Practice PJFT

SWIFTY

Reaction score
I ran my "Mock" test today, currently doing a peak flow so have got about a month to 6 weeks to crack on, im disappointed to say the least... I ran my first in 12.02 and got 3 min into my second before i stopped.. was running at 15.13kph.. is it possible for me to get this time down in a month?

SWIFTY

Reaction score
I ran my "Mock" test today, currently doing a peak flow so have got about a month to 6 weeks to crack on, im disappointed to say the least... I ran my first in 12.02 and got 3 min into my second before i stopped.. was running at 15.13kph.. is it possible for me to get this time down in a month?
Well not get time down! Finishing it first would help!

MW123

Reaction score
Definetly possible man. Train hard , eat well and sleep. A month is plenty to reach that goal , Doing 2.4 in 12 then following up with a steady 3 mins at 15km is the big hurdle. You just need to tweak it and keep going. When traning weights the first 80% of progression takes 20% effort, the last 20% takes 80% effort, this is reversed in my opion when it comes to cardio fitness.

Chrisswan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
month before my pjft i was getting 10:10 - 10:20 minuete returns on my pjft i got 9:27 so yes you can get it down, but the adrenaline on the day gets you through it

Vapour

Reaction score
why bother running in 12 when the run is 12.30.... 11.9kph will bring you at 12.30.

seustace89

Reaction score
Some running Tips

Well not get time down! Finishing it first would help!
A really useful way of getting this time down, or helping you finish, is fartlek training. Basically running at different speeds.

Do your first 12:30 run as close to 12:30 as possible, don't need to waste energy if you don't need, then have 30 seconds rest, then (In training) begin running at 12-13km/h for 2mins 30s then 30s at 16km/h, repeat until you complete your 1.5 miles, this will at first be slower than you need, but you'll be building up lactate in your body after every fast run and then continuing to run with that lactic. this is what is stopping you from pushing yourself to your maximum, so training yourself to flush it out or deal with it more effectively is the way forward. With every week either increase 'fast run' duration or increase speed of 'recovery' run. Then when you come to your test you should be able to run slower than your fast run but faster than your recovery run and should complete the run within 10 minutes.

But don't forget you'll have to aim to do this probably 2-3 times a week, preferably twice each session, plus your longer runs of 5 miles 2-3 times a week (5 in total from both) you'll soon see your running fitness improve, just keep up the hard work. Don't forget your rest days and eating well! Especially meat and pasta with lots of fruit and veg!

Remember when the going gets tough, be tough!

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
definately possible mate, the best thing that worked for me was hill sprints. one hill sprint session a week, along with interval training (fartleks good, I was doing 6*800m at 15.5, with a 200m walk at 6 in between).
add in some plyometrics on your legs (tuck jumps, burpees, squat jumps and knees to chest) and try run the occasional mock and you'll begin to find it much easier.
The most important thing for me was to increase the power in my legs, as I found the incline felt like a killer at first, and when you've got that under control its a totally different test.

Dan Felix

Reaction score
. When traning weights the first 80% of progression takes 20% effort, the last 20% takes 80% effort, this is reversed in my opion when it comes to cardio fitness.
I believe this is called the "Pareto effect" ;)

SWIFTY

Reaction score
Plan is to run return with .5% incline, and increase it by .5% every week.. im also doing 2 hill sprints and fartlek sessions a week... should crack it. cant fall at the first hurdle!!

arms_a

Reaction score
Just start with practicing the second leg. If your fit the first leg should be easy at around 12.5kph and you're not really improving your fitness doing it, it just serves as a warm up.

Once you can do the second leg easily enough, or you can actully do it add the first leg.

I find a good plan for the second leg is up to the first min on 15kph, second min 16kph and third min 17kph. Then repeat to the end. Gets an alright time and I prefer it compared to running at a fixed speed. Also breaking it down makes it alot easier compared to counting down 2.4km you just count down individual minutes.

MYCAELIS

Reaction score
is my gym the only gym that uses mph on the treadmill XD

SWIFTY

Reaction score
Right, still havent finished it... what the hell! however just finished a 5.5 mile run with a pace of 7.20min/miles? is that good or is that me been dumb?! surley i should be able todo the 2.4km run!!

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thats a good speed over that distance. forget 5.5 mile runs though, in fact pretty much forget any runs over 3 miles, you dont need them at this point.
have a look at doing 800m at a speed of 15-16 on the treadmill, then 200m at 6, and do this 6 times. and make sure your doing hill sprints, they make your times fly down.
Have a look at plyometrics too. They make your legs a lot stronger.
I didnt do a single outdoor run until I could comfortably manage PJFT, your much better off getting used to treadmills for a treadmill test.

JustMe

Reaction score
What works for me is doing the first one, fine, then when it gets to the second one, ensure you run further (even if it's by 0.1 of a km/m ) than you did last time, until you run the full 2.4km/1.5m back.

On the second leg, when it gets unbearable, just look around and think of some weird things etc for another ten seconds, then when you snap out of it tell yourself you may as well do another ten seconds because then you can press the stop button etc etc. Literally, only press the stop button when it becomes absolutely, totally and utterly unbearable. Easier said than done admittedly, but feels brilliant doing that rather than jumping off when you had that last 10 seconds of push left in you.

Also, when you get to your failure point on whatever level your on, perhaps instead of stopping, just lower the level right down, giving you a ridiculously high return time, but a return time nonetheless, and a return time to break down and break down to eventually under 10 minutes.

Just my two cents worth mate.

AlexGud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A thing that I did was to never stop, this sounds ridiculous but what I mean is, when your at the point where you cant physically go any longer, dont press the big red shiny button, but just lower to speed, even to a walkin pace if you have to, then after 20 - 30 seconds start increasin it slightly.

Basically make sure you ALWAYS finish, no matter whether the return is in 13 minutes, just make sure you finish it. That way you have a PB which you can improve on, from there on just make sure that you improve on this PB, even if it's only by a couple of seconds, within just a couple weeks you'll have cracked it.

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Did a practice test today too... Distinctly lacking.... 1st 2:40 km 11:58 and 2nd 10:34. *text deleted**text deleted** get some hill running and solid treadmill sprints! And *text deleted**text deleted** get a mate to pace me on push bike!

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok lads so time for some good news. Second mock pjft today.... Totally smashed it! 11:48 and comfortably over the line and return of 9:38 without killing myself. It's all about getting that 15.5 - 16.5km set and switching off the sense of how long left....that will get you home with a bit spare! Taking the real deal on Sunday!

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Reporting live from gym....PJFT HAS BEEN SMASHED 11.45 AN RETURN OF 9.23 AND NEW PB!

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A few people have said this but my first time I got similar times, so I wanted to show that I'm back to same standard as before.

SWIFTY

Reaction score
Right.. this is irritating me massively now been training solidly since February time, and im still not hitting this PJFT times, every time i go on a treadmill im failing! My Current training is as follows

Monday - 4 Mile Run on the road about an 8min/mile
Tuesday - BMF Circuits Class
Wednesday - 3 Mile Run - 6-7min/mile
Thursday - BMF Class (Green Bib)
Friday - BMF Running Class tends to be interval training or hill sprints.

I feel a lot fitter! I've lost 1.5 stone! i cant see where the problem is! if anyone can help me training wise it would be appreciated.