for insight and to help

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. laughinqlad19

laughinqlad19 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Great to see you pass mate. Was there any sort of history test.

6. john lewis

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Yeah lad message me and I'll help yuh

7. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    my mate was in the troop that was getting filmed and has told me some savage stories about the corridor beastings!

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  8. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Yeah they are sometimes very imaginitive but they seperate who wants be there. They wont be on tv thougy

• Like Like x 1