Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRAC Pass

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by RoyalBoot, Jul 25, 2017.

1. RoyalBoot

RoyalBoot Royal Marines Commando

Just thought I'd write about my experiences of PRAC and how I found it.

I was luckily enough to have a fairly short journey to Darlington station and once I got there met up with a few lads and got chatting to them until we got to Catterick. After a short brief it was time for the 4 mile familiarisation run. It was definitely much tougher than I thought it would be. You basically have to keep up with the PTI around all the hills whilst having to remember the names of them. We then got a mini 'extra phys' at the end for not remembering them all but soon came to an end which was a relief. We then had a couple of briefs, had some scran and then began to settle down to what was a relaxed afternoon.

The second day began nice and early and after some breakfast the cleaning was done around the block and we then got ready for the steeplechase. Again, a hang out but was fun at the same time. It's basically around 2 miles of obstacles, jumping over fences, running through water that kind of thing. The first lap was a warm up and then after a short rest was the real thing. There's no easy way to do it apart from dig out and keep going until you reach the end. After what felt like hours I finally reached the end and was glad to see it. Later that day we had a small weapons lecture looking the the SA80, LMG and GMPG. We then had a chance to talk to some lads from Falklands which allowed us the opportunity to get some good info. After some more lectures and scran we was briefed for the next day and was told to prepare for that.

After the same morning as the first we then prepared ourselves for the 1.5 miles, press ups and sit ups. We began with the body weight exercises, and discipline was high here. Perfect form was expected and any different you was penalised so don't slack in form when performing them at home. It was then time for the 1.5 mile and after the warm up we was stood at the start ready to go. The 9 minutes just flew by and before we knew it, it was time for the cool down. We went back to the block, cleaned and got ourselves into suits to await the results.

It felt hours until we found out but eventually was told I had passed which felt amazing.

Just a brief outline lads as we've had two PRAC diaries already but to sum it up it was a very tough 3 days and definitely pushed me. I'm just prepping for training now, hoping for the 10th September. I've decided to up my weekly running mileage to get more endurance in my legs and prepare as much as I can mentally as much as physically.

Any quezzies lads fire away and I'll answer them best as possible.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Brief detailed but a good diary and I hope you do get 10th September. I'm amazed they changed it to 4 miler first then steeple then 1.5 miler. I definitely found the 4 miler ok but because of tired legs you felt bogged down. Let us know if you get the date ill add you on another social media and any others you have met who have gone for it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Well done. That's the easy part out of the way. Don't jack on fitness keep it up into you start RT. A day in RT is PRAC aha

Take it easy in training aswell, always stretch and use a foam roller before bed.

Any questions about life in RT ask away.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RoyalBoot

Cheers mate, definitely a very long way off still.

Hope trainings going well for you.
    How's your injury getting on? Healed now or still playing up?

Just a quick one, what mileage do you reckon to be running? Is there a lot longer runs or still the short and sharp ones?

5. Shadow Frog

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Unfortunately I left training because of my injurie but done 6 weeks so have a good idea of what goes down.

I would do a bit of both long and short runs.
    On your first week you will only do a PFA.
    Second week you will be running 5miles at 8min mile then 7miles 8min mile and so on.

But honestly the hardest thing about training is everything but fitness. Yeah phys is hard but not as hard as you think when your there. Phys was least on my mind when I was there.

Study and learn all aspects of the weapon system. You get given a "best book" where you right up everything you've learnt that day so be switched on. At the end of each week you get an exam on what you've learnt. If you fail you don't get weekends off aha

6. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

So what happens most week one what day do you get your issues kit

7. Shadow Frog

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    We got kit issued day 1. When speaking to the other platoons up there they didn't get kit issued into end of week 1.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  8. Shadow Frog

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Also make sure you get decent padlocks if they look week the corprals will smash them open. Also make sure you lock your locker before leaving the room. You will be introduced to the locker monster at week 2 ;)

9. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

You do a big day of medical dont you? So what is mainly week 1

10. Shadow Frog

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah that's on the second day.

It goes Monday kit issued, intro to the gym and other facilities.

Tuesday: medical all day.

Wednesday: gym session, regiment history ect

Thursday: mostly classroom work

Friday : PFA and more class room work.

Saturday: class room work and church.

Sunday admin ect

Heads up, don't go in the shower before being stood down!

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  11. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Surprisingly little phys week 1 whats week 2 this is all gold

12. Shadow Frog

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Week 2

Is mainly getting used to the weapon systems and studying the different parts of the weapon.

You do two 7mile runs and on Wednesday you have one night in the field Learning field craft ect and on a trip that weekend.

On the weekends we were watching Band of brothers into one of the lads got caught sleeping!:mad:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shadow Frog

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    There's one corpral who you really don't want to *text deleted* with aha so be very careful around him!

No names.

14. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

What are weekends they full days or

15. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

7 mile run eee bet that hits injury town. But it all sounds ok but thats with sleep deprivation

16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Memory Lane:
    Back in the Aldershot days (1976) that first little trip out into the cuds was called Ex Steel Eagle. Basically a tab into a training area on a Thursday, getting lost on Hankley Common, being bounced by grumpy Gurkhas and then a tab out again on the Saturday in plenty of time for the TT to have a fight in The Globetrotter.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  17. Shadow Frog

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah that's where I got injured. The shoes issued are *text deleted* you might aswell run bear foot.

And yeah with 4hours sleep aha

18. RoyalBoot

That's unfortunate but still a massive achievement making it that far, think you'll have another crack of the whip in the future?

19. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    How come you guys ended up going for the Paras? I'm assuming that as you're here you were looking at the RM at some point.

I may be looking at trying for the paras if the navy denies my appeal, wondering if it was the same situation for you guys.

20. Shadow Frog

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Most definitely mate.